IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

eskimo 650xd outbreak and general pop up question!

(1/2) > >>

FrostyRod:
Hi All, just picked up a barely used eskimo 650xd popup. This is my first popup and i'm generally new to ice fishing so i'm acquiring some gear. Question about the popup: I've set it up and it looks like there is a lot of pressure on the fibreglass rods to the point that they are not sitting flush, they are clearly bending under the pressure of the fabric. now i know it needs to be a tight fit, but its to the point where one of the sides wants to pop in when i try to close one of the triangular doors. the shack has only been used once, it is basically brand new. Is there a "break in" period where the fabric will stretch? have i done something wrong during setup? are there adjustments in can make? what should i try? all advice appreciated! thanks in advance!!!

jrjach75:
I've owned a fatfish and a quickfish 3, bought both new, and while I didn't take measurements or anything, it did seem like the fabric stretched a bit from being set up, after several hours. I could tell when popping it up, it got easier and didn't seem as tight when opening a door zipper. On both, the fiberglass rods were always under tension, enough that they would be in a very slightly "S" shape when set up, that never went away.
I wouldn't recommend it without talking to Eskimo first, but I have heard of people who needed to take out their fiberglass rods and trim them down a little shorter. I don't think there is any adjustments that can be made unless the XDs are different than what I have/had.

hardwater diehard:
Setting it up and letting it stretch out some should help ...also make sure it sitting level and straight/pulled out ...that will help with the S curve on the rod/poles . Some things I added to my arsenal

https://www.landmsupply.com/lakco-hub-shelter-shelf

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-GT64-01-R3/313478931?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-2003851-1420157-EdgeBingFlow&clickid=1dvQfJRbLxyPTBuwHWV0SWgoUkH3Amy5zSQNWI0

GBguy:
The S curve in the poles can also be remedied by spinning the poles with the hub collapsed. They seem to have a sweet spot where you can get them to sit straight if spun to the right position.

slipperybob:
If it's really bad, you just have to move either the pocket or the hub.  If the hub is off centered a bit, yeah another little hole a few millimeters or so will help. Stripping the end sleeve pocket off and resewing it is a major pain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version