Author Topic: Blackstrap 2020-2021  (Read 67833 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2020-2021
« Reply #120 on: Dec 09, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Just back from a beautiful day on the lake at the North end.  Fished with two other ice shanty members, and their flashers were lit up
all day with fish (mainly perch, but some big red marks through out the day).  We did land 4 pike between the three of us.  The bite was
very soft, not aggressive at all.  Best time was from 10:30 to 2:00, then if died down, even though their were steady marks up until we left at 4:30.  Still lot's of little perch between 4 to 9 inches.  Between the three of us we kept 17 nice ones, 10 to 11 1/2.  The last two or three times out the bigger ones seem to be moving in.

As for the warm weather, nothing to worry about.  There is still close to 2 inches of snow covering the whole North end as far as I could see South.  No water at all on the ice.  After this cold spell is over, we will be able to drive on.

Offline _CWG_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Hey there I am new to this forum. Everything has been super helpful for this rookie. I don’t have any fancy electronics to help me find depth. I’m wondering how far you would walk out to hit 20-25 FOW at the north end.
Thanks.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #122 on: Dec 10, 2020, 12:07 PM »
Hey there I am new to this forum. Everything has been super helpful for this rookie. I don’t have any fancy electronics to help me find depth. I’m wondering how far you would walk out to hit 20-25 FOW at the north end.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

You shouldn't have to walk very far!!  Take a look at this screenshot.

Tight Lines!   :tipup:

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 10, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I don't use electronics either so I take a spool of tipup line and tie a sinker every 5 feet for 30 feet and I lower that down the hole a measure that way

Offline Sparetimeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Dec 11, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Hey was just wondering how the ice is at the north end. Cant imagine u can drive on uet hey? Wanna take my daughters fishing sunday but dont wanna have to make them walk real far lol, they seem to lose interest quick that way.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Dec 11, 2020, 06:17 PM »
The ice at the North end is fine.  There is still a couple of inches of snow on top.  It didn't melt that much during that mini warm spell.

Sunday is going to be colder.  There is a good 10 inches of solid ice.  No one driving on yet, but I imagine come Tuesday or Wed there will be.

Offline Sparetimeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 11, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Cool thanks, hopefully get the girls into all the perch ive been hearing about

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Dec 11, 2020, 07:51 PM »
I find you have to go out a little further South of the causeway, then were most people are set up.

The bite is very soft, 1/2 of the fish I have been catching I only notice the rod tip move a little.  Very seldom feel the fish bite.  So the girls will have to sit still
and watch the rod tip.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:03 PM »
or set up a bunch of jawjackers  ;D

Offline Sparetimeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Haha love jaw jackers!

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Dec 11, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Was out on the south end today on the west side for 2 1/2 hours. Perch bite was good and consistent. As CR said a lot of soft bites but was able to ice them if paying attention. Everything again was small with only one 9 inches and one 10 inches. The only thing I brought back   was two empty Pilsner cans left on the ice by someone else. Be better people!!!!! Where do you think this litter will end up?
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Dec 12, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Is it possible the bigger perch population is down after getting hammered all of last winter? I know the limits 10 but it seams odd they were so abundant last year and not much to report this year for a perch over 10”

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I have been fishing strap for 10 years in summer and winter now.  Not bad luck for perch the whole time.

Could be a possibility that the large perch population is down.  The lake gets fished hard and often all year round (being so close to Saskatoon).  Plus with the whole Covid thing i bet last winter and this winter ice fishing will be way up just for people to get out of the house more.

I know those jumbos have been coming out steady the last 4-5 years let alone last year...

The amount of perch in there is phenomenal they are all over the camera/sonar.  I’m sure the larger ones are still lurking and will start coming around.  The little ones will grow soon enough as long as they are released healthy.  Be gentle with them and use barbless hooks.

Please keep the ice/water clean (as previously mentioned) and best of luck.

Tight lines.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #133 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Two of us started at 9:45 this morning at Evans Road.  Fished until 12:15 and only caught a dozen small ones.  Packed up and left for the far North end.  There is no snow on the South end and the ice is a good 13 inches of solid black ice.  Had I known that, I would of driven on instead of walk on.  Was surprised with the number of people fishing out front of the launches and no one went and got their vehicle.

We got to the far North end and started fishing shortly after 1.  We fished until 4:30 and had steady action all afternoon, lot's of perch, one small walleye, one small pike.  We only kept 13, which were all a good 10 inches to 12. 

As Pollock mentioned the strap get's hammered year round.  And people seem to be catching as many perch during the summer as winter.  I never fish the strap during open water, so I am only going by what other people are telling me.  And as Pollock said....everyone's camera/flasher are showing tons of perch almost anyplace you drill a hole in over 20 fow.  So population is very good....not to worry about that.  I would be more worried about the population been down vs the size been down.  Population is excellent for the pressure the strap gets.
So we might have to wait another year or two for the size to come back.  Remember most animals, fish, etc go in cycles, so just keeping going out and enjoying a great day on the ice, and if you get into the fish.....bonus bonus.

Oh, the ice at the North end is still only 10 inches, the snow cover has kept it from getting to 12 and 13 like the South end, which has no snow.

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:21 AM »
Fished yesterday from 12:30-4:30 just south of the pump house at Shields in 19' of water.  I measured 12" of ice where I was.  Saw lots on the flasher but only ended up with 2- 6" perch.
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #135 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:47 AM »
I have seen on many lakes where fish are being eaten on the ice or on the shore for a shore lunch or are being given to other fishers or friends. Then the person continues fishing and the previously caught fish are not included as part of their daily limit. I think this may be a factor in the diminished size on Blackstrap. Most bigger ones being caught are kept. Please remember that if you catch 'em and do not throw them back they are part of your daily/possession limit. Tight lines.

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:51 PM »
What a nice sunny day out today.Me and the boy Took shack out and set up. Saw cholo out there who also gave us a hand  Hope to move it across as the ice thickens  was a solid 13” out from launch and lots of perch on the camera (pic)  but like others are saying very small. Went home empty handed but you can’t beat getting out
Cheers

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Nice shot of the perch!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline _CWG_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Ventured out in the frigid weather today at the North end. Caught 30 plus perch. Was able to keep 5 nice ones. All in all it was a good day. Can’t believe it’s going to be in the plus temps on the weekend.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:24 PM »
CWG, did you drive on?  Should of been 12 inches of ice...no?

Offline _CWG_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:14 PM »
No I didn’t have the courage to do so :) I was out early and no one was on the ice yet, plus I had a 70 year old passenger I was looking out for.  The ice was pretty thick, I didn’t get a measurement. There were a few vehicles by the shoreline near the entrance in the afternoon.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Dec 16, 2020, 07:09 PM »
Drove out with the trucks today from the boat launch. The ice was 13 plus inches thick. We saw a few other trucks out there as well.

With the ability to travel around we checked out a few old spots south of the launch. The results were spotty with an inconsistent bite and some very small perch caught. Around 1:00 we broke down the tents and went back to the vicinity of the launch. My partner got a hole drilled and began yarding out perch one after another. We experienced one of the most sustained and aggressive bites that Blackstrap has offered us in a long time. I was using maggots on a small tungsten jig, and spent so much time unhooking fish and re baiting that my fingers got too cold. I finally had to stop and set up the tent and heater, but the bite continued. DH caught 32 out of the same hole. I went from fishing two rods to one because there was just too much going on. A lot of 7 and 8 inch fish were released. I had no keepers over 10 however.

The fish were still biting at sundown. What a fun afternoon!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #142 on: Dec 16, 2020, 07:46 PM »
@speckspotter - Haha...going down to one rod to keep up is a good problem to have!  ;D Glad you had a good day out there.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #143 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:53 PM »
What a nice sunny day out today.Me and the boy Took shack out and set up. Saw cholo out there who also gave us a hand  Hope to move it across as the ice thickens  was a solid 13” out from launch and lots of perch on the camera (pic)  but like others are saying very small. Went home empty handed but you can’t beat getting out
Cheers

hey real trapper, what make of cam is that? It sure has a nice picture! What depth?

Offline jjy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:07 PM »
@speckspotter Is the boat launch at the Evans Road?
Thank you!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:28 PM »
That is a very clear picture.  What caught my eye, is the bottom of the lake, with that growth going on.  Not your typical mud bottom.

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Hey bite-me7 yes it is a good pic. That pic does it no justice really due to what happens when you take a pic of a screen with a camera but any way this is the link on amazon for it

And that was in 22’ of water on a sunny day but even when there is snow cover it’s the same. Cheers

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:02 PM »
JJY,

The launch is on the East side of the lake. Enter at the park gates and look for the launch signs.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I was out yesterday and drove on for the first time.  Used the North boat launch and thanks to Evan it is very good for getting on and off.
Thanks again Evan for opening it up.

The ice is a good 14 inches, and there were at least another 6 or 7 trucks driving around.  I was exploring spots that were to far for walking on, and found perch in 3 of the 4 spots.  There were times when it was one after the other.  It died down at 2:30 until 4, as I went are tried the 3 spots between those times, and they were all dead.  Then at 4 until I left at 5:15 it went crazy.

Oh Speckspotter, my hands didn't get cold all day, even with all that wind.  I only have to change my perch eye every 30 to 40 perch.  So I
only had to take my gloves off 3 times VS maggots every fish  ;)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Dec 18, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Regarding TherealTrapper's camera picture and the fish and bottom growth.  I sent it to a biologist friend of mine and this is the reply I got.
Maybe there is a lot of that stuff on the bottom and the little perch are hiding in it.  Hence all the small perch we are catching.

I pasted the picture into word and then enlarge it.  It looks like rooted aquatic plants. They grow on the bottom where there is enough light and wave action is not strong enough to uproot them. Fish like being n them as it allows them to hide from bigger fish and there can be a lot of aquatic invertebrates for them to eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.