Author Topic: Marcum LX9 post 3.0 update  (Read 5115 times)

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum LX9 post 3.0 update
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:15 PM »
I have made posts about my LX9 having problems in deep water in the past but no one else seemed to have the same problem or has seen the problem themselves...

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with theirs after updating this season?

My previous problem was interference all over the dial in deep water (80+ feet). Now, after updating, I don't have the interference lines all over the dial, it just flat wont pick up my lure unless it is not moving.  I have messed with every setting possible to change on the thing and can't get it to work.  In fact, it seems to pick up lures in holes a couple feet away better than my own straight below it.  I'm using narrow beam and it still has ~11' of diameter in 90'.  It picks up fish no problem.

Anyone have any idea?

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum LX9 post 3.0 update
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I'm assuming you also toggled between gain 1 and gain 2 sonar curve choices ?

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Anyone have any idea?

Sounds like you're dealing with a bit of current.  Or, a bad transducer.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:47 PM »
i know you have to turn up the gain after updating it. guessing they altered the return gains a lot. i don't fish deep, but if i had to guess they have new modes and are different return gains than they once were being not as sensitive. like mode 1 and mode 2 is now mode 2 and mode 3 and mode 1 is now gone. i think it would be wise to add more modes and give us the old modes along with the new ones.

i am running mine with the gain much higher than it was with the old firmware and see no advantage of the new firmware so far.

you can always go back to the old firmware if you prefer it and i can email it to you. send a pm with your email if you want a copy. you'll have it so you can test it better for your needs.

would be nice to have several transducers to test settings and firmware.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I'm assuming you also toggled between gain 1 and gain 2 sonar curve choices ?
Yup. Like I said, I've screwed with everything possible to change on it

Sounds like you're dealing with a bit of current.  Or, a bad transducer.
Could be current I suppose. My line wasn't visually shooting off to the side or anything though so I didn't think it would be drifting out 11' to the side

i know you have to turn up the gain after updating it. guessing they altered the return gains a lot. i don't fish deep, but if i had to guess they have new modes and are different return gains than they once were being not as sensitive. like mode 1 and mode 2 is now mode 2 and mode 3 and mode 1 is now gone. i think it would be wise to add more modes and give us the old modes along with the new ones.

i am running mine with the gain much higher than it was with the old firmware and see no advantage of the new firmware so far.

you can always go back to the old firmware if you prefer it and i can email it to you. send a pm with your email if you want a copy. you'll have it so you can test it better for your needs.

would be nice to have several transducers to test settings and firmware.
Sent you a PM. I'll test out the old version this weekend if possible

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:11 AM »
sent the email. the file is 20mb so it takes a little time. i can zip it up if you wanted or better yet i can rar it with a 10% repair algorithm embedded so it can repair corrupted file. let me know if you want to get it in one of these ways too.

the update does seem to make the transducer 50% weaker. as i said you have to turn the gain way up from what it used to be. marcum says you have to also. this means we are losing gain now. so say i use to fish it from 1 to 25 is the range it has and used it on gain of 8, but now i have to have to use gain of 16 i have now lost half the gain it used to offer to do the same thing.

i will probably go back. the only thing i see changed is this and that's not an improvement. the missing the 2 feet under the transducer is as it always has been and that's a good thing because i would rather have it not showing anything vs showing a bunch of clutter like my bird does. maybe deep water it's good for.
the shape and size of the jig i use maybe messing with it, but it's the same jigs i like to use so it shouldn't be and i am fishing the same waters i always fished. going back to the old firmware and fishing the same exact place and jig will let me know more for sure, but for now, this has been my experience with the new firmware.

the best remedy i see i use both firmware or make it so it has more modes. so we have all four modes or even more modes for different environments  and that is why they have them in the first place. so adding more should be doable as the control will allow for it.

you can go back and forth with the firmware, but their firmware coding is poorly written by not offering crc and not offering bit by bit read/writes to the eprom so the flashing may or may not have been completed or it can be a partial write to the eprom and this has happened in the past with others i have helped in this way.
you won't know if it went 100% unless you see it has issues it didn't in the past, so maybe reflash yours to see if it helps before going back to the old firmware. i wish they would make the changes to their firmware so it is done better other than going black and no progress bar and no crc checking and no bit by bit read/writes with progress bar.

Offline Gazoo124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Can I get the old firmware prior to the 3.0 update?  I’m having the same problem , can’t mark lure in deep if it’s moving.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2018, 10:51 PM »
emailed the v2.31 firmware.
welcome and thanks for joining us!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Just came across this post and it worries me since I just updated my LX9 yesterday. I’m not sure when I can try it out either since we don’t have ice here. Is there anyway I can get the old firmware from you ? Just in case I don’t like this new one. Thanks Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 12:04 PM »
no problem, just shoot me your email for me to be able to give the old firmware. it's rather large for the lx9.

Offline Moemoney3oh3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Hello 3300

Can you please email me the LX9 2.31 firmware? 

Thanks in advance

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:24 AM »
all set.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Dang that is some ice shanty member help right there! Nice job 3300

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:58 PM »
thanks Agronomist_at_IA

Offline yoosh4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2020, 01:47 PM »
hello 3300 I was hoping u could email me the previous version firmware lx9   thanks    wont allow me to PM

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2020, 04:31 PM »
pm sent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.