Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226551 times)

Offline MajorBasshole

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #1020 on: Mar 12, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Hey all. Missed most of the winter but hoping to get out this week with the kids. Any suggestions where I can find some action for the kids and SAFE ice?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1021 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Okay Back Lakes Anglers and fans, time to get out for some of that great tasting crappie action. A few lakes reporting some crappie action. Verona Lake is producing some in the 10" range right now with a few bigger ones hiding in the mix. A few crappies in the south end of Howes Lake and some as well in the Rideau in a few spots. Ice is still good but some ice around the shore line can be a little thin.

Tight lines to all!

Don

(a.k.a. leviathan_slayer)
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline Preettiwana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1022 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Hi folks any ice conditions update of beveridge locks lower Rideau lake, Davis locks. We will try this weekend few lakes for crappie fishing. Any help for more fishable lakes will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1023 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:06 AM »
Upper Rideau/Sand lake are still in decent shape. Shores are getting a little rough anywhere there's mud or any sort of runoff. But once you get past that they are still decent. Wait and see what the next few days brings with all the heat and the rain as well.

Offline Kingston_dunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1024 on: Dec 07, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Don,
I did get out to Verona last year but didn't have great luck.  Will be back again this year when ice is safe.  Going to try for some lake trout this winter.  It will be awhile until those lakes freeze safe so Crappie fishing in the meantime.  Maybe I will see you out at Verona one of these days.

Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1025 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Good day Andrew,

Hope to see you this winter. Looking forward to the hardening of the lakes to get back out ice fishing. Fishing conditions should be good this year as the water levels during the summer made regular fishing a little harder which means that fishing pressure was less which means more fish for the winter! Woohoo!!

Ciao for now!

Don
A.k.a. Leviathan_Slayer

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1026 on: Dec 09, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Normally hit Lough for lakers but this year I want to explore for Crappie, suggestions for early Ice Lakes? Not for today but in the future say maybe Christmas/New Years if the ice gods permit.
Have a good and safe season everyone.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1027 on: Dec 10, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Fry Flier,

Verona Lake is usually an early freeze up lake and good for crappies. Look for them at the south end of the lake where they tend to school during the winter. There is also a healthy school fo crappies that hang out on the east side of the lake near metal wall by the house on the point. You will find bluegills are plentiful in this lake.

Good luck and tight lines (when it is a to do so!)

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer

Offline kevinwh4858

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1028 on: Dec 21, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Hey There
Anyone been fishing near Bobs lake or Sharbot. How is the ice?

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1029 on: Dec 21, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I’m near Westport and I think ice is still sketchy. Mild temperatures on the way as well. Too early to venture out I think.

Offline blaster999

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1030 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:18 PM »
I know there's been talk of Verona Lake for Ice fishing. The problem is it's such a small lake and it's just overfished.! This small area at the south end of the lake is fished 7 days a week by the locals in Verona. It's hard to catch anything anymore. I'd try some lakes that were a little more off the beaten path.
Good luck everyone!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1031 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:06 PM »
There are no shortage of fish in Verona. It is all about how you target them. The underwater camera shows there are plenty of fish for winter fishing!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1032 on: Jan 28, 2020, 02:10 PM »
It is probably time to get some ice reports for the back lakes and share those who follow this thread.

Right now Verona Lake has about 11 inches of ice. The shore ice has been off and on during the last week or two but should be firmed up again for this weekend.

If you have any ice reports for any other lakes please add them!

Thanks and tight lines!

Offline Jackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 03, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Lots of good ice on Upper Rock as of last Friday. I was able to catch several keeper sized spake in the morning.

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 03, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Hey Jackster, did you walk out from the boat launch or a privet place? Never fished it in the winter and curious where to go as I don't usually fish splake.. Nice pike in there too.... I live about 10 min away.. Thanks. You can reach me at [email protected] if you like
Tim

Offline Jackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1035 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Hey there Tylercurt. I walk on from the boat ramp. I would try straight across from the ramp near the high white rock face or further down near the only cottage on the far side. Good luck.

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1036 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a go next week.
Tim

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1037 on: Feb 06, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Remember you can post pics in this forum a lot easier than a few years ago. So if you are catching any fish while out on the ice feel free to post a pic or two of your trophy!

Tight lines and be safe out there!

Don

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1038 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:11 AM »

Hey all, first check in of the year, I would consider the season a little slower than years past but still putting fish topside. Been using alot of the lakes in the north of kingston area and for the conditions we have had I have found better ice than I was expecting. Good luck everyone!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1039 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Hey IceJunkie33, great stuff. Good pics and well done. Any info you have about any of the back lakes feel free to post it. There are a lot of people that stop by this forum page for advice.  Thanks again and enjoy your time on the ice!

Don

Offline medeiros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1040 on: Feb 09, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Fished Verona yesterday from 2 till 6. The boys caught a dozen small perch but the surprise came at 30 min after sundown with a beautiful full moon in the background. What I thought hit my tungsten jig tail hooked minnow that sat in the hole for 3 hours was a small pike. To my surprise I landed a 2 lb. Wally. Clean fish and the boys were excited to get it on the stove. Big thanks to the gentleman in the ice shack that came over immediately to punch some holes for us when he saw me pull out my hand auger. Probably saved a year on my life. Lol. Ice conditions: at least 11 with vehicles on the ice.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1041 on: Feb 09, 2020, 09:50 PM »
Great work Medeiros!

Offline EYOYO

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1042 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Hey IceJunkie33, great stuff. Good pics and well done. Any info you have about any of the back lakes feel free to post it. There are a lot of people that stop by this forum page for advice.  Thanks again and enjoy your time on the ice!

Don

Awesome photo! Very clear!
EYOYO underwater fishing camera maker!

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1043 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:01 PM »
Planning to bring the family out to Verona on Sunday along with some newbie friends. Any tips on area and depth to get the kids into some perch or crappie?  Hope to see Don out there again.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1044 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:13 PM »
I will be out there this Sunday! Stick to the south end for the Perch and Crappie in about the 10 to 12 foot depth. They are hugging the bottom. A good tactic is to drop a lure to the bottom and bounce it a couple of times. the small dirt clouds it creates draws them in quickly as they think another fish is eating. Have a great week and see you on Sunday.

Tight lines and be safe out there!

Don

Offline Kingston_dunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1045 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Have gotten out a few times this year.

Went to Verona and caught some Pike and Perch but no crappie.  Thanks for tips Don.  Hope retirement is going well.

Fished Moira with some friends just after that bad rain we had.  Caught my first walleye through the ice.  Best part of weekend was seeing a very nice musky swim in and check out my bait on the camera.  Very very cool.

Hit a local lake to try for a splake for the first time.  Never targeted them before and got a nice one the first day.  So that was awesome.

How do I attach a picture?

Have a week off work next week so maybe have some more to share next week. 

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1046 on: Feb 27, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Hey, wondering if anyone fishes Sydenham Lake?  Anywhere I can access the main lake on foot?  Any walleye caught in the winter?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1047 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Preettiwana,

Here are the maps I promised you.

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1048 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Hey Kingston_dunk,

Glad to hear you have been having some success. If you are looking for other places to catch splake check out Upper Rock Lake off of Opinicon Road or Dog Lake near Battersea. There are some decent sized splake in both these lakes with easy public access.

As for attaching pictures if you look right below the box where you type text is a link to “Add image to post”. Just click on it and you can add pics.

Stay in touch! Tight lines and be safe out there!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1049 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Hey Caygeon,

Here is a map for Sydenham Lake showing where to access the lake on foot and a good area for fishing.

Stay safe out there and tight lines!

Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.