Author Topic: Storing Auger... Looking for advice  (Read 5460 times)

Offline TrackerScout

• IceShanty Rookie
Storing Auger... Looking for advice
« on: Apr 11, 2021, 10:28 AM »
I am sure this has been addressed a million times, but do I store my Eskimo with fuel in tank or dry? I only use ethanol free. I ask because my manual says dry, but my tank grommet dried out last time I did that. Eskimo reps were awful to deal with and I ended up buying a grommet kit to fix it. After first summer the grommet shrank. I called Eskimo and was told it was my fault for storing it dry, even though the directions said that. I called a second time and pretended I left it full, was told it was my fault as gas deteriorated it. Called a third time and was told dry was the way to do it but would have to pay for parts as it was over 3 years old as the warranty starts from manufacture and not purchase from the store. Didn't know I was buying a new auger that was over 2 years old.

Which way should I store this thing? Telling me to buy an ion is advice for a future time.
Appreciate any input.

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Storing Auger... Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2021, 10:33 AM »
I stored mine dry haven’t had issue with grommet.
I do take gas cap off and just put aluminum foil over gas tank inlet.
Temp changes cracked 2 caps over the last few years

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2021, 10:36 AM »
I store mine full fuel and have never had a problem. I mix up a fresh tank of fuel with the eskimo oil and run it for a few minutes before putting it away.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Although I dont have the make/model that you have I would recommend storing it wet/full of full and up right as I stored my SM Mag 2000 "dry"(as recommended) and that was a bear to get running ...storing it wet was the way to go as was starting it frequently through the off season . So folks fog it and leave it till next season but I have never done that .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2021, 02:10 PM »

I have a 10 plus year SM lazer mag , I store it wet with a dose of sea foam , I forgot about it the last 2 seasons  shame on me , pulled it out 3 pulls running like a top ,
 Asked my bud King perch he also forgot about his SM power auger dosed with sea foam with the same results , started right up , 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2021, 02:39 PM »
I have a 10 plus year SM lazer mag , I store it wet with a dose of sea foam , I forgot about it the last 2 seasons  shame on me , pulled it out 3 pulls running like a top ,
 Asked my bud King perch he also forgot about his SM power auger dosed with sea foam with the same results , started right up ,

X2 or I guess X3 on the SeaFoam as well .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2021, 02:51 PM »
I agree with all the above, and the SeaFoam. I also recommend using TruFuel in lieu of  “pure” gas. It’s more expensive for sure, but since I’ve been using it, I’ve not had any problems with my 11 year old Strikemaster, even after being stored from one ice season to the next.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2021, 04:48 PM »
I bought my first ice auger in about 1980. I have owned four since then and have never stored one dry. Non-ethanol gas and Seafoam. When I started my auger this winter it took two short pulls.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2021, 05:28 PM »

Forgot to mention I use non ethanol 90 octane as soon it was available

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2021, 02:43 AM »
I have owned a jiffy (2) since 1990 and have always dumped the gas then ran em until they were out of gas..always worked for me..just my .02 , I will provide a report next winter as to how it started when fuel was added.. :tipup:

Offline TrackerScout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Thank you all for the input. I have decided on a course of action based on the suggestions. Appreciate all the help. Enjoy the open water everyone.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2021, 05:56 PM »
I don’t own a gas auger, but every small engine I store for prolonged periods of time are wet. Add some Stabile when I first use it for the season, everything fires at first asking

Snowblower
Lawn mower
Chain saw
Leaf blower
Power washer

And only use non-ethanol gas.

Probably irrelevant but thought I’d share

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2021, 10:24 AM »
I put stabil in my gas cans EVERY time I fill. I store all the equipment wet. I have a small chainsaw that only gets used once or twice every few years and starts each time I need it with old gas in it. And I am using cheap gas. My option is the stabil works wonders. Store wet with some brand fuel stabilizer and you will be fine. Just run for a few minutes to be sure the additive has mixed with all the fuel in the carb.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2021, 04:24 PM »
I have been using Trufuel on m Jiffy exclusively for years now.  I have stored it dry and it always starts right up.  HOWEVER it has been weeping fuel the last few years so looks like I need to get a gasket kit.  So, as much as it doesn't effect how it starts, storing it dry could have contributed to why it now leaks slightly.  After I replace the gasket I may re-consider how I store it.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2021, 01:32 PM »
DCon,
I ALWAYS store my Strikemaster wet, as per my small engine mechanic. I also had a grommet dry out before I started doing so. Since then...no more issues. Just hang/stand  your auger upright with enough fuel to keep the grommet moist.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Rec gas with proper oil mix and a splash of seafoam.start engine a few times of year.storing dry makes the fuel pump diaphragm dry out along with gas tank grommets.if being stored for numerous years i would drain the tank dry or you will be cleaning the carb and fuel pump due to stale gas.jmo

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2021, 05:04 PM »

2 years with sea foam non ethanol, 3 pulls ran perfect

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2021, 05:40 AM »
30+ years owning gas augers before going propane  and then electric. Leave the gas  tank full (reduces condensation) and add ethanol treatment fuel stabilizer. Run for 2-3 minutes and put it away, never had a problem with the next year's start up.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2021, 08:02 PM »
DCon,
I ALWAYS store my Strikemaster wet, as per my small engine mechanic. I also had a grommet dry out before I started doing so. Since then...no more issues. Just hang/stand  your auger upright with enough fuel to keep the grommet moist.

Sounds like my approach for the future... thanks

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 02:22 PM »
The reason you don't run small carbs dry is because the jets are so small, they varnish easily. Even when you run it dry there is residual gas in there that does not leave, but it dries out over time and what is left behind is a varnish-like material. I've had this happen with the little ones kitty kat snowmachines, which they will run around the house all day long until it's run completely dry of fuel, which varnishes the carb INSTANTLY, because the motor is hot. Then I have a little children screaming and crying until I overhaul the carb. I've got quite good at it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.