The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: WEATHEWR FORECAST SPRINGFIELD,MA. 30 day  (Read 6991 times)

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WEATHEWR FORECAST SPRINGFIELD,MA. 30 day
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2023, 11:40 AM »
Not sure which Mass you live in as I have fished 13 times after yesterday and I only fish on very safe ice!!!You only shoot the messenger when he is wrong!!! I was on 7" black ice yesterday, and 6 1/2 two days earlier, all VERY safe ice without leaving Mass. To many people on their phones talking about no ice rather than in their cars finding safe ice and fishing...,thats the real problem!!!

Or maybe the "problem" is that it's a big state with lots of variation between regions.
Maybe those of us complaining about no ice are talking about the ice in our local area. Normally we would have ice. Now we don't. That's the topic, as I see it.
By now anyone interested in safe ice in Massachusetts has heard "just go drive two hours" enough times to be sick of it.
No kidding, we get it.
The discussion as I see is that in our local area, an area that is always safe by mid January, guys are fishing out of kayaks in ponds 100% open.
We know about your ice. That ain't the point.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2023, 11:56 AM »
I feel real sorry for a guy that drives 1-2  hrs. an catches 1 fish.Ive been down that road hunting . fishing and trapping.

It's a matter of priorities for a lot of people, and many differ from yours.  I don't need to catch a bunch of fish to have a great time enjoying the outdoors.  I've had plenty of wonderful experiences where I've been skunked.  Again, priorities.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:31 PM »
Put a name (ponds) on all these inches of ice?? You live  to the east of the Ct. valley. It is 11:30 AM here an 40degrees with rain starting at 12:00..I got a history of going out to some of these minor ponds and catching very little. I am to old and to ice wise to go on to some unknown puddles I stick to the ones I fished year after yr.I feel real sorry for a guy that drives 1-2  hrs. an catches 1 fish.Ive been down that road hunting . fishing and trapping.
Sorry but you are 100% wrong, I do not live anywhere near eastern Mass, I live in Westfield and there are any near 10 lakes/ponds within a 1 hour drive with safe ice.
Secondly as Steve H says its all priority, I love ice "fishing" and thats why its called fishing not catching. If I fish all day and only get 1 fish thats ok, I love ice fishing and I can understand that you have  your good days and bad days but a day on the ice with friends fishing, cooking and eating is ALWAYS a good day to me. Some would rather sit at home on the couch and b***h about no ice and didnt catch anything etc. but you cant catch anything from the couch!!! It's there if you want to find it. I dont post lake names on facebook because I'm smarter than that during early ice when guys that dont ice fish a lot read there is safe ice and just walk out without a spud and go to far then go through!!! I spend a lot of money and time to find good ice and if you think a place like Onota or Pontusic are "puddles" then you dont know anything about ice fishing. I was going to message you a few places safe but your account doesnt accept personal messages. Please dont make assumptions about someont that you dont know.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Or maybe the "problem" is that it's a big state with lots of variation between regions.
Maybe those of us complaining about no ice are talking about the ice in our local area. Normally we would have ice. Now we don't. That's the topic, as I see it.
By now anyone interested in safe ice in Massachusetts has heard "just go drive two hours" enough times to be sick of it.
No kidding, we get it.
The discussion as I see is that in our local area, an area that is always safe by mid January, guys are fishing out of kayaks in ponds 100% open.
We know about your ice. That ain't the point.

You are right Mike but the point is what is "local" and how much do you love ice fishing. Anything within an hour and a half is local to me but I ice fish any time I can. I dont know where your "local" area is but there are people ice fishing on safe ice in central Mass, north central Mass and western Mass so no there may not be any in Eastern Mass but everywhere else there is! If people "get it" that they have to drive to get to safe ice but they know its there then why are they b***hing that there is no safe ice...1 1/2 to 2 hours is local...I drive that far to get bait sometimes!!!

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Not sure which Mass you live in as I have fished 13 times after yesterday and I only fish on very safe ice!!!You only shoot the messenger when he is wrong!!! I was on 7" black ice yesterday, and 6 1/2 two days earlier, all VERY safe ice without leaving Mass. To many people on their phones talking about no ice rather than in their cars finding safe ice and fishing...,thats the real problem!!!
I said there's no ice anywhere in the SPFLD area or anywhere at least 30 to 40 minutes from there. If you know of ice in the area, fish on.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:36 PM »
This season is a dud in my eyes. In best case scenario we get 4 weeks of ice at this point. Sure the higher elevation Berkshire and north central ponds have 7ish inches but in my opinion the fishing isn't worth the drive. I enjoy ice fishing and all but I also enjoy casting from the bank or boat and catching better fish during the same time of year.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:21 PM »
YOUR PICTURE LOCATION STATES ...Charton,Ma.....What are we expect to think???? ???I agree with the group this season STINKS and there is NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE IT PRETTY and SMELL LIKE A ROSE.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:34 PM »
If people "get it" that they have to drive to get to safe ice but they know its there then why are they b***hing that there is no safe ice...1 1/2 to 2 hours is local...I drive that far to get bait sometimes!!!

Because some people are cheap, lazy, and love to b!tch.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2023, 03:10 PM »
I don't think many people would consider 2 hours away local. Hell even an hour away I wouldn't consider it local. That's almost $50 in gas alone. With bait and food and drinks you're looking at 100 just to go fishing for a day. Fishing isn't supposed to be a rich man's sport and with everything going on a lot of people can't afford that every weekend. That's why so many people ask for ice reports because they can't afford to go waste time driving and looking.

I myself don't mind driving 2+hours to fish once in a while but when I can keep it under half hour I definitely do. I understand not wanting to give an ice report if you have a small body of water you like to fish and don't want it mobbed but you're not hurting anything by talking about a popular lake.  Hell if people aren't smart enough to check the ice with a year like this, that's on them
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2023, 03:14 PM »
YOUR PICTURE LOCATION STATES ...Charton,Ma.....What are we expect to think???? ???I agree with the group this season STINKS and there is NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE IT PRETTY and SMELL LIKE A ROSE.
You dont make an assumtion thats whaty you dont do. I can name over 10 - 15 good safe lake to fish so in my opinion its a great year...plus with guys like you that are afraid to go out and look it is a lot less crowded for us guys who know what they are doing and arent afraid to look for safe ice.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2023, 03:39 PM »
This warm weather is driving most of us icefishermen nuts. Worst season I can remember. Let's remember to keep it amicable.
                                         BJ

Infiniti

« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:23 PM »
Let's not act like everyone who can't make 2-3 hour drives all the time is simply just lazy. Its been a bad year for ice any way you slice it, anyone that says otherwise is only fooling themselves. Just because you live in the Berkshires or can drive there often doesn't make you better than anyone else. The "there's ice if your not lazy" comments are really nasty and getting old at this point.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:42 PM »
Let's not act like everyone who can't make 2-3 hour drives all the time is simply just lazy. Its been a bad year for ice any way you slice it, anyone that says otherwise is only fooling themselves. Just because you live in the Berkshires or can drive there often doesn't make you better than anyone else. The "there's ice if your not lazy" comments are really nasty and getting old at this point.
Whats getting old is constantly hearing people complain there is no ice when there is plenty.I drive there often because I love the sport and understand that you cant always have ive 20 minutes down the road and if you love the sport and have ice an hour away then you either drive to fish or you dont but what you dont do is sit on your couch and complain, at least not on this site. I dont expect you to understand as you are a rookie here and have only been on this site for a very short time.

Infiniti

« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Whats getting old is constantly hearing people complain there is no ice when there is plenty.I drive there often because I love the sport and understand that you cant always have ive 20 minutes down the road and if you love the sport and have ice an hour away then you either drive to fish or you dont but what you dont do is sit on your couch and complain, at least not on this site. I dont expect you to understand as you are a rookie here and have only been on this site for a very short time.
I had to make a new account after forgetting my password and the password reset option refused to send me the email no matter what I did. I've been on here for several years. All you did was reiterate the douchey comments you and others have been making all season so I'll reiterate my point. Not everyone can drive hours away every weekend. This is the worst season for ice in Massachusetts in recent memory. Get that through your head dude. It doesn't matter if YOU don't mind driving and have plenty of free time. The fact of the matter is many of us who have had good ice nearby every year as far back as we can remember don't have good ice nearby this year. Your personal ability to get on ice does not change that fact. Its a crappy year for ice whether you like it or agree with it or not, that is a FACT. People have the right to say wow this year sucks without being called names for it.

Offline tipupman123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:08 PM »
I really don't get what these guys don't understand...some.peop le LOVE ice fishing...but do not have the time because of family work ect, OR enough money to afford the additional gas.  You say local is 2 hours away?  That's one of the craziest comments I've heard on here and I've been on here a LONG time.  Not everyone is in the same situation as you guys no matter how much they love the sport.  They aren't lazy, they don't like the sport less than you, they just may not be in the same shoes as you.  If people complaining about not having ice around them annoys you, how the hell do you think we all feel about you raiding every post saying "Get off your ass you lazy bums if you love this sport you'd drive 3 hours yo fish arg arg arg I'm tough".  Take it easy and try thinking a little less selfishly and from other peoples prespective.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:30 PM »
I need some cheese for all of this whine on both sides!

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2023, 08:50 PM »
jon you ate all that brie I sent u already?

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2023, 08:54 PM »

white or red Jon ;D ;D
MA

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:13 PM »
You are right Mike but the point is what is "local" and how much do you love ice fishing. Anything within an hour and a half is local to me but I ice fish any time I can. I dont know where your "local" area is but there are people ice fishing on safe ice in central Mass, north central Mass and western Mass so no there may not be any in Eastern Mass but everywhere else there is! If people "get it" that they have to drive to get to safe ice but they know its there then why are they b***hing that there is no safe ice...1 1/2 to 2 hours is local...I drive that far to get bait sometimes!!!
2 hours is local? Local to me is 5 minutes.
Have you looked at a map of Massachusetts? Much of the state is 1 to 2 hours east of Westfield. If you still need to drive 1.5-2 hours do the math. I’m certainly not wasting 4 to 5 hours a day driving to go catch a few perch. It’s not because I’m lazy and it’s not because I don’t like fishing.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:51 AM »

I'm in north central and anybody who claims to be on ice in my local area is flat out lying.

And for the record, I'm not sitting on my couch crying over lost ice. I have been out almost every weekend fishing open water and catching.
Today is the fly fishing show, next week Boxboro. I'm not stuck at home.

This is an ice fishing forum. Right now for most of the guys who live in Ma, the number one ice fishing topic is the lack of ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2023, 07:38 AM »
jon you ate all that brie I sent u already?

Hahahaha

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2023, 09:31 AM »
If people complaining about not having ice around them annoys you, how the hell do you think we all feel about you raiding every post saying "Get off your ass you lazy bums if you love this sport you'd drive 3 hours yo fish arg arg arg I'm tough".  Take it easy and try thinking a little less selfishly and from other peoples prespective.

I agree with this dude. I don't post much on the MA board because I don't fish much in MA. If I go north of CT to fish, it's much farther north. But whenever I do check out this board, Papa Sly's comments seem belittling and as if the fishing world revolves around him. Everyone has different circumstances. They wouldn't be on this site if they didn't love to fish.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2023, 10:10 AM »
MY HATS OFF TO YOU GOBAL WARMING IN CT....WELL DONE... FROM THE GUY WHO STARTED THIS TOPIC... RONBGOOD55

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2023, 11:54 AM »
Do you Western MA guys drive to the outer cape every weekend in the summer to catch sea robins and snapper blues? If not you’re a bunch of lazy bums with no live for the sport.  :)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2023, 01:21 PM »
I really don't get what these guys don't understand...some.peop le LOVE ice fishing...but do not have the time because of family work ect, OR enough money to afford the additional gas.  You say local is 2 hours away?  That's one of the craziest comments I've heard on here and I've been on here a LONG time.  Not everyone is in the same situation as you guys no matter how much they love the sport.  They aren't lazy, they don't like the sport less than you, they just may not be in the same shoes as you.  If people complaining about not having ice around them annoys you, how the hell do you think we all feel about you raiding every post saying "Get off your ass you lazy bums if you love this sport you'd drive 3 hours yo fish arg arg arg I'm tough".  Take it easy and try thinking a little less selfishly and from other peoples prespective.

Im not sure where you read that I told anyone to drive 3 hours to fish..thats a straight up lie!!! All I'm saying is there is so much good safe ice if you want to drive to get to it. I have private messaged several guys who messaged me telling them where the over 1 dozen lakes that are in Mass and safe. I guess you may be right though, I drive a couple hours no problem and cinsider that local as not only is it in my state but also in my county. I also drive to the Cape or R.I. often to ocean fish. I also know several guys who drive to Winnie or Lake George to laker fish and either sleep in their shanty or drive home that night. Sorry if guys got offended, anyone that knows me knows once ice is safe everywhere I have no problem sharing where I fish and meeting up. It's funny I got several private messages from guys agreeing with me but they just didnt want to put it up publically. How does people complaining about no ice non stop help our community in any way. I was trying to help by letting people that love to ice fish that there is safe ice around thats all. I know a lot of guys on here that drive 2 or 3 hours in the open water to ocean fish or fish in the canal and they dont think twice about it thats why I think 1-2 hours drive in the same state that you live is still local but I guess others dont agree and thats their perception.I am not going to comment anymore because I am giving the wrong idea as to even why I posted but if anyone really wants to get out and fish send me a message and I will help...tight lines Mike

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2023, 01:51 PM »
Eventually Mike, you will stop sharing like many have and then they will complain about that...

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2023, 02:06 PM »
Wow I really tried to read all the comments but gave up. 
Yes this is the worst winter I can remember in over 40 years.

The 30 day forecasting is a joke and those that understand meteorology get that. 
Simply screen shot the 5 day forecast and then check it a day or 2 later and it's completely different. 

I don't trust any weather more than 3 days out .

Yup driving 1-2 hrs to fish does suck and gets costly . This is where car pooling comes in handy. Split the gas cost or sit home complaining about the cost .

You either love ice fishing and are willing to travel or you don't. Maybe you don't want to drive 2hrs to drink all day on the ice.
It really doesn't matter what you prefer. All that matters is you don't complain all day online because you're not willing or have the desire to travel. 

Papa Sly (mike) is 100% accurate with his assessment of the ponds/lakes/reservoirs out west. Many of them had 7-8" on Wednesday this week.

Most understand that traveling 2hrs isn't easy but it's possible if you REALLY want to ice fish.
Stop worrying about getting skunked , it's not always about catching big fish all day.

I'm betting most of the people complaining about gas prices go to the bar and drop 50 bucks in 2 hrs .

It all boils down to how much you love ice fishing.  Die hards find a way.  The rest complain online with excuses.

I'm sure some will be offended by my opinion but I really don't care.

To old to coddle

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2023, 02:07 PM »
Eventually Mike, you will stop sharing like many have and then they will complain about that...

100% accurate
How's it going Jon?

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 20, 2023, 03:05 PM »

Jon, I found some old cheese for you in my bait fridge. Smells just like this thread, low tide at noon in August.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Jan 20, 2023, 04:13 PM »
100% accurate
How's it going Jon?

Going well Keith, how about you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.