Author Topic: Tip-up Trout Strategies  (Read 992 times)

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-up Trout Strategies
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Heyooooo guys okay I asked this question before but I cannot find the thread or any messages at allllllll....
Tip-up Trout on eggs is my main focus but all interesting strategies appreciated.

Eggs right under hole? On bottom? 1 foot off(weed depending) ? Powerbait floats so does the weight get in the way since fishing vertical?   

Worlds of answers I know that... but I plan on targeting some trout using eggs and I'm going to use the majority favorite from here as my first attempted strategy... 🙌
Cheers

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-up Trout Strategies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:46 PM »
sandy bottom shallow is a good place to start, caught em in under 18" of water. I've caught bows right under the ice in 80 feet too tho. done better for browns closer to bottom in like 15-20
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I only run eggs in shallow along sandy or rocky bottoms along the shoreline. I place one eggs on a single gold egg hook right on the bottom and drop a few more in around it to try and make a pile. 4-6lb leader tops as it will be very visible in shallow. I have also caught them floating eggs but its not really a natural presentation, some people run them just below the ice. Before even setting a trap I drill at least a half dozen possible shallow egg holes with visible bottom and I pre-egg them with 3 eggs a piece. Mainly try to drill all my shallow holes at once and then be quite. You can then go around and check each hole and see if anyone has been stealing eggs. Even considering how finicky they are they will stick around and come back to those holes so if any are missing drop a trap. It is a good way to fish multiply holes covering different area with just one trap. Most of my luck with eggs has been in the early mornings however I have got them at all different times of day. I normally use the Red UV glow or the shrimp stink good. There are many different styles and tricks for trout so try a bunch and see what works. You will most likely loose more than you catch at first but thats part of learning. And if that spools moving when you get there set the hook bows always drop it on me once they feel anything.  :tipup:
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Wow Great tactics and Awesomeeeee tips 🙌

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Here you go pal

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Try worms, nightcrawlers or mealworms. They don't get robbed or spit as easy plus browns and brookies like em more than eggs.

Set in all the places others mentioned but always set a couple just under the ice especially over deeper water.

Make sure your tipups trigger easy and the spool spins smooth and easy, no rattles shakes or friction.
Make sure your tipups don't slide around and bump the spool against the ice when it's running.

Stealth on the ice. Be quiet.

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:49 PM »
AA u da Man huh👍👍...i really suck at computers 🤣 ... Ok great stuff ...I was going to plan on Targeting the edge of a  drop off a small flat with gradually descending Rocky Sandy mix and the farther out u go the bigger the boulders get until 8ish feet of water and 7ft boulders... Then drops down to 18-20.... From the edge of Boulder field to shore is about 80 yards with about the first 40 yards being a 2 -3ft deep flat...so 8 ft of water edge of a nice drop-off on one side and a boulder field type flat on the other... Yip that's my starting point... Where would y'all drop em at that spot???

ps ... AA how do I find my inbox😳? (while ur on 🔥)
🙌

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:55 AM »
We have most of our luck with Powerbait. Pinch a good size sinker to the shank of your hook. Take a gob of powerbait and squeeze it around the hook and sinker. We alternate tip ups with powerbait and night crawlers. Powerbait for one reason or another out performs the crawlers.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:41 AM »
AA u da Man huh👍👍...i really suck at computers 🤣 ... Ok great stuff ...I was going to plan on Targeting the edge of a  drop off a small flat with gradually descending Rocky Sandy mix and the farther out u go the bigger the boulders get until 8ish feet of water and 7ft boulders... Then drops down to 18-20.... From the edge of Boulder field to shore is about 80 yards with about the first 40 yards being a 2 -3ft deep flat...so 8 ft of water edge of a nice drop-off on one side and a boulder field type flat on the other... Yip that's my starting point... Where would y'all drop em at that spot???

ps ... AA how do I find my inbox😳? (while ur on 🔥)
🙌

Everyone’s phone or computer seem to show different these days. On my phone there is a icon at the top half of the page that looks like a piece of mail and you can click on it

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Where we use tip-ups for trout, it is primarily for Rainbows -- use a 3' fluorocarbon leader (4lb test) with a light #8 hook -- mostly use the Powerbait eggs so have to add a small split shot, as well, to keep them down -- fish just 2-3' under the ice -- setup parallel to shorelines or off weed beds -- generally have good luck even in the deeper water...!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:46 AM »
One thing to remember,  especially when you are pursuing trout that may have been stocked in the fall, they have been swimming in circles their entire life, they continue this habit for quote a wheeler after stocking, so fishing tight to edges and shorelines ate the ticket, once they have spent a summer in the new environment,  their habits change..

When using power bait I use salmon  eggs to sink the power bait, you only need a small amount anyway to release the scent, your not carp  fishing.
Also, a single rainbow will cover a considerable amount of shoreline. .

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:02 PM »
A simple test to determine if a pond or lake will be good for ice fishing for trout:
Visit the pond on warm days in late October or November, particularly at dawn or dusk with no wind.
A good trout pond will have trout rising to insects on warm days right up till first ice.
Some put n take ponds don't hold over well. Either the trout die of heat, get eaten by predators, caught by meat fishermen or all of the above. There won't be any rises in November in those ponds.
If you do see rises, they are most likely holdovers. In that case, forget any "stocked trout" tips you may have heard. They do not swim in circles, they are not hunting pellets and they are not easy to catch.
They are usually feeding on insects, copepods and plankton such as midges, daphnia or scuds. Small bait, light tackle, finesse presentation and stealth will give the best, most consistent results.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.