The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Two Ponds, Five Fish  (Read 1550 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Two Ponds, Five Fish
« on: Jan 21, 2023, 05:06 PM »
Today was overcast, with temps in the upper 20's, and intermittent light sleet.

I fished Windsor (a/k/a Dukes) Pond in Windsor, MA from 11 AM to 2 PM.

There was 2o r 3 inches of wet snow over another 1 or 2 inches of slush on top of 9 inches of poor quality ice.

There were lots of fishermen there - - and all the parking spots by the Pond itself were occupied, so I had to park my car 1/4 mile down the road and walk back to the Pond.

Overall, the fishing seemed to be slow (from what I saw of most of the other fishermen there), but I got lucky.

I had three flags (two on one tip up and one on another) which resulted in my landing a small (10") brown.

Later in the afternoon, I caught a nice 13" rainbow while jigging.

Around 2 PM I picked up my gear, dropped off my two trout at a family friend's house nearby, and headed to K of C Pond on the boundary between Plainfield and Hawley, where I fished between 2:30 and 4 PM.

Weather and ice conditions were essentially the same as at Windsor Pond, but I had the Pond to myself.

I ended up with three mediocre pickerel (two on a deadstick and one while jigging) before heading home.

On the drie home, I saw (and nearly ran over) what i think was a mink (but may have been a weasel) crossing Route 116.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Two Ponds, Five Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2023, 05:30 AM »
Hitting chesire today if you or anyone else wants to join.  Going out on the second lake to see if I can improve.  Scouted and set up yesterday and had a few flags in the hour I was there. 

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2023, 04:31 PM »
Well, I must say that you definitely made the best of it and fishing two places in one day. I think that I have only done that once in my lifetime. Nice work. I had a decent day with a dozen pickerel and six perch. Nothing of any size, but good to keep getting on the ice.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2023, 04:50 PM »
Been by onota at alll? Wondering how it’s doing over there by the ramp.

Hitting chesire today if you or anyone else wants to join.  Going out on the second lake to see if I can improve.  Scouted and set up yesterday and had a few flags in the hour I was there.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2023, 05:06 PM »
Been by onota at alll? Wondering how it’s doing over there by the ramp.

Sorry, I have not tried ice fishing in Pittsfield (Onota or Pontoosuc) this season, so I cannot say.

Even in "normal" years (when the ice is better), I don't generally ice fish on Onota or Pontoosuc because they're so big I have difficulty deciding where to target.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2023, 05:31 PM »
Thanks went out west to target my first pike years ago and got a 12lber at onota. Usually do an overnight for smelt and like in the am. Forgot Cheshire is a little ways away.  6 trips in Cheshire for me over the years think I might have gotten one flag. Good luck out there

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2023, 09:22 PM »
Thanks went out west to target my first pike years ago and got a 12lber at onota. Usually do an overnight for smelt and like in the am. Forgot Cheshire is a little ways away.  6 trips in Cheshire for me over the years think I might have gotten one flag. Good luck out there

Onota is about 3-4 inches at the cucumber water smelling fish (smelt) spot
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2023, 12:19 PM »
 I was on Plainfield this weekend, jigged a few small perch and one gill. There was plenty of ice (7 inches) but the snow made it too hard to move around and search for fish.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:09 AM »
Onota is about 3-4 inches at the cucumber water smelling fish (smelt) spot

They smell like melon to me.  Weird things.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2023, 10:06 AM »
They smell like melon to me.  Weird things.
We should make a smelt scented candle

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:43 AM »
SOME GOOD DAYS AND SOME BAD DAYS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.