Author Topic: K-Bay  (Read 16522 times)

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K-Bay
« Reply #120 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:03 AM »
22" with 6" being white where I was at yesterday.  yes, it looks like you're going to need to wait a bit longer given the forecasts.  I'm hoping the ice will hold up on the big lake until at least May 1st just to say that I did it.   ;-)

Fished out in the middle yesterday just south of Pequaming (220 fow). Ice thickness varied considerably where I was fishing, from 20-35+". Still thick, but starting to get soft. I probably won't trust walking out to the middle for much longer.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #121 on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I'm done out there.  Caught a few out from the Little Carp in 220' but the big East wind today and more snow are a bad sign; especially for the West side of the bay.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:58 PM »
My wife and I were out from Whir-I-Gig Wednesday. We caught 3 in 3 hours. The ice is still at least as good as it was in mid February and probably stronger. There was no indication that the clear ice has weakened at all. All this being said, it won't take too long for it to get bad when/if the snow stops. Once the sun is on the ice from the higher angle in spring it can deteriorate quickly. I think we will be OK at least until this latest snow melts but I don't know how much longer we can trust it.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #123 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:59 AM »
My wife and I were out from Whir-I-Gig Wednesday. We caught 3 in 3 hours. The ice is still at least as good as it was in mid February and probably stronger. There was no indication that the clear ice has weakened at all. All this being said, it won't take too long for it to get bad when/if the snow stops. Once the sun is on the ice from the higher angle in spring it can deteriorate quickly. I think we will be OK at least until this latest snow melts but I don't know how much longer we can trust it.

Agreed...don't think this wind is going to help either though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Apr 16, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Anybody been out? How is the ice holding up?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Anybody been out? How is the ice holding up?

Off of marina this morning. Top layer is wet but fine. Shore ice is looking all broken up to the north. Not being held in by much. Otherwise it's still thick and wheeler travel is good

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:45 PM »
there was a guy on another site asking if there was any open water in the bay :icefish: :roflmao:

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Apr 21, 2013, 11:06 AM »
What effect did the big winds with this last storm have on the ice?

Looks like this weather pattern is going to break Thursday/Friday of this coming week and we should be in the 50's and 60's for a while.  Looks like the bay will make it for ice until May 1st if those big winds didn't break it all up.

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Apr 21, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I'm going to give fishing a shot this evening in the bay, but I think I'm done trying for lake trout for this year. Planning to stay shallow from now on.

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Apr 29, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Was looking at the MODIS imagery today and was wondering if the ice is just that dark at the head of the bay or if it went out today?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Apr 30, 2013, 09:39 PM »
All float ice. No good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.