Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227728 times)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #420 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:58 PM »
So the hut blew away last night!  I searched the lake, and with the help of a couple nice locals on bikes found it half sunken and frozen upside down at the north end of the lake!  we flipped it and I pulled it back.  All is good, just need a new tarp...Lots of nice smooth ice out there now!

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #421 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Thats Wild was there open water from the wind or did it break through some thin ice? Was your hut originally on the south side of the lake where everyone usually puts them?
SEOO

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #422 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:37 PM »
So the hut blew away last night!  I searched the lake, and with the help of a couple nice locals on bikes found it half sunken and frozen upside down at the north end of the lake!  we flipped it and I pulled it back.  All is good, just need a new tarp...Lots of nice smooth ice out there now!

Oh man I feel bad about joking about that now.  That brutal,  the gusts were up to 90Km last night so I suspect there will be other people with missing huts as well.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #423 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Yikes! Glad you found it and it wasn't too damaged!

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #424 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:18 AM »
The hut started out on the South end where everybody else has the huts.  It blew all the way to the other end near the connection to Howes.  It slid most of the way as evidenced by the worn through tarp, and there must have been some sloppy wet stuff from the rain that night because all of my gear is now frozen to the side of my base (8 inches high) and the tarp wall was partially frozen in the ice too.  I am going to likely take the hut home next week and patch it up, but I must have build it well because it held up to quite a beating pretty darn well!  Anyways, what happened to the GTG?  a bunch of people showed up to fish but nobody was being friendly...

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #425 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:20 AM »
Oh, and I did find another hut in the middle fo the lake.  There were no holes around it, so I suspect it blew away too.  I didn't know where it came from so I left it be.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:18 AM »
The hut started out on the South end where everybody else has the huts.  It blew all the way to the other end near the connection to Howes.  It slid most of the way as evidenced by the worn through tarp, and there must have been some sloppy wet stuff from the rain that night because all of my gear is now frozen to the side of my base (8 inches high) and the tarp wall was partially frozen in the ice too.  I am going to likely take the hut home next week and patch it up, but I must have build it well because it held up to quite a beating pretty darn well!  Anyways, what happened to the GTG?  a bunch of people showed up to fish but nobody was being friendly...

Good craftsmanship my friend! :) I bet you a ton of stuff got destroyed by that wind storm, so the fact that your hut made it out alive is pretty impressive!

That's a shame about the G2G!?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #427 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:25 AM »
that sucks man!  Glad you found it in one piece, hopefully your gear's not trashed  :-\  Who would've thought you'd need anchors for a permy  :o
Anyways, what happened to the GTG?  a bunch of people showed up to fish but nobody was being friendly...
That's too bad, but what I would've expected...I know I'm not that much of a talker while fishing, how many IS guys were there?
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #428 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:28 AM »
no idea, there were a couple pop ups and a clam shelter that came out, but everybody kept to themselves.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #429 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:39 AM »
I had some vehicle troubles and did not get out at all last weekend.. I will be ready to go this saturday or sunday.

Let me know where everyone is headed

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #430 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:50 AM »
I was hoping for BoQ, I thought this cold should firm it up, but who knows?  Maybe SEOO can fill us in, or maybe dew-drop inn will have a report
Tight lines

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:19 AM »
Just aching to get out on the ice. I was going to invest in a new gas auger, but it looks like I may as well wait 'til next year. Anybody have any opinions about gas vs. propane? Propane won't smell up my hands and tackle and I heard a bottle is about 3/4 of tank of gas. Still, what about torque and overall reliability?

Heading out to Kingston this weekend. Just have to get a road-trip out of my system.
Dog is our usual go to for hard water. Does anyone know if it has good ice yet?
If not, I hear some of our honey holes are still open for casting.

Dead bait's the way to go this year. Had great success the end of last year. Just pick up some frozen mackerel (or whatever looks like a good meal) at the supermarket. Cheap, convenient and less hassle to transport. If you have them; hook a live bait above your dead bait to draw attention.

Stay safe
Mike

Offline icekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I did get out with the kids last Sunday and saw a few people out.  I said hi to on younger lad out there (Levi with the clam 2000) but he didn't know what "iceshanty.com" was or any G2G.  He did, however, walk out to where I had set up with the kids and drilled four holes for me with his power auger.  One proved to be hot, and we pulled 7 good size eaters (perch) out of there. So despite frozen sandwiches, warm "hot" chocolate, rock hard gummie bears, and my youngest soon taking a kid shovel-handle to the nose due to a "Wile E. Coyote" moment (his older brother told him to slam his foot down on the blade - and he did- before I could stop him) it was a good outing.  Looking to be back again next Sunday.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #433 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Dog is our usual go to for hard water. Does anyone know if it has good ice yet?
Yep, Dog is good in the back bays - with 5-8" of mediocre looking ice, still some open water in the deep parts as of last weekend.  Spud your way, and PM me for more specifics if needed.  I wouldn't drive an ATV/Sled on it though.
Tight lines

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #434 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Thanks. We always walk out from the Maple Hills/Hitchcock Dr. end, in the south east. Was thinking of trying the north end (Burnt Hills) that I hear about.
I'm sure I'll still have a smile on my face by Sunday  :)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #435 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Thanks. We always walk out from the Maple Hills/Hitchcock Dr. end, in the south east.
  Is there publice access down there?  I've never been down that road.

Was thinking of trying the north end (Burnt Hills) that I hear about.
nope...no fish on that end  ;)
Tight lines

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #436 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Is there publice access down there?  I've never been down that road.

Im told there is, there is a lane between some homes that leads down to a ramp and some minimal parking.. have yet to try it, but a buddy pointed me in that direction

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #437 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:30 AM »
huh...might have to give that go.  I drive by there everyday on my way home...I wonder if there's current through there with the lakes coming together at fiddlers elbow?  I never fished that area...headed down there once in boat this fall, motor died...it was a long windy row back to shipyards bay and I didn't have much of a chance to fish it.
Tight lines

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #438 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Just lost 6 paragraphs of typing  >:(
Grrr
Yep Hitchcock. Good parking and access.
Head straight for the island/rock on your right and drop your line about 50 yards off to the left.
About 1/4 of the way back to shore it starts to get shallow.
Usually fish for pike, but we keep catching 4lb largemouths. The fishing gods love their little jokes.
If Dog is no good maybe little Collins will be safer for us.
As I type we have just been hit with more winds and a snow squall. Probably headed your way.
Thanks again for all the great info.

Stay Safe
Mike

Offline c5Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #439 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Fiddlers has current and with these ice conditions it will have less ice that main lake... treat it like the main part of Dog ice wise be safe

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #440 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Oh not at all, I actually thought people were supposed to be showing up on Saturday.  That was my mom and stepdad, they had never heard of ice fishing before I told them I was doing it a couple years ago lol.  They wanted to see the hut and see what it was all about.  They had never seen perch before either, so they took a couple pics of the perch on the ice...it was funny.  The kid I was talking to was really nice, he didn't act all annoyed to have some old people talking to him.  It does a lot for the hobby when people aren't ignorant towards newcomers :)

Offline icekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:57 PM »
@Seveer - I must admit i was a bit floored with the help.  I grew up where you don't ask for help (unless you are in an emergency) and you make do with what you have - but if you can help someone less off than you you help them.  I'm really glad he came by - there was lot of ice for my 8" had crank to get thru (10")  The kids were super impressed watching him drill those holes that fast!  They mentioned it to mom before they mentioned the fish we caught.  I was stumped to see the shacks where they were. Out where I set up was a weed bed that was productive last year, by memory.  If you can find the edge of it you get a nice mixed bag of good sized perch and the occasional pike to keep it interesting. The shacks last year were in the area where you were fishing on a line out to where I was.  It was fun to have the kids out - when the first bell went off I turned around and they were just staring at it.  I was sure the rod was gonna end up in the water before I got to it (drag was too tight).  All in all it was a good time (except for frozen sandwiches)  fortunately I brought lots of snacks and coco. 

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #442 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Cant confirm anything with quinte since sunday although it looks like some others have been out i did sneak off work for go fish in the white out on verona quinte would been interesting with that wind the boys decided they wanted to go for a walk n try a new spot the wind and snow was interesting wasnt fun setting up the hut or trying to walk on glare ice we got pike n jumbo perch but nothing to write home about there was ton of ice and a truck crossed the lake  all of the permys were still in the same spots they were when we went out if any of you were getting worried although the wind didnt stop when we got off
SEOO

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:10 PM »
" with that wind the boys decided they wanted to go for a walk n try a new spot the wind and snow was interesting wasnt fun setting up the hut or trying to walk on glare ice "

Hey seoo, I was just next to you there (I started at daybreak). I'm still loughing thinking of this guy with his pop-up, ice sailing around. 

9am53 - I think it was your hut that fell on it's side - wind was quite fierce at times.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:43 AM »
ya that was me we usually setuo closer to where the huts are but they wanted to search an explore i was out there before them so i was getting my hut setup then they said they wanted to move
SEOO

Offline slayer89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #445 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Does anyone have a recent ice report for Upper Rock by chance?
Going Saturday for a dusk session at Upper Rock.
Thanks.

I believe a few of us are going there too sat, not sure of the ice conditions though.

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #446 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Hows the ice at haybay church? Hoping to bring the young lads out with me too tomorrow, but mamma bear wont let them come unless its safe. lol. she said I could go by myself, hahaha. Any info be great thanks.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #447 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:18 PM »
shows how much your wife likes you eh dave jk I would be willing to bet that the church has some of the safest ice on the bay right now I havent been out there yet but from previous years it has been some of the thicker ice early on.....Havent heard of many guys out there but I would bet there are permanent huts out on that side shermans huffs and deseronto are probably a little more questionable due the the currents over there I will likely be trying to fish the bay at the very least on sunday i gotta work tomorrow  boooo
SEOO

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Was at Church on Monday, there was lots of ice, and it's been cold all week , there was about 7-8 inches, best ice around, didn't get any eyes but we landed about 20 good sizr perch a few in the 13in range. Might go there early tomorrow or Huffs. Been fishing Loughbourgh the rest of the week , got a few lakers.
Tim

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:59 PM »
must be nice to be able to fish all week tim it's mudcat I'm not on the creek anymore but hopefully I'll see ya out on the ice sometime buddy any luck with the lakers I've been wanting to check out loughbrough but all my buddies want to fish eyes all weekend which is the only time I get to fish
SEOO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.