Author Topic: LBDN thread  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
LBDN thread
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I figured I would start a LBDN thread since there have been reports of a few people fishing it. I am hoping to make it over that way in 2 weeks.

How is the ice as of now? Any reports of any walleye being taken yet? Had a buddy down there yesterday and only caught a few decent perch and a couple sub-legal Northerns.

Good luck to everyone planning on heading down, and everybody stay safe!

Brandon

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
Re: LBDN thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:17 PM »
According to Rick Larson, ice is about 5" out of the yellow gate in Kipling, but cracking and scary, check out his thread and watch his report on you tube.  I'm gonna wait another week after watching it, thats for sure.
Frozen Snot....It's a fashion statement!

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:55 AM »
Talked with a CO who was out there two days ago and he said he can't believe how many people are going out there already and that he wouldn't be out there for a couple weeks yet. He said there are still open water spots in there.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:06 AM »
I live 2 miles from LBDN. I watch it everyday and was out Sat and today. Sat I was fishing 25ft from the crack when it opened up, just north west of butlers. It was pretty loud but it wasn't an uncommon crack for this time of the year. It opened up and re closed within about an hour. Today it's all healed up. Fishing Sat was slow, especially when it gets noisy and there's no snow to quiet things down. Fish are pretty spooked right now. Did end up with 6 pretty decent perch and about a dozen throw backs with wigglers in 14ft of water. this morning I fished 37ft and marked about 6 eyes, only had two takers, a 13" and a 22". Same as Saturday, once it gets noisy out there everything shuts down. Until we get snow cover you need to stay away from others to catch much. Ice is about 5 1/2" everywhere I checked. I'm guessing Saunders point and mouth of the days river is still pretty iffy.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:09 AM »
We are heading to Curtis to fish the three lakes in a couple weeks. We will make a day of LB and BB, if the weather keeps up I dont see why the ice wouldnt be healthy enough for us. Good luck guys and be careful!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Rick Larson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hoping for a walleye
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I fished Saunders Point last Friday night and it had "about" 4 inches. This was the first part of my report. Unlike last year at this time, the ice was smooth shore to shore.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Fished off hunters point yesterday morning, solid 5 inches of black ice. Fishing was slow though. action seemed slow all over yesterday fished of the yacht club in the afternoon better results there. Lots of portables at both spots.  :tipup:

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I am heading up to LBDN 4th-8th!!!!...CANT WAIT!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Any reports as of late? I'm heading there from the 11-13th. Heavy south winds coming on Monday. Any one that knows the noc real well, how do you think the wind will affect the ice?

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Any reports as of late? I'm heading there from the 11-13th. Heavy south winds coming on Monday. Any one that knows the noc real well, how do you think the wind will affect the ice?

X'2.  Will be up the same days as well, hoping for good news.

Offline CrankYanker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Will not be an issue. Good to go if your north of gladstone.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I am loading the truck right now!...7 hour drive and i will be on LBDN!...hope to see fellow members out there!!!...

Offline Gadget Geek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:43 PM »
I'm heading up with my crew on the 8th,we're are leaving at 11:00pm which should put us on the ice by 07:00 on the 9th; we will fish 'till we drop all the way to the 13th. My guess is that the ice will be about 10" thick by then, enough to run a sled on anyway. With the warmer weather which is forecast for next week we just might have some dream fishing on our hands.

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Heading out on the 16th, be walkin out from the Kipling Boat launch..Hope to see some of you out there!

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Any updates on the ice thickness north of gladstone? Hoping to take my rhino out from Kipling or yellow gate Monday afternoon and would like at least 7".

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Shouldnt be a problem....there was 5-6" of solid clear ice when i was there a few days ago.  Was a nasty pressure crack...watch out for that

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Center reef had almost 9" (Sat) yesterday. South gate crack opened up while I was out there. When I came in at 6:20 pm some considerate person had marked the passage with a yellow light and supplied a bridge to cross the crack. But be carefull the bridge slides. One 16 incher, 5 smalleyes, and one sucker to show for 7hrs fishing. I fished 24' to 30' all the fish came from deeper water.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Hoping to run into a few keepers later this week....

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Think I would have any issues crossing with a side by side?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:50 AM »
If u find the right spot it shouldnt be a problem...bring a couple 2"x8"s with you just in case

Offline lasalleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Anybody having good luck as of late? Hope to head down there in the next couple days as long as the weather cooperates.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Its been very slow for me and everyone i talked to. I mainly fish for walleye and marked three monday night with no takers. Tuesday night I marked one in the shack that didnt hit but caught 1 20incher on a tip up about 30 yards away.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Its been very slow for me and everyone i talked to. I mainly fish for walleye and marked three monday night with no takers. Tuesday night I marked one in the shack that didnt hit but caught 1 20incher on a tip up about 30 yards away.

I'm hoping it starts to pick up here sometime soon...

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2013, 01:13 PM »
First the MAIN reason of this post is a warning. The ice on the bay is doing some crazy crap. Where folks were fishing the north side of sounders point 2 days ago is now ALL open water. The south gate crack opens and closes almost daily. Last nite the north gate was still pretty good. Kipling launch has some water on the ice this morning. Please use caution out there, especially around points and river mouths. Now the report, fishing the bay for me walleye has been slow at best. My perch fishing has been a little better if I target smaller fish in 10 to 15 ft of water.
  Keep your minnows alive and your feet dry.

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:18 AM »
I will stick to the inland lakes up here in Gwinn for a while.  I love ice fishing, but cannot enjoy it if I've got the pucker factor going on and unsure of
the ice under my feet.  Especially with the next 3 days close to 40 degrees during the day.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:37 AM »
Love the warmups on lbdn... when water gets on top of that ice and the wind blows it looks like open water your on!  LoL

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:55 PM »
You guys are nuts!  ;D

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Any news?

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Been runnin tipups since Wednesday night. No flags on them. But got 5 keepers and jumbo perch on poles "lots of short eyes"catching eyes on glow red tiger. Ice is crazy with this water on top. What are you runnin on the tip ups?

Offline lasalleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Where is the most reliable action this time of year? And where would be the best access?

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.