IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip

(1/13) > >>

Figure ate:
What did you guys prefer for your deadstick setup? I've always preferred a slip bobber to allow light biting fish to really get ahold of the bait, but I see a lot of guys going with just a soft tipped rod.

Why do you prefer the method you use?

jimhaney08:
I have only ever done the bobber method, but I'm going to switch up to a rod rocker setup for this year.  I found the bobber might be long gone before I notice.  I think I'll be more likely to notice the rod moving than a finesse bobber going under.  Following this thread closely.

mcully:
soft tip with a little backbone for my perch dead sticks. Line tightens up and the tip starts dropping time to set the hook. It shows up on my flasher so can drop it back to same depth fast enough and see if fish chsed the other one up and stop on them if they did or start jigging to get multiples

Ice_Fly_Guy:
I haven't decided which way I like the best, but I'm leaning toward just the correct rod for the tactic rather than a float.  I've obtained a bait runner reel, so I'm hoping my bobber days are mostly over.

MC_angler:

--- Quote from: Figure ate on Jan 03, 2020, 08:36 AM ---What did you guys prefer for your deadstick setup? I've always preferred a slip bobber to allow light biting fish to really get ahold of the bait, but I see a lot of guys going with just a soft tipped rod.

Why do you prefer the method you use?

--- End quote ---

Whynotboth.jpg

I generally use a slip bobber weighted to have the top just barely above the surface, and a fairly soft tipped rod. Few inches of line so the bobber can be taken under. If I notice, great. If not, the rod tip acts just like a normal deadstick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version