The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 3439 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Weather
« on: Jan 09, 2023, 05:21 PM »
more warm weather and a crapload of rain coming this weekend. ARGH!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:28 AM »
more warm weather and a crapload of rain coming this weekend. ARGH!

I can't catch a break. I keep postponing my vacation....

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:45 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? :'(

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2023, 07:21 AM »
This winter has absolutely sucked. We got close in December with that cold snap and haven't come close.

I took February school vacation off, hoping my gamble pays off but at this rate I don't feel great about it.
Marking anything?

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I put the ice gear away and took out the rods. The trout fishing has been absolutely phenomenal. just need to make lemonade from the lemons

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2023, 09:08 AM »
Yup, moving the boat back in the driveway.  Got out 5 times in 1 week. only 1 flag.  Good season.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2023, 09:47 AM »
I put the ice gear away and took out the rods. The trout fishing has been absolutely phenomenal. just need to make lemonade from the lemons

I'm with you there. Looks like we'll be fishing open water in the rain this weekend.
Oh well, like you said, lemonade. I got all these shiners,ay as well use them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:54 AM »

Its been excellent.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2023, 04:01 PM »
Although this year has been very disappointing ( I haven’t been out once and may not until the NH derby in Feb), let’s not forget the 2015 winter. Things can change very quickly. If it doesn’t, oh well. But it takes one week to make safe ice at this point in the season. Put the razor blades down. It ain’t over ….. yet

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2023, 05:04 PM »
Been out 9 or 10 times already, was out today...2 bass 3 1/2 and 4lb14oz. Going out the rest of the week also.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2023, 05:39 PM »
2015 was cold I remember 18 inches of black ice with 0 snow before the snow happened in late January, then in didn't stop snowing until March.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:40 PM »
Yes 2015 was tough once the snow started piling up but once it started getting going back down, I fished into mid April. Wouldn’t that be great again

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:48 PM »
Was on a solid 6 in the berks today going for toothy critters, ice is a little better then expected, the fishing...... not so much
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:54 PM »
No doubt theres some ice out there but personally if we never had ice again I wouldnt mind.  Thats why god made boats...and spot lock.  Jig year round.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:03 PM »
are the trout at spring time depths? I never fished for trout in winter before. shallow? deep? shiners on a float?

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:03 AM »
Yes they are shallow. Shiners under floats and on the bottom has been working well. Just find a place that was well stocked with browns in the spring a d has good holdover capabilities.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:41 AM »
No doubt theres some ice out there but personally if we never had ice again I wouldnt mind.  Thats why god made boats...and spot lock.  Jig year round.

Take it back! 😆
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:50 AM »
I miss the ice big time and my kid keeps asking when we are going. Tough pill to swallow for a 6 year old. But, if you don't adapt to your elements when you have what you need to do so, you simply won't ever learn anything new or enjoy what's attainable to you RIGHT NOW. Spot lock, special techniques, and electronics can dominate this time of year. Ill keep winning these gas money opens as long as I can until the ice is here or it turns into spring fishing. Almost 19lbs on 5 smallies this past weekend. Should have been over 20 but there is clearly time.

Just add water.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:54 AM »
Looks like the week after next will begin to cool off. Hopefully....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Good stuff Mike.  My kid wants to go too.  I spent a full day on candlewood for those bronze bass.  Didnt het skunkwd but they didnt want to play. I know where the ice is but having been so many times I dont mind the change. 

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2023, 01:19 PM »
I miss the ice big time and my kid keeps asking when we are going. Tough pill to swallow for a 6 year old. But, if you don't adapt to your elements when you have what you need to do so, you simply won't ever learn anything new or enjoy what's attainable to you RIGHT NOW. Spot lock, special techniques, and electronics can dominate this time of year. Ill keep winning these gas money opens as long as I can until the ice is here or it turns into spring fishing. Almost 19lbs on 5 smallies this past weekend. Should have been over 20 but there is clearly time.

nice bag Sharps ;D

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2023, 03:55 PM »

Nice bass. For some reason I enjoy fishing on the ice and don’t get cold but I don’t like fishing on a boat in the same weather. Maybe it’s the walking around on the ice that keeps me warm and from getting bored.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Got my hunting companion on his first ice pike!  I'm running big pondies with flouro and he shows up with bait shop medium shiners, Walmart steel leaders lol

if your not fishing, your not living

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:43 PM »
Nice bass. For some reason I enjoy fishing on the ice and don’t get cold but I don’t like fishing on a boat in the same weather. Maybe it’s the walking around on the ice that keeps me warm and from getting bored.

Right with you. Dragging gear out, setting up the shanty, grill, drilling holes etc is much more rewarding IMO. Sounds like some people are getting to the age where they need to head to FL in the winter.
westernmas on the finder

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:51 AM »
Right with you. Dragging gear out, setting up the shanty, grill, drilling holes etc is much more rewarding IMO. Sounds like some people are getting to the age where they need to head to FL in the winter.

More FYI- trolling wahoo and pitching live goggle eyes and bally to free jumping sail fish far exceeds jigging a 6in yellow perch out of some western ma pond, was just off Miami Beach last month it’s better than ice fishing

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:19 PM »
I like ice fishing, but it does not compare to open-water fishing (at least for me). Topwater is the part I miss the most in the winter, whether it is a trout sipping a fly, a bass sucking down a jitterbug, a school of blues greyhounding a plug, a fat striper smashing a popper or a bluefin tuna exploding on an offering, ice fishing just can't compare...

I understand, if a party with some fishing is what you want, then ice fishing is a better choice.

Me, I will try to make the best of whatever fishing I can do.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2023, 01:03 PM »

Your also not dealing with as much water while ice fishing as you are on a boat.
Just add water.

Offline Mikeski72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2023, 01:10 PM »
Well said, Stripernut. I’m with you on that quote. AMEN BROTHER!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:48 PM »
More FYI- trolling wahoo and pitching live goggle eyes and bally to free jumping sail fish far exceeds jigging a 6in yellow perch out of some western ma pond, was just off Miami Beach last month it’s better than ice fishing

Captain obvious has entered the chat. Let me go get my 33 footer and turbo diesel trick.
westernmas on the finder

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Everybody complains about the weather but no one does anything about it.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.