Author Topic: Fort peck or devils lake?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fort peck or devils lake?
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:27 PM »
I'm planning a ice fishin trip with a few buddy's for the end of January ad beginning of February well be fishing for 3 or 4 days and can't decide wether to go west to fort peck or east to devils lake. We're after perch ad walleye mostly. What do you think?

Thanks, tom

Offline brknwndnMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fort peck or devils lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:18 PM »
i live in bozeman  mt and got to fort peck every year for an ice fishing trip. We always catch a ton of pike, walleye, ling, catfish, and of course perch! The perch aren't that big but there is a crapon of them! You have to watch the weather closely the roads in to the lake are long and can be treacherous depending on snow and clay mud!! I've never been to devils lake, but i am planning a trip there in late Feb(after fort peck) for jumbos

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Went to D.L. 6 years ago. No walleyes, few perch and lots of pike. I think we went too early. Couldn't get to the main lake 6-8 in of ice. Check out all the video on Youtube about D.L.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Yeah I've done quite a bit of research about devils lake and they have a ton of jumbos and good walleye. I just haven't heard a lot about hell creek on fort peck

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Perch can be tough on Ft Peck(decent ones), if that's the main purpose you'd be much better off at Devils Lake.   You'll get better fish.  As for walleyes, you'll catch bigger ones at Peck, much bigger, but the numbers will be lower.  I've always found it to be much easier to jig up walleyes at DL too, I do much better on tip ups at Peck, but I haven't had a lot of luck the few times I've been on walleyes there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.