New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: new ice suit  (Read 1726 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
new ice suit
« on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:50 AM »
thinking about getting a  new  ice fishing suit  not sure  what i  will get  ...it has to be  warm  floatant  and durable  what  do you  guys like and  more importantly  dislike

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: new ice suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:00 AM »
How bout the site sponsor…

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:03 AM »
I am with you Trapper  I have been looking but not pull the trigger on 1 yet…. I did look at the WindRider 1 our the sponsors. The reviews are good? I have a Striker Climate 2XL sit in closet I lost 50lbs I never use it.. I been using my old Frabill  last couple of years . 
images.jpeg

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:53 AM »

Also recommend 100g of insulation  from there you can go up/down on base layering to accommodate the weather condition.

Features to look for ...adjustable hem ...full zipper to hip.. expandable /elastic side panels. The brands to look at Striker ICE...Eskimo ...Clam ...Piscfun and Ice Runner ..Wind Rider

I have the Striker Ice predator ...good quality suit Note the Trekker bibs fit like cheap snow bibs ...no elastic in the side panel going up a size or two could be helpful ...I have these as well only 60g insulation good quality but a slim fit.

I also have the Eskimo scout pants ..seems good but have limited use part of last season ..60 or 80 g of insulation . I recently got a pair of Eskimo Keeper bibs ...80g insulation ...have yet to cut the tags off them yet .

Some fair pricing on the Ice Runner suit

https://icerunnerhouses.com/float-suits-clothing/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:04 AM »
 Many suits out there that are worth looking at I’m sure
 Well I have 2 striker suits , both warm
 And have had no problems ,have no desire to test the buoyancy , floatation was just a bonus ,
 Shop around ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:47 AM »
trouble  with windrider suits is  the  cost and they are  made in china

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:11 AM »
I have the Striker Predator suit, but it's a few years old now. It has been fantastic, but I know someone that got one last year and they have cheaper out a little. They no longer have the detachable towels that I have on mine. What a great feature. They also seem to be using slightly thinner material which will most likely affect durability. But, as someone else I think mentioned, they are the perfect thickness. DONT GET A SUIT THAT IS TOO WARM!  Get the lesser insulated suit and layer under as needed. Those super insulated arctic suits will leave you sweating.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:45 AM »
trouble  with windrider suits is  the  cost and they are  made in china

That's true, but to be fair, all the other suits are made in China as well

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:46 AM »
Just hit the local mission outlet got a new camo overall heavy insulation really warm for 15 bucks

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:19 AM »
what isn't made in China  :-\
retired let the fishing begin

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:21 AM »
Make sure whatever you get has good kneepads, a must on cold days when shards are freezing up around the hole.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:32 PM »
i disagree with one thing  ...i will never  buy  another  clam  they suck ..... so far the  striker  seems to  be  my answer  to warm and  happy  days on the  ice

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:38 PM »
I have the Striker Predator suit, but it's a few years old now. It has been fantastic, but I know someone that got one last year and they have cheaper out a little. They no longer have the detachable towels that I have on mine. What a great feature. They also seem to be using slightly thinner material which will most likely affect durability. But, as someone else I think mentioned, they are the perfect thickness. DONT GET A SUIT THAT IS TOO WARM!  Get the lesser insulated suit and layer under as needed. Those super insulated arctic suits will leave you sweating.

They pry got the predator lite suit
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:39 PM »
i disagree with one thing  ...i will never  buy  another  clam  they suck ..... so far the  striker  seems to  be  my answer  to warm and  happy  days on the  ice

I'm going to pull the trigger on Striker Hardwater bibs and jacket
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:41 PM »
Striker, USA!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:50 PM »

One of the best video out there ...it old but the info is still relevant ...I have the Predator ...works for my area... I originally bought the Climate (on a slamming deal) it was too hot ...and bulky some due to the bib liner . PM sent

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:19 PM »
I had the Hardwater suit and it was a great suit never got cold in it.  I sold it last year and bought a Climate just for the layering option. Didn’t really get a chance to use the climate suit much this past winter. The material on the Hardwater is more durable for sure. But you can’t go wrong with striker suit. I do like the magnetic storm flaps and wire in the hood so you can shape it on both styles.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:48 PM »
Striker had a killer deal on suits at Christmas time. 198.00 for jacket and bibs. I already had a striker suit… bought another for the future.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:01 PM »
Scroll through this thread back till Christmas ...some deals still available

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.11040

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:25 PM »
thanks  guys   you all have  benn helpful   i  just  bought the  striker  climate  i  wanted a  warm  suit  i got the   jacket  for  165   i  got  bibs  for  105  .....  i decided  on the striker   because  of people  reccomending it    their rep  and  i  called the  company  and talked to  custmer service and  was  very impressed  .........  i  went  with the  climate  because   i  wanted  the  extra  warmth if i  do a  night bite  i want to be warm..... i have  a  frambil  light jacket  for  warm  days  and thats usually in my  truck  all the  time  during winter .......thanks  again  everyone 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:37 AM »
 for all the  guys that  gave  me so much good advice  thank you   very much .......  i  called  striker   the  company  and  talked to them   which  was  very helpful ....as  i was  still looking  around   i  found a   company  up north sports  out of  mn ....these  people  had great prices and  really took time  with  me  even calling me  back with delivery  info  after i placed the order   the  young man  ...i say young because i'm a  old  fart   named  jake  was  most helpful and  if  he reads this  thanks  jake  from up north ....well  while i had the  debt card  out i  decided  to  take a  peak  at  fish usa   they had a  sale on hand augers and i been using my 5 inch  laser   for  i guess  30 years  probablly more theres  no paint left on it ...... anyways  kp  hooked  my ole a--  up  with a  good  drill  so i  got the  master ice auger conversion kit and a  new 6 inch laser........so  everyone that helped  me thank you  ps  i ended  up with a   striker  climate  jacket  and  a treker  jacket  as a spare and   treaker  bibs

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:05 AM »
 Good for you , being cold at this stage in our lives is totally unacceptable , my cost went up for refilling my FK 1#ers guess I can bite the nickel now $.75 😃

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:58 PM »
I’m surprised nobody mentioned Arctic Armor? Have they gone downhill last couple years?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2024, 04:45 AM »
I’m surprised nobody mentioned Arctic Armor? Have they gone downhill last couple years?

artic armor  sucks.....i bought  it and regreted it the first day i wore it

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:33 AM »
don't  you????

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:38 AM »

Wow trapp guess somebody went to bed a little late and up to early , maybe a cup of decaf might help 😃

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2024, 02:35 PM »
Bought a Striker Hardwater at the end of last year. Took it out Sunday in 15 degree weather with wind gusts to 30. Only had on a duofold thermal and wool shirt and was very comfortable

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:25 PM »
 my ice master auger drill  kit and new auger  are  going to be delivered tonight   ;D

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:41 PM »
Runnings has some good deals going on striker suits. Probably wont last long.. I got the strikemaster suit a couple seasons ago. very warm

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:58 PM »
Just got a Striker ICE Apex - it is GREAT! sizes run a little small, so don't be afraid of sizing up - bibs have adjustable in-seam - good idea - pricey, but worth it, especially if you a "sit-and-jig" like me - Fish USA has them on sale for $380 each bib/jacket

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.