Author Topic: Refilled the 1# tanks today.  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Refilled the 1# tanks today.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:08 PM »
My buddy swore by the flame king until his shanty and gear went up in flames while he was at a tip-up. Someone was looking out for him and he swore the flame kings were safe ....NOT

Unfortunately, no matter how many times people see things like this, they're not gonna quit filling their own. Why? Because their IQ tells them "this will never happen to me" or "they must not have been doing it right".  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Love my 5#. Going on 4th season with no issues using a tank top heater. Never go back to those 1# PIA's.

Actually I find the 1 lb. very convenient.........for torch, small Buddy, Big Buddy, barbecue, single burner stove. Also use the small heater in the hunting blinds sometimes. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:54 PM »
Unfortunately, no matter how many times people see things like this, they're not gonna quit filling their own. Why? Because their IQ tells them "this will never happen to me" or "they must not have been doing it right".  ::)

There are things called accidents. I know of a number of ice shacks that Have burn down using standard LP tanks. I even know of a few houses that exploded due to gas leaks. People who burned up garages using grills, heaters, etc.

Its dangerous using a 5# tank also, hoses leak, connections leak, nothing is 100% safe. Is it a bit safer then 1# tanks.....maybe a bit.....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Things happen. Comparing apples and oranges by treating certified refillables like green bombs isn't helping anyone be safer. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:12 PM »
I like my 11 lb tank.
It's easy to get refilled at my local U-Haul.
If I bring a couple other tanks and get over the 11 gallon Mark I get a price break if I get over 21 gallons I get an even better price break.
And my local U-Haul will refill any amount no minimums so it is possible for me to get my 11 pounder filled whenever I need to.
But early in the season it is nice to pack a little bit lighter for the hike out and in that situation I use my flame King refillable 1 pounders.
Some of my buddies have cold issues due to diabetes etc so when they're with me it's a little warmer in the shack, but by myself I really don't go through a ton of propane in a day.
The little green bombs are not meant to be refilled and you can't compare them to something like a car tire that is meant to be refilled.
Another aspect is if you're filling the little green bombs you are not legal to transport them.
That's not to say that someone is out there stopping vehicles and checking for refilled 1lb propane tanks.
But, let's say for example someone gets hurt from one of your home filled 1lb tanks I imagine a lawyer would have a hay day with that.
Whether it happens to be a car wreck on your way to the lake or your buddies kid getting burned in your ice shanty.
Especially since you posted a picture of a milk crate full of home filled 1 lb green tanks on a major fishing forum and admitted to refilling them.
To protect the threads on my refillables I purchased some brass caps to fit them off of Amazon.
They were relatively inexpensive, or at least they were a couple years ago when I bought them.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:38 PM »
Who is refilling green bombs?

I refilled the 6 flame king 1# tanks I have. The 3 green bombs were leftovers from trips camping/fishing running a grill. Look at the picture.

The black caps were gone so I put some 3d printed caps on them with a touch of oil on the threads so they don't rust or get banged up when transporting in the sled. All my 1# tanks get stored in a milk crate on my front porch which is open, and I use them on my Weber grill. I typically use the refillable 1#  and refill them before I get to the green bombs. once I use a green bomb I toss it. In other words the reason I capped and put oil on the green bomb threads is because I don't plan to use them, unless I can't keep up with refilling my 1# refillable tanks.

I've also got a bunch of brass caps for 1# tanks.....they work to, but the 3d printed caps when Ice fishing are nice. The plastic floats and if I lose one it cost me a nickle.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:58 PM »

I refilled the 6 flame king 1# tanks I have. The 3 green bombs were leftovers from trips camping/fishing running a grill. Look at the picture.

The black caps were gone so I put some 3d printed caps on them with a touch of oil on the threads so they don't rust or get banged up when transporting in the sled. All my 1# tanks get stored in a milk crate on my front porch which is open, and I use them on my Weber grill. I typically use the refillable 1#  and refill them before I get to the green bombs. once I use a green bomb I toss it. In other words the reason I capped and put oil on the green bomb threads is because I don't plan to use them, unless I can't keep up with refilling my 1# refillable tanks.

I've also got a bunch of brass caps for 1# tanks.....they work to, but the 3d printed caps when Ice fishing are nice. The plastic floats and if I lose one it cost me a nickle.

:thumbsup: caps had me thinking you had refilled some bombs.

Here's another link in case there's still some looking for tanks.

https://www.scheels.com/p/flame-king-1-lb-refillable-cylinder/89900300032.html?cgid=all#start=1

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:59 PM »

Maybe you should look back on past threads?
You know the ones in several previous years where you've openly admitted many times how you refill green bombs!
Even posting pictures and instructions on how to modify the flame King refiller so you can refill the green bombs!
Took me less than a minute to find those old threads.
But I'm sure you're going to say you no longer fill the green bombs! 😆 😂 😆
I certainly don't believe you and I don't think a jury would either.
But in all seriousness my point is this: refilling the green bombs could be dangerous. Though the odds are slim It could also get you in trouble and a person probably shouldn't admit to doing it on the internet just in case.

BTW I just purchased two more flame King refillables from Scheels and they were $20 each and $8 to ship them to me here in Alaska!
I have five of them. Four for ice fishing and one for the Jig Making workshop.
But I was thinking a couple more would come in handy.

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2022, 11:22 PM »
Yeah, I did refill green bombs in the past BEFORE I had 6 of the refillable tanks. The refillable one refill so much easier and quicker....

On another note......no I do not care what you say or think. No I'm not going to argue with you over childish things.....once again you look to cause/push an issue so you can argue. please find some help, you need it. If you are going to try and find something to argue about in every thread I post in...let me know....I'll just block you and save us both time, however....I'm sure you'll find something about that to argue about.....

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:48 AM »
The issues I have with my 5# and 11# is more than likely due to my local area. The local coop oil would top them off for me a few years ago.

The ace hardware in spirit lake will fill them. I have an 11# and every ACE in SD/IA/MN area has never turned me down or had a problem filling mine.

If you dont want your 5# and 11# I am close to you and will take them off your hands.

BTW I have 4 flame king 1#'ers and they work great for me also with no issues.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:31 PM »
There are things called accidents. I know of a number of ice shacks that Have burn down using standard LP tanks. I even know of a few houses that exploded due to gas leaks. People who burned up garages using grills, heaters, etc.

Its dangerous using a 5# tank also, hoses leak, connections leak, nothing is 100% safe. Is it a bit safer then 1# tanks.....maybe a bit.....
Some things are just not worth your life. Every year at the beginning I check my hose for leaks, my grill for leaks and my heater for leaks and then Im set. My buddy got a big fine for refilling green bombs and this caused the fire. He should have told EPA they were new but he was being honest.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:36 PM »
There are so many accidents with Flame King that there are law suhttps://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e3861a638fc4b355JmltdHM9MTY3MDE5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0yZTZkNTc0Ny1lN2E2LTZhOGYtMWEyNy00NzgyZTYyOTZiMmMmaW5zaWQ9NTIzOQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2e6d5747-e7a6-6a8f-1a27-4782e6296b2c&psq=flame+king+accidents&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2xhc3NhY3Rpb25sYXdzdWl0aGVscC5jb20vZmxhbWUta2luZy1wcm9wYW5lLXRhbmstY2xhc3MtYWN0aW9uLWxhd3N1aXQv&ntb=1it sites out there just for that!!!!!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:01 PM »
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e3861a638fc4b355JmltdHM9MTY3MDE5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0yZTZkNTc0Ny1lN2E2LTZhOGYtMWEyNy00NzgyZTYyOTZiMmMmaW5zaWQ9NTIzOQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2e6d5747-e7a6-6a8f-1a27-4782e6296b2c&psq=flame+king+accidents&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2xhc3NhY3Rpb25sYXdzdWl0aGVscC5jb20vZmxhbWUta2luZy1wcm9wYW5lLXRhbmstY2xhc3MtYWN0aW9uLWxhd3N1aXQv&ntb=1

from your link: 
this recall affects Hog 100-pound Flame King Propane Cylinders,

The cylinders are white and have built-in wheels, and can be identified by serial numbers 000001 through 002800. UPC 850015730016 and SKU YSN100HOG are printed on the box.

Dont think anybody here is running around with a portable ice shack and a 100lb propane tank on wheels

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:58 PM »
Really like the 1# flame king refill system. I had used the adapter to fill Coleman cylinders off and on for 15 years but it always made me nervous. Bought the kit last year before I realized the 1lb cylinders were nowhere to be found. Found some at a scheels in late summer for $17 glad I did cause I haven’t seen them anywhere since. I run three tanks might grab a couple more when I find them again. Only downside to running three is that you have to refill a couple to make sure you have enough for the second day. I have to take the stand and valve with on weekend trips. Couple more tanks might eliminate the need for that.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2022, 05:59 PM »
The ace hardware in spirit lake will fill them. I have an 11# and every ACE in SD/IA/MN area has never turned me down or had a problem filling mine.

If you dont want your 5# and 11# I am close to you and will take them off your hands.

BTW I have 4 flame king 1#'ers and they work great for me also with no issues.

That would work if I refilled in Spirit Lake. It’s an hour away.

I still use my 5# and 11# for the Turkey fryer, fish fryer, and fire pit.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:29 PM »
That would work if I refilled in Spirit Lake. It’s an hour away.

Plenty of other ace locations in your area. You obviously fish triboji frequently. I think your making it more of an issue to get your smaller tanks filled than it is.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2022, 08:38 PM »
Plenty of other ace locations in your area. You obviously fish triboji frequently. I think your making it more of an issue to get your smaller tanks filled than it is.

I fished triboji and the lakes a bunch during covid. Other then that maybe 1-2 times a winter.

I'm sure if I want to screw around and drive 20min or more for a location to only charge me a top off refill on a small tank I could find one.....but its pointless to do when I figure my time and gas to do it, that's the point on why the 1# refillables are more convenient, and cost effective in my case. Glad the 5# and 10# work for u.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.