New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How cold is TOO cold?  (Read 3998 times)

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
How cold is TOO cold?
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:10 PM »
I’m setting a personal record tomorrow. Adirondacks trip. Morning temps. forecast for -18. Curious if folks have an “I won’t go if it’s below_______degrees”. Just want to see if I’m dedicated or nuts. I do expect a slow to non-existent bite but the Airbnb is paid for and non-refundable.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How cold is TOO cold?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:13 PM »
nuts  ;D
good luck and stay safe ;)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:16 PM »
I've hiked in similar conditions before. Temps never went above 0 the whole day. However, im constantly moving while climbing a mountain and producing a bunch of body heat. Im planning on being out there so we will find out. I know for a fact i wont be moving as often or setting as many tip ups but i will definitely give it a shot. Ive got a full tank of propane and a buddy flex for a reason. Time to let them earn there keep

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:16 PM »
-35c without windchill. At that point it's kinda misery with getting things warmed up or started.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:18 PM »
For me it's more about wind than the temp. If it's super windy, I just call a mulligan, because it makes setup and takedown a miserable nightmare.

I've fished in -35 or so on a few calm days when I was living in MN. Holes shrink up bad when it's that cold, though, and you're constantly fighting freeze over, even inside a fish house.

More recently, -10ish is about the coldest I've been out for, but it doesn't get below 0 that often around here.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:26 PM »
For me it's more about wind than the temp.

Calling for 6mph winds. I won’t complain about that.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:52 PM »
No such thing.  I love days like that.  Keeps the crowds down. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:54 PM »
Calling for 6mph winds. I won’t complain about that.

That shouldn't be bad at all, as long as you keep your hands and feet dry.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:57 PM »
I have a separate fishing strategy for when it's bitter cold.  I find a place where I can park next to shore, put out my tipups, and use the truck shanty.  The only reasons I go out is to clean out holes or get a flag, which doesn't happen often since my fishing spot on those days is dictated by convenience rather than productivity.  Tomorrow will definitely be a truck shanty day.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2022, 03:48 PM »
Truck shanty…..lol. I call it my heated side by side with Satellite radio. No better feeling watching that sun go down knowing you’ll be in a heated shanty jigging for perch and eyes next time you see it coming up!!! Tomorrow we separate ice fisherman from the keyboard warriors

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04:43 PM »
I dont care how cold it is. As long as I have my heater and snacks. I will stay in my flip shanty all day. I switched to a thermal fabric last year and there is a huge difference in keeping in the warmth  and blocking wind.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04:55 PM »
There is no such thing as bad weather just bad gear.  If you have gear that is designed to handle super cold then get out and enjoy it.  I’ve spent time up on the north slope where it would get down to -50 for weeks (don’t ask about the windchill) and I could do my job and operate in relative comfort all because I had gear designed for that situation.  Always carry an extra set of gloves inside your cloths so you always have a way to warm your hands.  I cannot stress the fact enough that controlling your perspiration is paramount in staying warm.  Have fun be safe.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05:52 PM »
The average joe is never, ever gonna enjoy -50°F

I've been outside when it's -50° a couple times in my life, and it sucks. There are absolutely no other words in the English language necessary to describe it. Telling someone to go enjoy fishing at -50 is like telling them to enjoy dipping their toes in battery acid  :P

When propane freezes in the lines outside, it sucks.

When you have to wear goggles to keep your eyelashes from freezing together, it sucks.

When you have to wear as much thermal protection as Neil Armstrong did on the moon to go outside and not die... it sucks.  :roflmao:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:03 PM »
There is no such thing as bad weather just bad gear.  If you have gear that is designed to handle super cold then get out and enjoy it.  I’ve spent time up on the north slope where it would get down to -50 for weeks (don’t ask about the windchill) and I could do my job and operate in relative comfort all because I had gear designed for that situation.  Always carry an extra set of gloves inside your cloths so you always have a way to warm your hands.  I cannot stress the fact enough that controlling your perspiration is paramount in staying warm.  Have fun be safe.

I agree, windproof/waterproof clothing that breathes works well in cold temps, been out at -40 on the 4 wheeler and been comfortable hunting and fishing.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:06 PM »
After 34 years of ice fishing, I do choose my battles now. There was a time when I went fishing on a day off from work, regardless of the weather. I've fished without a shelter or heater in - 25 F before, and I have fished in horizontal, wind-driven snow that accumulated to 18 inches while I was fishing. At my age, extreme conditions are not an adventure as they once were, just something that needs to be avoided as the discomfort far outweighs the fishing experience.

If I am well rested and feel good, I will still get out at - 10F if the wind is calm or non-existant
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:21 PM »
I could not have said that any better Warrior...I've got nothing to prove, and the fishing on bitter cold windy days just isn't worth the pain anymore

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:33 PM »
Get after it……I’d fish it!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2022, 08:36 PM »
It's a person to person thing. When you don't enjoy it, then it's too cold.

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:33 AM »
Sunny and calm is more important to me than temps. -10 with overcast and a breeze is way worse than the same temp if its sunny.
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:46 AM »
 When it gets cold some should wear a face mask as not to breath in really cold air ,
 Shack , heater , food I’m good ,

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:07 AM »
No such thing as too cold! 😜

Of course in PA we haven’t had anything colder than -8* a couple times.

Might be different if I was in Minn. or Alaska with -30 or -40 temps! 🤪
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:09 AM »
I agree with you F/R
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:12 AM »
I always pull my neck warmer up over my nose.   Heck I was outside filling the bird feeders yesterday and had it on.  ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:22 AM »

I live back in the woods you see

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:47 AM »
I fished -31C (-25F)without shelter during a 3 day fishing trip last winter, but for the most part, I pick my days and try to fish warmer than -10C (14F).

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:17 AM »
Welp...what I found was that I wasn't too cold to fish but much of everything else was. Vex battery, Ion auger battery both got REAL weak. Trying to keep tip ups open and functioning was tough. Had a slow day but iced a few keepers. I will fish this again but I will travel light, 1 man clam flipover, leave the tip ups and extras home, bring a heater, vex, remove the auger battery when not in use and bring it inside, and hole hop.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:30 AM »
yep...when it's <0*F I stay put in the shanty

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2022, 03:33 PM »
Sat out on Tomhannock one day it was -15 degrees with no wind

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:25 PM »
I have yet to find how cold is too cold and I have fished in temps well below -25

If i'm up and car is loaded, I'm fishing. Im more worried about crazy winds than cold.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2022, 02:37 PM »
Last weekend was -12 (-40 with wind chill) and -8 (not much wind) at Chaumont and it honestly was not quite as bad as I expected. Set-up was miserable with the steam from our breathe in the hut and ice on my glasses, but once the heater got to the 2nd 1lb tank it was pleasant.  Certainly was not very mobile.  ATV did not start so we had to drag out.  Ya gotta do what you gotta do.  Put the layering system to the test with excellent results.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.