IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

steel vs flouro leaders

(1/2) > >>

Papa Sly:
For several years I have tried through use to determine if steel gets less flags as a result of pike being leader shy. I have always recorded and found that we got more flags with flourocarbon but always used the black wire.
This year thanks to some advise from guys on here I tried the 7 strand camo colored coated wire and that stuff is incrediable. We got as many or more flags with that wire as we did with the flouro. That stuff is indistructable while we had 3 bite offs on 50 lb flouro...big fish!
The lastr 4 days I put out 4 tipups with the black wire and never got a flag on them. The water was very stained where we were fishing but we also got bass and perch on the camo wire. Next year I will try it locally where thge water is clear and see if we still catch bass on them.
Thanks to all for the advise

snow snake:
   OK, sounds good where did you buy the 7 coated camo leaders
     will try this come spring.
   Ralph

PikeKing23:
I made the same switch this year. I was using 60lb Seagar blue label, but the 20lb 7 strand is awesome. I also use a 20 vmc snap at the end to change out hooks. Super thin wire.

Wheres Walleye:
I've had pretty good success with this too.

Papa Sly:
local bait shop...a little cheaper on amazon but like to try and help out the locals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version