Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227727 times)

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #210 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Ice junky its all good the roiad okay been gettin splake around that area to also i got righjt up close to one of thoe holes and water gushin right up from it

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #211 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Guys, what is the easiest access point to walke out onto Eagle lake - looking for whitefish (or is it a myth that whities are common in that lake)? Any help would be most appreciated.
Kris

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Guys, what is the easiest access point to walke out onto Eagle lake - looking for whitefish (or is it a myth that whities are common in that lake)? Any help would be most appreciated.
Kris
not exactly sure where there is public access...I walked out from a private cottage laneway  off long lake road (they are protective of thier "private" laneways out there).

There's good public access/parking/walk out for long lake though...right along long lake road.

I know there is a public boat launch with parking on Eagle - but I'm not sure how to get there.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull - anyone else know how to get to the boat ramp?

Had a long day of skunking on Saturaday though...might want to try another lake
Tight lines

Offline OVFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Hey Everyone, I have recently relocated from the Ottawa Valley to just North of Kingston, and I have to say, I love the area. Love the fact that there are more than a few lakes within a stones throw of where I live, so it has me looking forward to trying out the fishing opportunities in the area. Not really familiar with the lakes and fish species, but reading this thread has helped me out a great deal and I want to thank those who have posted information. Great reading !!!! Hoping to get out and give Loughborough, Draper, Cronk, and Upper Rock to name a few in the next few days, just want to scout the access to the lakes a bit before I venture out. I guess it's time to go on a little sightseeing trip....Anyways, wherever I go I'll be sure to post with results and/or pics of my adventures/misadventures.
Good Fishing To All

OVFisherman

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:50 AM »
OV - welcome to the site and the area!  You'd be hard-pressed to find a better city for quick access to so many lakes!

Good luck out there, stay dry!
Tight lines

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #215 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:41 AM »
not exactly sure where there is public access...I walked out from a private cottage laneway  off long lake road (they are protective of thier "private" laneways out there).

There's good public access/parking/walk out for long lake though...right along long lake road.

I know there is a public boat launch with parking on Eagle - but I'm not sure how to get there.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull - anyone else know how to get to the boat ramp?

Had a long day of skunking on Saturaday though...might want to try another lake

Thanks TheDL!
I do know Long lake, fished it few times in the past but with limited results. Someone told me there is a boat launch on Eagle from Oconto road (or something like that) but I cannot seem to find it.

Was I the only 'die-hard' out there today. This morning was bloody cold! -35 in my neck of the woods. I think this was the coldest morning I have ever ice-fished. Had to clean ice of the line every 30 sec.
Lake was good to me this morning, 4 landed (3-7 lbs), 2 lost and several came up but did not hit. Slush is still there, what a nuisance to be walking in knee-deep snow and ankle deep water/slush in that kind of low temp. Only 3 inches of ice in 68 fow.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 AM »
right on!  the fish go to the determined, which is you in weather like that!  which lake were you on?
Tight lines

Offline bassassasin14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Any one have any tips on catching the BIG pike? i have no problem catching the smaller ones but id like to get a trophy pike. Thanks

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #218 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:02 PM »
big bait, big fish
Tight lines

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:19 PM »
right on!  the fish go to the determined, which is you in weather like that!  which lake were you on?

Thanks TheDL
I was on the the big "L" and I was alone!!

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Any one have any tips on catching the BIG pike? i have no problem catching the smaller ones but id like to get a trophy pike. Thanks

I would concentrate on lakes that have reputation for big fish. My biggest fish usually came from a 'quick' drop-of areas leading to a large spawning bays. You cannot go wrong with a large sucker (10") - this is what my biggest hard water pike (38") went for.
Good luck.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Thanks TheDL
I was on the the big "L" and I was alone!!

i gotta get out there and try the "L" - what kind of lure are you using for the trout?  I've never been trout fishing
Tight lines

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Was out on Little Collins on Friday and endured two blizzards. Was awesome to be out in the thick of Mother Nature like that. Caught a 4lb pike and a 3lb Large Mouth. All on a tip-up w/ a walleye rig and whatever small minnows they sell at CT on Gardiners. Best CT I've seen for fisherman. The ice was a solid 8-12 inches w/ no sign of anyone for 6 hours.

Saturday we hit Dog Lake. Caught another pike, bass, perch and what I think was a standard sunfish. Two groups parked over what I would assume they know as prime structure, did very well.
We always come in from Hitchcock Dr. Great parking and not far to walk. The ice was thick and hard, but there must be some odd currents judging by the hidden slush that occurs in areas. More gutsy fisherman were driving in until they bogged out, then dropped lines there.

Been tired of losing pike to line that's not up to the task. I hate wire leaders, so I went from a 15lb Flouro to a 25lb. Seems to work, but I wonder how many bites never happened due to thick line.

You folks are lucky to live in such a rich area for outdoor lovers.
Looking forward to my next trip.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:37 PM »
i gotta get out there and try the "L" - what kind of lure are you using for the trout?  I've never been trout fishing

TheDL,
Most spoons will work well, you cannot go wrong with slim shaped lures (like Krockodiles or crippled herring) with prism. I like dressing it with something meaty. This works for aggresive fish. For those 'looker's - not takers" you cannot go wrong with realistic looking jig head and a nice minnow 3-7" (just rig it with small stinger and a quality treble). Some days you have to scale down and the castmasters are really good for that.

There are so many good lures they will hit: airplane jigs, rapalas, tubes (pearl/white/chartreuse/pink etc), cleo's, silve buddies -  the list goes on. If you're seeing fish looking at your bait - try to move it up as if it is trying to get away. At times dropping it to bottom triggers them too. Experiment with actions and lures until you find the right combination.

While fishing work entire water column. At times the most active fish will be in the top 1/3 of the depth (say if you're in 75fow - active fish may be as shallow as 20-25fow).
I've had days when fish would sit right on the bottom and were only interested in lure that was dropped right from the surface. I could dangle it in front of their faces at the bottom and they would not touch it but would dart 30-50 feet straight up to 'intercept' falling lure.

Some hooks that come with common spoons are not very good. I usualy replace them with good quality wide gaps (Gammis or owners are good choice) and I'll often go size larger. This can make a big difference!

Laker's are my favorite fish to catch through the ice. There is nothing like watching that line 'rocket' towards your falling bait - travel 50 feet of depth and hammer your offering. Things happen very fast (most of the time).

It is a pain in behind but I like to keep record of what worked (or not worked) on given day. Also,  conditions (temps, wind, pressure, lunar faze etc.).

Don't be afraid to experiment and move around.
Have fun catching mackinaws!
Kris.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:09 PM »
thanks farmerk!

this is why i love this site so much - great tips! ;D
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I am taking my 5 year old brother out fishing and thought we could hit up rock lake in Verona for some crappie and perch.  That way we could jig without him having to hook any minnows (he's kind of squeemish).  I have only fished there in the summer and spend most of my time cruising around the shoal on the north side.  Any tips for winter fishing there?

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #226 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Never been therte but iknow its good splake fishin  but i know lots of good lakes

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Do u have all the gear u need if not io have extra

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #228 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Just caught a 1.3 pound perch at Frenchman's Bay. A personal record. Thought I had a bass on the line.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:24 PM »
oh yeah, I got everything I need, I just usually fish other lakes in the winter.  I don't think he's going to be down with me swiss cheesing to find the crappie, so I thought I would look for perch in the middle somewhere...any body fish this lake in the winter?  any better lakes for perch or crappie you know of?

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Oh i thought u meant upper rock lake sorry i dont even fish perch or crappie really maily trout pike

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:56 AM »
haha, same here actually.  I usually fish dog, collins, frontenac park, upper rock, draper loborough etc.  But I like the taste of perch, and they are something he might enjoy fishing for...

Offline Burnseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:30 AM »
haha, same here actually.  I usually fish dog, collins, frontenac park, upper rock, draper loborough etc.  But I like the taste of perch, and they are something he might enjoy fishing for...

Hi 9am53! have you been on draper lake yet? was wondering about access and ice conditions? any info at all would be great thanks?

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Haven't been yet this year, so no idea on the ice.  I usually park on the road, and just walk on...

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:07 PM »
I am taking my 5 year old brother out fishing and thought we could hit up rock lake in Verona for some crappie and perch.  That way we could jig without him having to hook any minnows (he's kind of squeamish).  I have only fished there in the summer and spend most of my time cruising around the shoal on the north side.  Any tips for winter fishing there?

Well 9am53 you could not find a better lake than Verona to keep the young fisherman engaged and enthused. The crappie started biting last week in the southern bay and within 60 feet the winter school of perch hang out until about the end of February. All the perch are biting either right on bottom or within 18 inches of the bottom.  As well the most of the pike so far this winter have been taken within 2 feet of the bottom. The crappies have been moving in a large school in the southern bay (I have recorded them on my aqua-vu camera). The best time for the bite on Verona has been between 8am and noon and then again from 3pm until 6pm. A few walleye have shown up in the southern bay but usually closer to 5pm. Like i said Verona is a great place to take your son fishing and the ice is now over 14" thick.

Good luck - I am heading there again tomorrow and Sunday!

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:22 PM »
:tipup: @) :tipup:

Jiffy Ice Augers

Just wanted to take a moment to share some info. I am often asked what fuel:oil mix I use in my Jiffy Model 31. In the manual for many of the Jiffys it says to use a 40:1 mixture but the label on the engine says 24:1. For the right answer you have to know which Tecumseh engine you have on the auger. A lot of the Jiffy augers (model 30 series, Stealth, etc) use a TV085AX (also coded AV520) engine. When this engine is used for an ice auger the proper mixture for consistent use is 40:1 which is 3.2 oz of 2-cycle oil to 1 gallon of gas or 100ml of oil to 4 litres of gas. The 24:1 mix is only used when this engine is used for all other purposes other than an ice auger.

Hope this info is useful to Jiffy users.

Well I spent most of the day tuning my 4 friends' ice augers. It seems their augers were working well at the beginning of the season but are now either stalling out after starting up or will not start properly at all. With the change in temperatures it is time to make some adjustments to the idle and main jet screws and to add a little fuel stabilizer to the fuel tanks. Now their augers are running perfectly again and they do not have to stay at home to do their "honey do lists". Hahaha!  Remember, the change in temperatures does require some minor adjusting to those 2-stroke engines.

Keep punching those holes and dropping those lines!

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I'll see you there Sunday morning!  I'll be the big guy with the red beard, with a shorter guy and little young kid likely running around.

I'm Adam btw ;)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Cya on Sunday Adam.  I will be the big guy in camo!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #238 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:34 PM »

What lakes in frontenac do you fish?  I have good sucess in the soft water season on a number of the lakes, especially S otter for Pike, but have never tried it in the winter.
@jzuliniak

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I usually go to Moulton lake, park at the kingford damn and you can walk over devil lake and follow the trails.  Lately there have been more people going there as it is only a half hours walk to get there.  It is great there in may...We also like to go to Tetsmine, we access it off highway 10, it is a 1 hour walk through the woods, but nobody goes there, and we pulled up a 3 pound speck there 2 years ago...I also like canoe lake in the summer, but it is not technically in the park...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.