Author Topic: jig with rapala  (Read 4571 times)

fishtale51

jig with rapala
« on: Jan 25, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Do you jig with a rapala?  What is an effective technique?

Appreciate all the responses to date and all future responses on this topic.  Was successful using tactics and techniques mentioned below.  Thanks again to all.

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
Re: jig with rapala
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 04:17 PM »
your talking jigging rapala right?  that is what I use mostly  #2 or #3  I put a fathead
on jig a little let it sit.. I really believe you get bigger fish  also a chance to get a walleye or pike. perch scale is my favorite  good luck Rick

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Try putting mousies on the bottom treble hook or spikes even one spike on the nose hook, drop to the bottom then pick it up a few inches hold for a few seconds
then pick it up a couple feet fast and drop it down to a couple inches off the bottom hold for several seconds then repete, try changing your times on the holding till you find what works for you[where your at ]...
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline beaglehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:45 PM »
What is the preferred color for those big perch?  I haven't had much luck with the chartruse, but occasionally catch a few on the brown and white.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2005, 02:29 PM »
I have a perch colored jigging rapala that works great for perch and crappie.  I use a blue/silver colored rapala that hammers the smelt.  Tight Lines!!!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

kim63ny

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Are you referring to the vertical jigging rapala? The solid metal ones that are painted like fish?? If so-perch color seems is a popluar color for us. Bait them up with lively 3-4 spikes and work your line so they 'twitch' every so often while being suspended. Have also used peices of nightcrawlers with success too.  Kinda-make them 'dance' underwater-don't let them just sit still. That has seemed to work good for us in the Indian River District. I like the hook system on them-seems to catch the fish differently in the mouth. Kim

Do you jig with a rapala?  What is an effective technique?

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:48 PM »
What is the preferred color for those big perch? I haven't had much luck with the chartruse, but occasionally catch a few on the brown and white.
My favorite pattern is blue and silver with a spike on the trebble.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:09 PM »
If your lake has shiney minnows use shiney colors/Silver lake has fat heads so black and gold seem to work good but perch is my fav.[It has those too].....
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

fishtale51

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2005, 05:09 PM »
If your lake has shiney minnows use shiney colors/Silver lake has fat heads so black and gold seem to work good but perch is my fav.[It has those too].....

appreciate the info         thanks

Offline fishnfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2005, 05:50 PM »
fishstails here is a trick I use...take the treble hook off the end,tie on a 6-12 leader of line with bucktail jig...  I used this rig with stick baits for crappie and decided to get creative...boy oh boy it worked pretty good!!
most anglers spend their lives in making rules for fish,,,,,,,,, and fish spend their lives breaking them

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2005, 02:15 AM »
I still stck with my old orange one with spikes!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2005, 12:22 PM »
#2 or #3 in rainbow trout with the treble cut off and a orange jamminjig bobber fry 3" or so below with a small piece of chartruese gulp. Have no idea why it works, there are no trout to speak of in my waters, but it does. Catch perch, crappie and the occasional really big gill with it.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:52 PM »
I use a perch colored rapala for perch/walleyes - works great.  I also use a silver/blue one that really tears up the smelt - I have also caught a few lakers on it - not huge ones but if you are expecting a smelt on 2lb test line and a 25" laker decides he likes it, you better have nothing to do for the next 25-30 minutes.  Tight Lines!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

fishtale51

« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2005, 06:50 PM »
your talking jigging rapala right?  that is what I use mostly  #2 or #3  I put a fathead
on jig a little let it sit.. I really believe you get bigger fish  also a chance to get a walleye or pike. perch scale is my favorite  good luck Rick

Thanks Rick  appreciate info

fishtale51

« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Try putting mousies on the bottom treble hook or spikes even one spike on the nose hook, drop to the bottom then pick it up a few inches hold for a few seconds
then pick it up a couple feet fast and drop it down to a couple inches off the bottom hold for several seconds then repete, try changing your times on the holding till you find what works for you[where your at ]...

Appreciate info  THANKS

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:44 PM »
I have my best luck with number 3's and 5's.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:34 PM »
Swimming lures like the jigging rapala are some of the very best ice lures around. I have a whole box full of them. Perch, Crappie, Trout, Walleye, Pike, even catfish love them. Since they are so heavy, they need heavier line to work than other lures. I wouldn't use anything under 6 pound test to use these lures, even for panfish. For the bigger raps, say over a #7, I would use 12 pound mono or fluorocarbon. The heavier line slows down the rap and makes it swim in a slower, more tantalizing circle. For a #2 or #3, six pound test is fine. Fluorocarbon is probably the best option if using heavier line because it's invisible.
For walleyes, I like to place a small minnow head on the treble, but often with walleyes you don't have to. For panfish or trout, a tiny sliver of crawler or a perch eye works great.
To fish them, start with a 2 foot lift fall, and let it sit for about 10 seconds. Then add subtle jiggles every 5 - 10 seconds for about 20 seconds, followed by another lift/fall/pause. They swim in a circle and will be moving for quite some time after you pause.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com