Author Topic: My Garbage Man is Lucky.  (Read 3479 times)

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Garbage Man is Lucky.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:09 AM »
I was walking though Walmart a few thanksgivings ago, happened to stroll though the fishing area and was looking at the augers.  Brand new 10 inch strike masters, all for $315.  The last one on the end had a big red Clearance sticker on it, $59.  I pull that thing down and dragged it to the counter so fast...  No questions asked at the counter.  I wonder if an employee hoped to have a buddy pick it up or something...or maybe it was just a mistake....Lucky me

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:30 AM »
A few years back I was helping a guy clean his attic and basement in preparation of his upcoming move. He was hauling stuff left and right, and I was able to grab a few things off the dump pile. I ended up with two chainsaws, a small portable tablesaw and a hitch mounted bikerack that I converted into a T-bar to carry lumber in the bed of my truck. With a little cleaning and a new chain, both chainsaws ran great. I keep one in the back of my pickup and gave one to my buddy.

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:09 AM »
My dad and brother work for a moving company so they get freebies all the time.  People just don't want to take some stuff with them when they move, and if they haven't sold it by the time the truck shows up, my dad or brother usually get it.

The best thing my brother ever got was a Frabil Ranger XL Twin portable.  He gave it to me because he doesn't have any way to haul it around. 
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I remember when I was a kid I found a whole box of Playboy magazines someone was throwin' out. With the Vargas Girls intact! If I only knew then what I know now.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Last year I left one of my rods on the ice after packing everything else up and didnt realize it! It was one of my favorite ultra lights with a brand new reel on it! Went back to the same lake the next day and went to pull the rod out of my rod bag and it wasnt there.  :-\ Oh well I hope whoever picked it up enjoys it!  ;D

Ive found a couple different rods and reels and last year I was at our place on the Muskegon River and I scooped up an orvis fly box loaded with flys that was floating down the river!  :o ;D

Found a tip up one morning last year that was frozen in the ice I tried to kick it loose and ended breaking it!  ;D :o
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 AM »
ive been a scrap man for awhile and i get into dumpsters around here an cant believe what i find.anything from a snomobile lawnmowers are common and all the copper wire.copper is 2.10 a pound and people throw it out.fishin poles,campin stoves coleman lantern the list goes on and on.im a tru dumpster diver/recycler.lol

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:28 AM »
In the summer I snorkle below a cruel set of rapids on the upper Delaware river and have found a few full tackle boxes, fishing rods, oakly sunglasses, pocket knives and even found a fifty dollar bill wedged between two rocks once.
👮👮👮

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:58 AM »
i was pulling bottom bouncers on a small lake a couple years back and snagged a lawn chair, thought it was Moby for a minute :unsure:. Best thing i think i have found.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #38 on: Nov 12, 2009, 12:36 PM »
I have two friends that drive garbage trucks. You would not believe the things they bring home. I would however, recommend, that anyone reading this, go and make friends with as many of those garbage truck drivers that you can.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 12, 2009, 12:42 PM »
there's just something about sorting through dirty diapers, happy socks, and rotten food in search of a rod that just needs a new tip put on it that loses it appeal to me.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:09 PM »
You must not have kids!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:12 PM »
other peoples dirty diapers...adults included :sick:

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:30 PM »
well it wasn't in the trash and it's not a fishing tool but I found a Les Kuba painting at a garage sale that would normally sell for at least $400 and it had a $20 price tag on it. I've never paid for anything so fast in my life! The thing is totally mint too!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #43 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:38 PM »
there's just something about sorting through dirty diapers, happy socks, and rotten food in search of a rod that just needs a new tip put on it that loses it appeal to me.

I'm with you on this one... but as George Costanza said... it was right on top!!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Natty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Only fish on days that end in y
« Reply #44 on: Nov 12, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Stoped at a yard sale a few years back and saw a plano 777 tackle for $50.....I thought abit pricy so i opened the
box and opened a drawer and my jaw hit the ground...........Close d the box and gave the lady the fifty bucks. When i
got home i checked it out and it was chuck full of flie's and streamers............E ven at a buck a piece there's at
least a thousand flie's and streamers in it. :o
I've done so much with so little for so long i can now do the impossible with nothing.

Offline old geezer from here

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2009, 05:31 PM »
 :thumbsup: significant things i found over the past---tip :tipup:up.........crafts man tool box with a bunch of tools , found owner and returned ;D----an eagle claw rod with 300 mitch. and a tackle box :thumbsup:-----------money clip on i-87 with  *28 dollars---------------2yrs ago , walked out of the woods with my springer and found a ithica  model 37 , 12 gage leaning against my truck--- never found owner ,lots of smaller stuff ,i,ve been lucky-- :clap:
Dang-it....missed another

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 12, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Sure you didn't find your own money?

Yeah im sure. As i dont bring any money when hunting.

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #47 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I have found lots of good stuff over the years as I always have worked outdoors. Tools, old silver coins, rods and reels, my wife, a jewelry box with gold and diamond rings, etc. . I have also lost my share of belongings. I believe its just a way of things being redistributed. If I was refuse collector I would have to have a warehouse to keep everything I would probably keep.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I totally forgot! I did find a st. croix rod and reel combo a few years ago. It was up against a tree at a private farm pond. NOBODY had permission to fish this pond except the farmer and I. I showed him the rod and he said nobody has been fishing and it wasn't his. Tough price to pay for trespassing.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.