Author Topic: Over the top hook set  (Read 1742 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Over the top hook set
« on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Board with nothing to do cant fish just yet. Came across this video.  I feel bad poking fun of them since they've had some gear stolen but around 3 minutes watch how the guy sets the hook on this Laker I can't help but laugh about it
It's like you hooked into Leviathan or something
"SEBAGO LAKE TOGUE FEST 2018 DERBY PREVIEW" on YouTube

Salmonemia

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: Over the top hook set
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2018, 11:29 AM »
That was priceless he must of been fishing in 250' fow it seemed like he was fighting that thing for a while was expecting to see a tuna come out of the whole ;D :clap:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Too funny! I know Brady, he used to work at Dag's bait and tackle. Great guy and i believe he caught the Sabego derby winner Touge a few years back. He texted me the picture which I'm trying to find, i think it was around 15lbs +

Great video guys!

Thanks for posting Salmonemia. Enjoyed watching it.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Nice vid, Wayne.
Those boys were fishing pretty deep and ya gotta drive it home after contact.
I'm impressed with the average Bago togues they were catching.
They've come quite a ways since I trolled it.
Must be those alewives!  ;)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I used to have to hook set like that, and I still missed some, before I bought a jig rod with more backbone.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Nice vid, Wayne.
Those boys were fishing pretty deep and ya gotta drive it home after contact.
I'm impressed with the average Bago togues they were catching.
They've come quite a ways since I trolled it.
Must be those alewives!  ;)
Yes i was impressed with the size too. Wish NH average lakers were like  that.
Most consider lakers trash food wise but they are Damn good smoked. If you know how to make a good brine.
Salmonemia

Offline Swimbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Putting on a clinic...

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I'm buying a nonresident Me. license to hit the northern lakes next summer,I'll have to hit Sebago for some winter fun. I believe you can keep all the lakers you want under 23 inches-baked, fried ,chowder and smoked !  :)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I'm buying a nonresident Me. license to hit the northern lakes next summer,I'll have to hit Sebago for some winter fun. I believe you can keep all the lakers you want under 23 inches-baked, fried ,chowder and smoked !  :)

I agree! We’ve found them to be as good as any fish out there. I found a great batter recipe (very simple) and I fry them in chunks. We love them as well as in a chowda!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:24 PM »
If one can make Blue Fish palatable, Laker is a short stretch to being delectable. A big one oven roasted whole, cavity stuffed full of fresh herbs, splashed generously with wine (even a light fruity red), tons of butter, atop a bed of finely cut mire poix vegetables and fresh quartered tomato’s of an excellent variety. with a side of saffron rice, and perhaps some saffron in the Main preparation as well - nothing to turn your nose up at. Stronger fish calls for bolder flavors. Still delicious.

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Brings back memories of my uncle.
He was 6'4" and he'd pull a tip up from the ice to over his head all in one go.
No checking the spool.  Just ran over and uprooted it like it was on fire.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:14 AM »
If one can make Blue Fish palatable, Laker is a short stretch to being delectable. A big one oven roasted whole, cavity stuffed full of fresh herbs, splashed generously with wine (even a light fruity red), tons of butter, atop a bed of finely cut mire poix vegetables and fresh quartered tomato’s of an excellent variety. with a side of saffron rice, and perhaps some saffron in the Main preparation as well - nothing to turn your nose up at. Stronger fish calls for bolder flavors. Still delicious.

i have 3 lakers i am smoking tonight after sitting in my brine for 5 days. as far as blue fish, you should try my smoked  blue fish shallot pate' or blue fish sage cutlets! whats the saying?..... one mans trash fish is another mans treasure.
Just add water.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:43 AM »
i have 3 lakers i am smoking tonight after sitting in my brine for 5 days. as far as blue fish, you should try my smoked  blue fish shallot pate' or blue fish sage cutlets! whats the saying?..... one mans trash fish is another mans treasure.
Ditto that. I make a mean smoked bluefish pate myself.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Too fancy dude. Fresh blues bled out after caught put on ice. Filet and grill olive oil salt and pepper. That's it. I enjoy smoked blues as well but hard to find locally and I dont smoke fish on my own. Enjoy your lakers sharps
Salmonemia

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Too fancy dude. Fresh blues bled out after caught put on ice. Filet and grill olive oil salt and pepper. That's it. I enjoy smoked blues as well but hard to find locally and I dont smoke fish on my own. Enjoy your lakers sharps

I grill them just like that as well. On top of bleeding them out, rip the gills out as well and it also helps. Another way to make bluefish (give it a try) fillet the blue fish and pat dry, place in aluminum tray with a little olive oil and cubed potatoes and chopped onions and peppers (larger pieces) then add 1 large (or more) jar of salsa of your choice and pour all over fish, potatoes, peppers and onions and grill until potatoes are tender.  ;) Striped bass is great like this as well. I can catch an unlimited supply of Blues in my area and most of the time by-catch when fluke or striped bass fishing. I also have 2 smokers - 1 that can make 300lbs of kielbasa in 1 shot and another just for fish so the flavors dont mix.

Just add water.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:56 AM »
I grill them just like that as well. On top of bleeding them out, rip the gills out as well and it also helps. Another way to make bluefish (give it a try) fillet the blue fish and pat dry, place in aluminum tray with a little olive oil and cubed potatoes and chopped onions and peppers (larger pieces) then add 1 large (or more) jar of salsa of your choice and pour all over fish, potatoes, peppers and onions and grill until potatoes are tender.  ;) Striped bass is great like this as well. I can catch an unlimited supply of Blues in my area and most of the time by-catch when fluke or striped bass fishing. I also have 2 smokers - 1 that can make 300lbs of kielbasa in 1 shot and another just for fish so the flavors dont mix.

I fish Narragansett bay once a year usually sept.  Love the seabass. Nice smoker set up
Salmonemia

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I think you mentioned that like 2 or 3 years ago on here and i told you to give me a heads up when you are planing on being in the area. I have no issue taking you out on the CC for a limit of seabass and fluke, just need a heads up. PM me if you wish..... even for good shoreline spots.
Just add water.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:16 AM »
I think you mentioned that like 2 or 3 years ago on here and i told you to give me a heads up when you are planing on being in the area. I have no issue taking you out on the CC for a limit of seabass and fluke, just need a heads up. PM me if you wish..... even for good shoreline spots.
Ok will do thanks
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.