Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227732 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #630 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Ice Junky - give Verona Lake a try. Easy access, good fishing and close to conveniences. You will not be disappointed!

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #631 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:56 PM »
i have fished Verona many times, summer and winter.. and NOTHING....  watched others pull fish... I must have been doing something wrong. lol.   Sadly my job as dictated i work this saterday, so not sure where im going to go sunday and monday..
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #632 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:11 PM »
MegaRam - do not dispare there are plenty of fish in the lake. If you are out on Sunday look for the Team IceShanty flag and come on over. Will share some tips that work for my son and me. Stay safe on the ice.

Don
aka leviathan_slayer

Offline Seveer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #633 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:36 PM »
If anybody is looking to head out that way Tuesday/Wednesday send a pm. Up for pike, pickerel, lakers or splake.
Cheers.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #634 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:43 PM »
For those tech-savvy anglers here is a QR scan that will locate Verona Lake on a map.

Ciao for now!

Don
aka leviathan_slayer

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #635 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Can't say I have ever been skunked on Verona. My dads friend has a house on the lake with access to Hambly Lake as well. Some really nice fish in both lakes though they do get a good amount of pressure year round. Topwater frog fishermans paradise in the summer!
Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #636 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Tip-uptwo - there is constant pressure on certain parts of the lake but if you move to areas seldomly fished you will be surprised by what you catch. During winter months the cluster of sheds is not the place to set up if you want big fish. Knowing the lake and structure will help produce some good sized fish for this relatively small lake!

Cheers!

Don
aka leviathan_ slayer

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #637 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I have been using a great computer program over last 2 years to create bathymetric maps for lakes where you can not find such maps. I have mapped Verona, Howes and 2nd Depot Lakes with great success. The image below gives you an example of how the program outputs a map that I can use in paper form or even as a file on my GPS Fishfinder. The image below is the early version before I embedded it in a google map and added shoreline data. It makes fishing lakes with no existing maps a lot easier.

Don,
Thanks a million for posting this!! Superb work! Hope to see you out there to thank you in person.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #638 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Tip-uptwo - there is constant pressure on certain parts of the lake but if you move to areas seldomly fished you will be surprised by what you catch. During winter months the cluster of sheds is not the place to set up if you want big fish. Knowing the lake and structure will help produce some good sized fish for this relatively small lake!

(Image removed from quote.)

Cheers!

Don
aka leviathan_ slayer

That Black Frabill in the background is mine I had my atv out on sunday in the wind I was the one that wasnt ripping around everywhere barely got on the ice someones permanent hut blew half way across the lake... the access is brutal after all the water drained down to the ramp and I have only caught dinky pike the last couple outings this cold weather means lots of options for this weekend cant wait

What program did you use to make that map? a few spots seem a little off
SEOO

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #639 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:39 AM »
That Black Frabill in the background is mine I had my atv out on sunday in the wind I was the one that wasnt ripping around everywhere barely got on the ice someones permanent hut blew half way across the lake... the access is brutal after all the water drained down to the ramp and I have only caught dinky pike the last couple outings this cold weather means lots of options for this weekend cant wait

What program did you use to make that map? a few spots seem a little off

I recall in another thread you mentioned you would not reccomend this lake for panfish to another member? What exactly is it you are fishing for because the pike are not all that big in Verona  ;) ;D I've found the panfish populations in the lake to be stellar as far as bluegill and crappie go. The perch like on many lakes in the area take refuge just about anywhere on that lake.

The bluegill can be tough one to catch at times. I've found them all over and some gooduns too. The crappie are best caught early in the morning and pick up agian around dusk.

Map looks great!
Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #640 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 AM »
One thing you have to remember about Verona Lake is that it has active inflow and outflow points that keep the water well oxygenated. Although the vegetation in the back bays die off by mid-January there are 3 or 4 key areas that hold good populations of fair to good-sized fish. 9-12lb pike, 4-8lb walleye, 10-15" perch, etc.  The key is knowing the structure of the lake, the underwater inflow/outflow channel, and the hardness level of the bottom. The fish respond to all these factors. Use the points around the lake as the fish use these during the winter months.

Cheers for and good fishing!

Don

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #641 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 AM »
I fish for pike and if i can get into an eye great....as i said before the panfish are wormy and are not as good as good as they are on many other local lakes for eating....I'm not much for panfishing though i love the fight of a big pike and keep trout and eyes for the table
SEOO

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #642 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Hambly has some big pike, though its tough to gain access. I've only fished Verona for eyes, bass, bluegill and crappie. Can't say I've seen a perch over 8'' but then again only fished here 3 times  ;D
Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #643 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I think it is probably worth planning a Verona Lake outing in the next few weeks to get as many IceShanty members out.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #644 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:23 AM »
IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION FOR ZONE 18 FISHING

The Ontario MNR has changed some of the regulations:

Walleye regs have been changed in Zone 18, with a new slot restriction. Catch limits remain the same (four for sportfishing licencees, two for conservation), but only fish between 40 and 50 centimetres (15.7  to 19.7 inches) can be kept.

For later this year some good news though:

Bass anglers in Zone 18 (south-eastern) and Zone 20 (Lake Ontario) get three more weeks of bass fishing in 2013. The bass opener has been moved forward to the third Saturday in June, a week earlier than its traditional start date. Additionally, the season has been extended two weeks to December 15.

FYI.

Don

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #645 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Hello to everyone.  Just joined this site after fiding it on a search.  Moved here a couple of years ago but did not get out on the ice.  Been a long while since I have, prob back in the early 90's when I lived in Labrador.  Hoping to get out some thing year but am starting from scratch with min equipment.  Look forward to chatting and seeing people out on the ice.

Darryl

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #646 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Welcome Darryl, hope to see you on the ice.
@jzuliniak

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #647 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Leviathan Slayer,
Are you sure that is the correct interpretation of the waleye reg?  As I read it all fish must be between 40 and 50 centimeters.
I woudl really like to know which is correct because we have been putting back good eaters due to this reg.

ZONE 18 SEASONS AND LIMITS
SPECIES        OPEN SEASONS                          LIMITS
Walleye & Sauger or any combination
S - 4; Must be between 40-50 cm - (15.7– 19.7 in)
C - 2; Must be between 40-50 cm - (15.7– 19.7 in)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #648 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Leviathan Slayer,
Are you sure that is the correct interpretation of the waleye reg?  As I read it all fish must be between 40 and 50 centimeters.
I woudl really like to know which is correct because we have been putting back good eaters due to this reg.

You got it, anything below 40cm or above 50cm must be put back
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #649 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:04 AM »
The interpretation is correct and it is straight from the MNR website.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #650 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 AM »
For those interested I am in the process of developing a website dedicated to fishing in the Kingston area. I will look to provide updates that people provide in the blog section of the website. You watch my progress in developing the site at the following web address:

http://kingstonareafishing.webr.ly/

Hopefully it will be useful for anglers in the Kingston area and those that are visiting the area. Any suggestions you have feel free to share them with me.

Ciao for now.

Don

Offline cannitro482

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #651 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:06 PM »
For those interested I am in the process of developing a website dedicated to fishing in the Kingston area. I will look to provide updates that people provide in the blog section of the website. You watch my progress in developing the site at the following web address:

http://kingstonareafishing.webr.ly/

Hopefully it will be useful for anglers in the Kingston area and those that are visiting the area. Any suggestions you have feel free to share them with me.

Ciao for now.

Don

I know your site is a little different but do you know about www.fishkingston.com ?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #652 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Cannitro482,

Thanks from the post. Yes I am familiar with www.fishkingston.com  Has some good info. Trying to expand info available to people that covers a greater area around Kingston. As well trying to come up with a site that will useful and educational at the same time. For example, providing info about boat access for back lakes, sharing baths metric maps, etc.

Thanks again for the post!

Don

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #653 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 AM »
Leviathan Slayer,

Is that zone bay of quinte?  Going up in a couple weeks and just want to know

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #654 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:11 AM »
No thats not for the Bay of Quinty,       The bay is in zone 20 so the old regs are still good.
sig sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline weaver84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #655 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 AM »
back lake report as of yesterday 23 7-9in on secound depot this is 400 ft off launch. south end of rock off water st had 7-9in and inverary lake had 8-10. there is huts and trucks on all but secound but i would wait a few days yet for the truck heading out to load up the hut and get it on ice.     Great pike fishing in inverary lake

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #656 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Thanks weaver84 for the update. The weather has definitively firmed up the back lakes. I am expecting an assault on many of the lakes this coming weekend. Charge up those batteries, stock up those minnow buckets, sharpen the hooks, and get the layered clothing ready. It is time to fish! Woohoo!
`·.¸¸ >﹤((((º>.·´¯`·>﹤((((º>
>﹤((((º> ·...>﹤((((º>
·...>﹤((((º>`·.¸¸ >﹤((((º>.·´¯`·>﹤((((º>
>﹤((((º> ·...>﹤((((º>
·...>﹤((((º>`·.¸¸ >﹤((((º>.·´¯`·>﹤((((º>
>﹤((((º> ·...>﹤((((º>
·...>﹤((((º>

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #657 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:41 PM »
The ice is firming up and looking good. The fish are showing up on th screen but hanging to the bottom.

Looking forward to see fellow anglers on the ice this weekend!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #658 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Happy Hardwater 2012!
Can't wait to try out my new gear. (And the new techniques I've been playing through my head for months now)

Would appreciate any comments:
I am finally going to purchase a new power auger.
Propane is looking pretty good. The only cons I have read thus far are that they are heavier and the whole 'propane does not like the cold' thing.
Need to decide in 2 weeks. Would love some input from anyone with experience with a propane auger.

Thanks
Stay Safe, Mike

Offline jigncraw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #659 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Don (aka Leviathon Slayer) runs a propane auger, I believe, he posted last year it was a great drill. I bought a Rapala one last year, it runs great, no problems at all. Like all engines, if you store it properly they generally run well for years. If you get a gas auger I would run Premium gas through it with the proper oil mixture and I always add Seafoam to every tank, it stabilizes the gas and helps keep the engine clean and deposit free.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.