Author Topic: Trouble with Cold Snap cover on Nils  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Trouble with Cold Snap cover on Nils
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:16 PM »
I just got this Cold Snap cover in the mail today.  Went to pop it on and it is resisting snapping on. It looked pretty straight forward to me in the video on their website. 

If pushed hard it will kinda lodge on but the "break" in the cover does not seal back up. The edges of the blade are not fitting snugly under the ledges of the cover that hold the blade down.  Also, the tips of the blades dig into the side of the cover, and it's really hard to get off.  It's strange to say this, but it looks to me like the cover is manufactured backwards... like the tips of the blades should be facing in the other direction. 

Am I an idiot?  This thing sure seemed idiot proof...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trouble with Cold Snap cover on Nils
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Maybe got the wrong one? Mine snaps on great....

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Mine snaps dead nuts on, best invention ever...

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:44 PM »
It looks like the Nils one is the only one manufactured in yellow and it is only available in 8", which is what I have.

Just curious, do your blade tips face in the same direction in the cover as mine do in the photos?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Bottom pic turn the cover clockwise once, My Nils cover is Blue  :P

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Blue, eh?  When did you get it?

On the website it looks like Jiffy is orange, Strikemaster is red, and Nils is yellow.  They don't show a blue...

If the cover is spun 180 degrees, if that's what you mean, if still does not snap on.  It would appear as though I have a faulty cover  :-\

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Might have been a limited run when they released them got mine early this fall from Cold Snap....

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Could be a bad production run. New guy put the wrong color plastic in the wrong mold.

Offline Shidso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:35 PM »
I would send them an email.  It seems like they have a pretty good product here that people are really liking especially for the Nils.  I just purchased a Nils this fall and bought a cold snap before it even arrived and mine snaps in perfect every time.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Blue, eh?  When did you get it?

On the website it looks like Jiffy is orange, Strikemaster is red, and Nils is yellow.  They don't show a blue...

If the cover is spun 180 degrees, if that's what you mean, if still does not snap on.  It would appear as though I have a faulty cover  :-\

(Image removed from quote.)

Nils yellow, eskimo yellow, strikemaster red, jiffy orange, clam blue.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:38 AM »
Keeps us posted Tangler.  I'll be upset if I receive one that doesn't "snap" on/off nicely.  I just ordered one. 

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Keeps us posted Tangler.  I'll be upset if I receive one that doesn't "snap" on/off nicely.  I just ordered one.

X2- My new Nils Power auger is on backorder, but i just ordered a cold snap cover for it based on everyones advice here. Neither has arrived yet so I hope it fits. Keep us in the loop as you sort this out.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:46 PM »
By any chance do you have an 8" Nils and a 6" Nils cover?

MD

Offline Workemup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:28 PM »
I also ordered one recently and hope it works when it gets here.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Mine snaps on great...buts it's red not yellow. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I just used mine for the first time today. It was a Christmas gift. Mine works perfectly, and is yellow.

Offline Workemup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Got my yellow one today. I was having the same problem as the OP at first. You just have to not be afraid to pop it in there. Dont set the auger head on the plastic and then push. Just pop it in there with a fluent motion. One thing i saw that was kind of weird, was that where the blades sit, the angle of the plastic is opposite the angle of my blades. If that makes sense.. Still works tho.

Offline Mini Me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:00 PM »

Nils yellow, eskimo yellow, strikemaster red, jiffy orange, clam blue.

Per my reply: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=267555.0

The Strikemaster and Nils is exact same!

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Got my yellow one today. I was having the same problem as the OP at first. You just have to not be afraid to pop it in there. Dont set the auger head on the plastic and then push. Just pop it in there with a fluent motion. One thing i saw that was kind of weird, was that where the blades sit, the angle of the plastic is opposite the angle of my blades. If that makes sense.. Still works tho.

Yes, the angle thing you are talking about had me confused when looking at it at first.  Visually, it looks backwards. However, it is clearly designed like that on purpose.

I spoke with the owner today.  He shipped me out a new one to try right away.  Real nice guy and seems committed to figuring out if the problem is the cover.  I believe that this one I have really is a defective cover from our conversation.  It measures smaller than it should. I plan to update this thread once it's all figured out.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Hope you get it squared away.  Mine arrived today and it pops right on.  You do need to be a bit "persuasive" when setting/pushing the auger into the holder.
Good luck.

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:20 AM »
So, I got the second cover and it did not fit either.  My auger head is too big or abnormally shaped in some way.  I am returning both Cold Snap covers.  Cold Snap customer service was excellent in this process, nothing but good things to say about them.

Nils, on the other hand, has been pain and suffereing.  I would not recommend this product to others.

Offline GoodOldGus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Have you had other problems with your Nils other than not getting the Cold Snap cover to fit?  I'd be curious what other issues you've had since I have a 6" convertible auger getting delivered today.

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:33 AM »
I had to have it sent in for sharpening after one season of use.  I also cut my hand on it trying to put the useless stock cover on it in cold weather.

Offline Bluegillin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I have had no problems with my Nils power auger and cold snap since I got them in the fall.  When putting the cover on, you need to angle the auger a few degrees off center, get it started in the cover and while you bring it back to center push down on the auger and it will snap in.  I have found that I cannot put the cover on by hand while the auger is laying on the ground.

"I have this theory that the truth is never told during the nine to five hours" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Not try to be a fool because I do not own one of these covers.  But.....   With all this pushing and popping and snapping prying on a Nils cutting head Don't any you guys worry about knocking the cutting head off alignment?  These Nils are not made to even put down pressure on them when drilling a hole let alone what it seem to be put through trying to get this cover to snap on.

Now I know the original like cover that comes with a Nils is nothing to wright home about and for sure a accident waiting to happen but I would think something could be done with that to make it a little safer for hands and that cutting edges.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:56 PM »
I put my cold snap on my hand so no issues, 6th season with mine and no complaints...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I watched the video online, I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding messing up your cutting head. It looked like it took just a quick little "pop" of downward pressure to lock the blade on.

I'm hoping to get one for my eskimo, but their website says it will take an extra week to ship because they have to modify a jiffy one to fit eskimo.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:35 PM »
So, I got the second cover and it did not fit either.  My auger head is too big or abnormally shaped in some way.  I am returning both Cold Snap covers.  Cold Snap customer service was excellent in this process, nothing but good things to say about them.

Nils, on the other hand, has been pain and suffereing.  I would not recommend this product to others.

Did you purchase it new or used?
Have you seen the pics I posted? 
Could you post pics of your auger head please?

Sorry to hear things have not gone well for you.

MD

Offline Tangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Did you purchase it new or used?
Have you seen the pics I posted? 
Could you post pics of your auger head please?

Sorry to hear things have not gone well for you.

MD

I just checked out your photos.  I am envious to say the least.  There are photos of mine in the first post of this thread.  That is as deep as the blade will go into the cover.  You can see how the tips of the blades on both ends dig into the plastic of the coldsnap.  If pushed harder the tips just bury deeper into the plastic and it's that much harder to pry off. It just doesn't fit.  If I damaged the blade fooling with that cover I'm throwing the Nils off of a bridge. :clap:   

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:23 AM »
By any chance do you have an 8" Nils and a 6" Nils cover?

MD
cold snap does not make cover's for 6" augers, all are eight inches and above. I spoke with a rep and they've had a lot of interest in fellow ice fisherman look for a 6" cover, but no plans yet to make them.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.