Author Topic: Is vexilar done with multiple beam transducers?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Is vexilar done with multiple beam transducers?
« on: Jul 23, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I don’t see any dual or tri beams on vexilar site. Are they done with multi beam transducers?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is vexilar done with multiple beam transducers?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:22 PM »
As far as I know the duals were discontinued a long time ago and the tri beams were discontinued as of last year.  they only offer the 19, 12, 9 (pro view) degree transducers now unless they bring something new out this year but I haven't heard nothing yet if they are even going to have anything new at all this year.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Anyone know if vexilar got a new dual or tri beam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2019, 01:43 PM »
With advancement in "live" type devices, I can't imagine that they aren't scrambling to come with something to the market.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:20 PM »
With advancement in "live" type devices, I can't imagine that they aren't scrambling to come with something to the market.

If the idiots don't bring back or bring the tribeam or dual beam.....once my transducer craps I'm going to marcum or Humminbird......Total head up his @$$ at vexilar.....pro view is a joke.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:44 AM »
My guess is that any new multi-frequency setups will be integrated electronics within whatever updated model Vexilar rolls out with next to which they will add a toggle or software button to choose your desired cone angle - basically the same approach already being employed by the other manufacturers.  By obsoleting the stand alone switch controlled transducers they'll have the "upgrade" marketing feature to lure buyers to the new units and I wouldn't be surprised if those integrated "toggle" electronics were designed to offer those multi-frequency cone options whilst using.... the Proview transducer. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2019, 08:21 AM »
The pro-view ducer is a joke and the tri-view was crap. My FIL has a triview crap out last year and Vexilar sent him one for free. I suggest emailing vexilar and seeing if they send you one for free as well. Make sure to tell them about your broken one..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2019, 08:24 AM »
The pro-view ducer is a joke and the tri-view was crap. My FIL has a triview crap out last year and Vexilar sent him one for free. I suggest emailing vexilar and seeing if they send you one for free as well. Make sure to tell them about your broken one..

The old Tribeams were bad. The newer black Tribeams are good. The Proview is a joke. There is no way of knowing how wide the cone is unless you drill holes and check

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2019, 09:41 AM »
i called vexilar last winter and asked if they still had any and unless the guy was just blowing smoke told me personally they don't make them anymore and they do not have any stashed away and are not planning on making them anymore.  i told him that was too bad as there is still a market for the tri-beams.  i have been a vex guy since day one but want a little more control and am prob going to make the switch over this year t

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2019, 12:58 PM »
They should go back to the dual beam as an option, that was fairly proven.  The tri was unecessary. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2019, 01:11 PM »
The Proview is a joke. There is no way of knowing how wide the cone is unless you drill holes and check

Imo, the 9 degree is the best flasher type ducer for high flying panfish and streamer trout. 

It's safe to say it's about 9 degrees and there is no drilling required if you assume that.  >:D

With the vex, you crank the gain up and read a secondary blob that is much stronger nearer the transducer.  Yeah, it's wider than 9deg, but not really a cone to worry about at any serious depth.  It's like a bonus ability, a blob making superpower.  Upping the gain only changes the display, displaying fainter readings that it always picks up.  It's a sensitivity thing, not a cone shape change like the chirp type stuff sourcing different frequencies.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Last I know of they were having too many problems with them. That was when I called about a issue I was having. They said typical issue of cracking the outer case and would only be warrantying them until stock went out and didn’t have plans on another. Warranty 2yrs ago
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Last I know of they were having too many problems with them. That was when I called about a issue I was having. They said typical issue of cracking the outer case and would only be warrantying them until stock went out and didn’t have plans on another. Warranty 2yrs ago
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2019, 04:12 PM »
That was the first generations with the red band.black ones without red band work great.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:46 AM »
That was the first generations with the red band.black ones without red band work great.
I understand that but was just relaying the info I was told when I did the warranty
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2019, 11:20 AM »
The black caps with the red bottoms.....(not a red cap) are fine. The reason the tri beams with the red cap were junk is because a dum sob tried to save a few cents and they used a potting epoxie that expanded and shrank with the extreme temps causing the tribeam cap to crack.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2019, 06:46 PM »
 :tipup: secular has been my everlasting go to for decades.  My FL 20 with 12 degree ducer will fulfill all my needs during what seems it's endless life. 
Dick

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Love my FL 20 with dual beam 19/9 transducer.  Nice to be able to switch to 9° in deep water and 19° in shallower water. Probably switch to a different brand also on my next unit, they just seem to be behind everyone else these days.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Love my FL 20 with dual beam 19/9 transducer.  Nice to be able to switch to 9° in deep water and 19° in shallower water. Probably switch to a different brand also on my next unit, they just seem to be behind everyone else these days.

I got a 50th anneversery FL 20. Was really happy with the 9/19. Has never failed.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:56 PM »
:tipup: secular has been my everlasting go to for decades.  My FL 20 with 12 degree ducer will fulfill all my needs during what seems it's endless life. 
Dick

You have no idea what you are missing.

If you fish shallow water, a 19* and a 9* are must haves.

19* when you aren't in weeds to get a bigger area of view covered.
9* when weeds are near and you need to clear up the screen from them.

Deeper water a 19* is nice for scouting and finding fish. The 9* is nice when in a shack to keep your buddies lure off your screen.

Just having a 12* alone really significantly handicaps using the sonar in different conditions.

Hence why I would dump vexilar and move to other flasher typ sonars like the marcum LX5 or the Humming bird Units.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Their business model isn't built to succeed long term...they have to know this. Brushless motors and LED lights on 50 year old tech isn't going to keep people interested in your products. Its like selling an offset handle spoon auger - the cutting head still sucks. Does it cut? Yeah, but its far from the best option and still below the good option.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Responses and replies

from vexilar.

My name is Matt, I am one of the service techs and engineers at Vexilar.  I read your email about multiple beam Ice-ducers and just wanted to inform you that the two multi-cone angle ducers we have had in the past were actually the worst performing ice-ducers we have ever released and that is why they were discontinued.  I am a tournament ice fisherman and guide and do a lot of our ducer testing .  The pro-view, in many ways, is our best performing ice-ducer.  I would love to explain to you the differences in performance, and maybe even help you understand how ducers actually work so you can educate other forum "experts" and learn the tricks and tips to the Pro-view that many of us professionals rely on everyday.  Please give me a call at (952) 884-5291 if would like to learn about our ducers!  Thanks for your time and I hope you have a good day and a great hardwater season.

Matt Waldron - Service
Vexilar, Inc.
6667 West Old Shakopee Rd
Minneapolis, MN 55438

Phone: 952-884-5291
Fax: 952-884-5292

My response

All we need to know has customers is if you are done with making/producing tri & dual beams. Its pretty simple. If you are then the customer base will move on. You can talk the pro view up all you want. We simply dont want the thing. I’ve used it and dislike it has many many others have. It is really sad how vexilar has regressed in the industry to the point they can’t even put out a dual beam transducer. Every other company has been successful with a dual beam that works. I guess its time for us to move on.

Vexilars response.

Thank you for your interest in Vexilar.

It’s unfortunate that’s there’s a lot of confusion on transducers and how they actually work out there.  Yes, we’ve had multiple beam transducers in the past and the problem with dual or tri-beam transducers is that they really don’t work or perform as they should.  It doesn’t matter if you take one of ours or another manufactures dual or tri-beam, they’re signal(s) aren’t as strong.  If you were to compare the cone angle of an individual 9 or 19 degree to the 9 or 19 degree of a dual beam, you’d be disappointed in the actual results.

Thanks for your feedback and happy fishing,
Corey

My response

What is unfortunate is the ignorance of your reply. Look,  I'm not confused on how transducers or sonar work. I've ran the dual, tri, single beams, and the piece of crap pro view. My good friend is in the navy that I talk with and knows more about sonar then what the claim of a "Pro" fisherman knowing all. I've compared them side by side. What is disappointing is the regression of the company products at Vexilar with the ownership and leadership. Simply let me know if the company plans on not having a dual or tribeam transducer. A I don't want some story about the freaking Pro View. If there is no intent on a dual or tri beam, I'll get rid of the 4 vexilars I have and move to a progressive company like Marcum or Huminbird.

Vexilars response

I’m sorry that you do not want to learn why we have chosen to discontinue the dual/tri beam ducers by calling me so I can explain the performance differences to you.  We have no future plans for a multiple beam ducer.  If you are unhappy, then I am sorry but I’m not going to get in a keyboard arguement if you do not want to call so I can educate you on ice ducer technology.  Have a good day and ice season.

Educate........I've heard the BS crap from them before on how the pro view is the magical transducer......only I have fished a tri beam next to the pro view, and the proview didn't even come close to being able to preform like the tribeam on being flexible and changeable to the situation.

Looks like I will be DUMPING all my Vexilars when the Tribeams go bad.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Interesting exchange, thanks for sharing. I still don’t understand why the rep didn’t answer your question sufficiently, it wasn’t complicated.
(By the way I just purchased a dual-beam Marcum and look forward to using it this season.)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:46 PM »
How much you willing to pay for an extra. I have the one warrantied still brand new. I prefer the 12* I don’t know about if it’s a pro view or not but it’s my prefrance over the tri beam. Yes you are right the tri beam is nice for very shallow or very deep water but it’s rare for me to ice fish water more then 50-60 ft. If your ready to throw the ol vex out any way throw it this way.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:51 PM »
I may be one of the few that like the Proview, it took a while to figure out but it really does work, at least for me. Low power and gain adjustment are the key shallower than 20 feet. It takes getting used to but once you figure it out it’s pretty easy to use. I have a FLx28 and Helix 5, both have their good and bad points.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Dan J, which do you prefer in shallow water say less that 15 feet?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:43 PM »
I may be one of the few that like the Proview, it took a while to figure out but it really does work, at least for me. Low power and gain adjustment are the key shallower than 20 feet. It takes getting used to but once you figure it out it’s pretty easy to use. I have a FLx28 and Helix 5, both have their good and bad points.

A pro view will never get as narrow as the 8* on a tribeam, and will never get has wide has the 19 on a tribeam in shallow water with a display that isn't blobby. This is from first hand testing.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Dan J, which do you prefer in shallow water say less that 15 feet?
Depends, lots of weeds the 28. Clean bottom, both work. Hole hopping, the 28. I take both most of the time. With Lithium batteries in both units they weigh about the same as 1 with a regular battery. Bottom line is learn to use the one you have, the latest and greatest isn’t any better than the user if your not dialed in.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:21 PM »
thanks for the reply

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:24 AM »

Completely agree

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.