Author Topic: LBDN???  (Read 8494 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LBDN???
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Heading down from houghton county on Friday (3rd of January) thru the 5th. Any good reports? I know things can change a lot in a week. How much snow on the ice is my only real concern right now. Will be using wheelers. Thanks guys

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:15 AM »
Few inches of snow. No problem getting around on a wheeler of any kind.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Few inches of snow. No problem getting around on a wheeler of any kind.

Trucks on?

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Pretty much everywhere. All over north of Gladstone and as far south as half way to the terrace.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Any good word today?????? Awful quiet here.....either the fishing is awful good, or awful bad!!! Lol

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Today was not a day to be out there, howling wind. Fished yesterday one walleye.

Offline Mtuyooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I can second that. I sat until 11am, one 10" perch. Didn't mark much either.

Offline CrankYanker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Wanted to share a few pics from this past week. Some real nice perch. Slowed later this week as the pick up trucks started roaming.... Time to start searching again. 2" shinners were the ticket for the big perch. Walleyes were all caught on raps.

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Nice catch, I need to try some different areas but its been so dang cold and my 4 wheeler is down :(

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Headed out this afternoon, will fish till about 6, going to be off the Days, maybe the new moon will have em biting eh :)

Offline ajhallfr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the great info posted here. I'm looking at taking a trip over to LBDN in the next 2-3 weeks, but I've never fished it before. Most of my time has been spent in Chippewa/Mackinaw counties and Houghton/Baraga. I'm curious if anyone would be interested in sending me a pm about places to start on LBDN and possible lures to use. I'm familiar with where Kipling and the Terrace are, but no where else. I'm restricted to walking, or driving my truck out (so I like a minimum of 15" of ice).

Thanks to anyone that can help

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Pick a map up at the bait shop, 1st reef, 2nd reef and center reef would be a good start also off the Gladstone harbor as for driving your truck everyone is running all over the bay, just becareful around river mouths, butler island and saunders point stick to where others have gone. As cold as it is we should have 15" by tommow lol

Offline ajhallfr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I hear you guys have been pretty cold up that way! I did see trucks around Kipling when I drove through on the 21st and couldn't believe it. What's a decent bait shop in the area? I've always just driven through, I've never stopped anywhere.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Bay View Bait and Tackle. Chris will point ya in the right direction

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline ajhallfr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Heading up the week of the 12th. Hopefully the ice and fish cooperate

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:13 PM »
No issues with the ice. Bitter cold early next week may slow the bite a little.

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:51 PM »
I need to pass along a big THANKS to Chris from Bay View Bait and Tackle who provided some help to my buddy and me with some walleye ice fishing tips on Dec 31 last week, the day before New Years Eve.  I caught this nice 21" walleye and marked another 4 fish that evening.

Thank you much Chris (aka; The Bait Shop Guy)!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Has anyone noticed and trucks south of Gladstone?

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:18 PM »
You could drive clear past the terrace to the mouth of the esky river no problem. I had 20"+ of ice off the mouth yesterday. Wouldn't venture much further than that though because the ore docks in Escanaba have been kept open to allow ore ships in and out.

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #49 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:11 AM »
been fishing for whitefish and have been very frustrated the last few days with water clarity, cant see in 40 fow with camera. anyone else have this problem on the bay, south of the terrace?
eat, sleep, fish

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:20 PM »
been fishing for whitefish and have been very frustrated the last few days with water clarity, cant see in 40 fow with camera. anyone else have this problem on the bay, south of the terrace?

The Esky River flows south out of the bay right past the point. You'll catch more whities without a camera in LBDN anyways, its one of the only places ive noticed whitefish care about my camera.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Been trying some new spots in the bay. This time of year the bite gets pretty tough. Sunday was slow with one nice eye on a tip up.

This evening was crazy. Set up in 12 fow. Didn't mark a fish till 5:45 then it was on for the next 45 mins. Ended up with 4. A 20", 21", 22", and a 25". Lost 2 at the hole and missed about a half dozen bites. Should've had a limit. Maybe next time.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Those nights are always fun, great fish
Catching Any?

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Awesome, Kidder. I am heading up there this weekend from downstate. If you feel like sharing info, I will not complain.

Offline referee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Put in 5 hours of fishing today off the second yellow gate (Masonville) ...14 FOW. Marked a lot of perch...caught maybe 12 dinks, 4 dink walleye. Beautiful sunrise though. Where the heck are the bigger ones? Second trip there this winter, just tiny fish.

Offline stampman60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:05 PM »
if you are looking for the keeper walleye, check the gill nets. thats why i quit going to little bay. those nets have ruin the fishing there. talk to the locals and they say the same thing.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:00 PM »
if you are looking for the keeper walleye, check the gill nets. thats why i quit going to little bay. those nets have ruin the fishing there. talk to the locals and they say the same thing.

Really???  So how are guys limiting out on nice fish then?

I'm not a fan of nets or subsistence fishing either, but there's still good fishing.

Referee, go south my friend.  I don't fish LBDN but a few times a winter.  When I do though, I rarely fish north of Gladstone.  It's not bad fishing up there, but there's better.  This has been a really bad and cold winter.  Instead of fishing 14 feet in February, think 35-50 FOW.  Wait until a good warm spell and runoff before fishing shallow.

Offline referee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:06 AM »
I was looking for perch...got a report of two good days of fishing in that area earlier that week. A lot of small fish, but sorting thru them for some nice keepers. Just not my day.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Got out again this evening and did well. Didn't mark until 6:10. Then a solid 40 minutes of action. Landed these 4 nice eyes. Two at 21", a 22" and a 24". Also caught a fifth that probably went around 26"-28". That one went back to be caught another day.

BTW stampman. The fish are out there and there's a lot of em... You just need to know where to look.

Offline referee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Nice catch Kidder. I'm sure T.N. and P.O. will enjoy some fillets! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.