The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Follow Up Ice and Fishing Report  (Read 1135 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Follow Up Ice and Fishing Report
« on: Jan 15, 2023, 04:36 PM »
Today was supposed to be another day of scouting local ponds so as to decide where to take a friend (who hasn't gone in decades) tomorrow.

Unfortunately, although today's weather was beautiful, it turned out to be a bit of a bust.

Sunny, blue skies, light breeze, temps in the mid-20's.

First, I drove to Williamstown to check out Bridges Pond.

It's a nice small pond that holds some bass, but requires walking about a half mile down some railroad tracks (and back) from the closest parking spot.

I made the hike with my gear, but discovered that 3/4 of Bridges was open water, and the rest only covered in skim ice.

As a silver lining, on my walk back to my car, I saw a big doe crossing the tracks up ahead.

Next, I drove to Mausert's Pond in Clarksburg, and fished there from about noon to 4 PM.

By contrast with Bridges Pond, ice conditions at Mausert's were optimal: 9" of skating rink quality ice.

The setting was also pretty neat - - 10 windmills (none of them spinning) sit atop a ridge that overlooks the pond, with only the top of the ridge covered in snow.  An interesting contrast in colors.

And I had the place to myself, apart from some walkers and one guy who came out late in the day to skate.

Unfortunately, though, the fishing was pretty lousy - - just one flag (but no fish) on the tip up, one pygmy (7") pickerel landed on a dead stick (baited with a 3" shiner) and four equally tiny perch reeled in on my jigging rod.

Then, when I got home, I learned my friend had to back out of tomorrow's outing due to a family issue.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day - - and a holiday to boot.

Maybe I'll go stream fishing instead.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Follow Up Ice and Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:01 PM »
Nice outting Jim.  Im taking the boat up north or hitting trout in the river.  See where the mood and morning takes me.  20 degrees and 60 mph is a heck of a windchill.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2023, 02:41 PM »
nice work, putting the time in ;D

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:50 PM »
Wow, that’s a tough trek down the tracks and come up with no ice and then slow second pond. Hopefully a better outing on your next trip and more ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.