The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: 2023...ROTTEN WEATHER=ROTTEN FISH ACTION/YIELDS  (Read 1499 times)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
2023...ROTTEN WEATHER=ROTTEN FISH ACTION/YIELDS
« on: Jan 24, 2023, 11:55 AM »
IT SEEMS THE GUYS WHO ARE GETTING OUT AND FINDING FISHABLE ICE ARE NOT GETTING THE NORMAL ACTION????? ???AND IF THAT IS TRUE DOES THE POOR WEATHER AFFECTING THE ACTION?? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???? ??? DO THE FISH KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW???? lol :)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2023...ROTTEN WEATHER=ROTTEN FISH ACTION/YIELDS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2023, 12:09 PM »
DO YOU KNOW THE TEMP. TODAY IN CHICOPEE,MA  AND JUNEAU,AK ARE THE SAME......40F......... ..THINK ABOUT THAT ONE GUYS/// ??? ???

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2023, 12:19 PM »
I can only speak for myself.
I went once this year. After driving an hour north and checking several of the good lakes, we settled for the only safe ice we could find.
The results were a bunch of 10 inch or smaller pickerel.

I rate that as poor fishing and not worth wasting my shiners on. But it was because we had to settle for fishing a pond we would never fish if there was ice on the places we like.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2023, 12:28 PM »
HERE IS ANOTHER ONE....JUNEAU,AK IS 1824 MILES FROM THE NORTH POLE........CHICOPEE,MA IS 3306 MILES FROM THE NORTH POLE.....?????SAME TEMP??/ ???

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2023, 12:52 PM »
Juneau is always warmer it's southeast Alaska and it's weather is from Southern currents. I have been there many times, the mountains that surround Juneau are snow-covered year round yet the main city is at sea level. The winter there is similar to here where some years they are buried in snow and others they are all rain. Summers there however are typically low 60 and lost of rain. Beautiful place but depressing to live.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2023, 01:18 PM »
All I can say is I wish I've had the time to experience even crapty ice fishing so far this season...I haven't gotten out on hard water one time yet, between lack of ice and lack of time.  Got a long weekend booked soon to head north so at least I'll get out once, and I'll be happy to be out regardless of how the fishing goes.
-Matt

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2023, 02:19 PM »
IT SEEMS THE GUYS WHO ARE GETTING OUT AND FINDING FISHABLE ICE ARE NOT GETTING THE NORMAL ACTION????? ???AND IF THAT IS TRUE DOES THE POOR WEATHER AFFECTING THE ACTION?? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???? ??? DO THE FISH KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW???? lol :)
I haven't noticed a difference in the action. The ponds I know that freeze fast and early in north central ma are notoriously slow ponds so the action is always slow.

Infiniti

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2023, 02:58 PM »
I got out on Cheshire last weekend, 2 pike couple nice bass handful of jumbo perch and loads of pickerel. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a flag.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2023, 03:04 PM »
I got out on Cheshire last weekend, 2 pike couple nice bass handful of jumbo perch and loads of pickerel. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a flag.
            that's a dam good day for cheshire. Usually fishes slow

Infiniti

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2023, 03:50 PM »
            that's a dam good day for cheshire. Usually fishes slow
Must have just been a hot bite that day because the people next to us and across the water from us had near constant flags as well. I had a good time but I don't know if I'll go back any time soon because the pickerel were just ridiculous and none of them were even decent size I'm talking 8-12 inch pickerel all day long.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Must have just been a hot bite that day because the people next to us and across the water from us had near constant flags as well. I had a good time but I don't know if I'll go back any time soon because the pickerel were just ridiculous and none of them were even decent size I'm talking 8-12 inch pickerel all day long.
      small bait? It is overrun with pickerel though. I'm not advising or recommending but those 8 inch slime darts are nice dead baits on a hook.

Infiniti

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2023, 04:47 PM »
      small bait? It is overrun with pickerel though. I'm not advising or recommending but those 8 inch slime darts are nice dead baits on a hook.
Yeah unfortunately I think you're on to something, the mediums we got from the bait shop right next to the lake were more like smalls IMO. We actually had several stolen without setting off the flag I'm guessing it was perch and tiny pickerel doing it. His pike bait was good though, both pike came on pike bait. Might try it again some time with larger shiners, thanks for the tip.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:29 PM »
I’m not sure about the weather being so rotten and the fishing being off, because I have been able to get out every weekend since Xmas and the fishing has been pretty good so far. Just got to keep on moving around and search for where the fish are located. Just need to be persistent and you’ll find them. Good luck

Offline ufirst

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:12 AM »
Ice fishing the cape 2023   I’ve seen more ice in a cocktail glass than on the cape. If you want to come ice fishing then bring your 12 foot tin boat and try it that way.   

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:14 AM »
I’m not sure about the weather being so rotten and the fishing being off, because I have been able to get out every weekend since Xmas and the fishing has been pretty good so far. Just got to keep on moving around and search for where the fish are located. Just need to be persistent and you’ll find them. Good luck
Same here, I've been on a few different bodies of water. I had better luck my first few trips out but I guess that's why its called fishing not catching.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:29 AM »
Fishing has been slightly better than normal, just have to log off and go do some.
I don't bother posting any pics or trip stories here anymore, this page turned into a complaining forum. The page admin should be booting out the useless complainers that turn off actual fishermen.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2023, 01:47 PM »
Fishing has been slightly better than normal, just have to log off and go do some.
I don't bother posting any pics or trip stories here anymore, this page turned into a complaining forum. The page admin should be booting out the useless complainers that turn off actual fishermen.

Definitely not the same as it used to be. Fb groups didn't help.
I see just as much whining in all fb groups through.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2023, 02:31 PM »
If you and others that actually have ice don’t post any trip reports then how can this forum be anything but complainers.
Bogtrotter is really the only person posting anything.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2023, 03:54 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:30 PM »
Obviously in an ice fishing forum ice is kinda important. If ice is not available, that's the topic most often discussed regarding ice fishing.
Not really sure why the offends.

Meanwhile  it is possible to complain about lack of ice while also going fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.