New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Putmam pond  (Read 3105 times)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Putmam pond
« on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:04 AM »
I am thinking about going to Putnam pond this year. Dose anyone have any tips or info on the lake?

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Putmam pond
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:07 AM »
fished it once in the summer....had the kids with me and couldn't have fished more than an 1/2 hour..didn't catch anything ???
What are you targeting?

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:40 AM »
fished it once in the summer....had the kids with me and couldn't have fished more than an 1/2 hour..didn't catch anything ???
What are you targeting?

I heard there are some nice muskie in there.

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:04 PM »
They have stocked it with Tigers but with any Tiger lake, it's probably hit or miss.

I have fished there with the family in the summer and it does have some decent numbers of panfish in it, albeit they were smallish.

If I were to travel all the way up there I'd head right down the hill to Ticonderoga and fish Champlain for decent pike action. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:09 PM »
This is the Putnam pond near Champlain I take it? I've heard there are some huge walleye in there 10+ pounders
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:32 PM »
wow i would never think that there was walleye in there. i have never heard of anyone cathing them out of there. Then again i have never fished it just friends telling me about it.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2006, 03:46 PM »
wow i would never think that there was walleye in there. i have never heard of anyone cathing them out of there. Then again i have never fished it just friends telling me about it.
what are they telling you ??? i thought Putnam was mainly a bass pond and more productive during the summer :-\
good luck

Offline perchfisher23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I have never herd of walleye in there.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2006, 04:31 PM »
I have never herd of walleye in there.

thats what i thought. i thought there was just tigers and pan fish.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Putnam does have tigers, largemouths and tons of pannies...but never caught or heard of eyes in there  ??? ???Fished it once through the ice in a blizzard had one flag all day.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:21 PM »
was considering trying it this winter. have never ever heard of walleye in there and haven't seen it on any old stocking lists. while paddling to the grizzle ocean trail in the summer and fall i've had fish that i am very confident were much too big to be bass make a crashing rise not far away while in the weeds. very impressive. :o have never gotten any real big pannies but i think you might find some nice ones.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:22 AM »
in the NY Fishing Map Guide book it said Putnam was stocked with tigers in 97 -2002. and muskellunge in 03. it also says that the lake is dominated by big tigers. i think I'm definitely giving it a shot this winter.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:31 AM »
Putnam does have tigers, largemouths and tons of pannies...but never caught or heard of eyes in there  ??? ???Fished it once through the ice in a blizzard had one flag all day.

were about would u fish for the tigers?

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:47 AM »
were about would u fish for the tigers?

The NY State Encon site has a contour map of Putnam

Here's the URL
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/lakemaps/lakemapsesse.html

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2006, 11:34 AM »
The NY State Encon site has a contour map of Putnam

Here's the URL
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/lakemaps/lakemapsesse.html

Thanks that helps

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2006, 05:45 PM »
has anyone ever fished crane pond?

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Are you talking about the crane pond near the top of crane mountain in the southern adk's.  :o
If you are you must be a dedicated ice fisherman. I have hiked that mountain in the summer. That initial ascent is quite steep and dare I say a lung buster. You must be looking for a a real adventure 8)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2006, 09:06 PM »
Are you talking about the crane pond near the top of crane mountain in the southern adk's.  :o
If you are you must be a dedicated ice fisherman. I have hiked that mountain in the summer. That initial ascent is quite steep and dare I say a lung buster. You must be looking for a a real adventure 8)

thats crane mt. pond, it's closed to fishing in the winter.

crane pond is near putnam in the pharo lakes area. you can ice fish it. but no minnows, dead or alive. caught a lot of small lakers there this summer but heard a rumor that someone took a 12 lb.er. there are rainbow in there too.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:24 AM »
no minnows.
scratch that plan.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:26 AM »
thats crane mt. pond, it's closed to fishing in the winter.

crane pond is near putnam in the pharo lakes area. you can ice fish it. but no minnows, dead or alive. caught a lot of small lakers there this summer but heard a rumor that someone took a 12 lb.er. there are rainbow in there too.
Thanks for the clarification. Crane Mt Pond is quite the hike. That is a pretty aggressive initial ascent. I was really beginning to question perchking's sanity ;D

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Crane Mt Pond is quite the hike. That is a pretty aggressive initial ascent. I was really beginning to question perchking's sanity ;D

it's not that bad, try it carrying a boat.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I'm also thinking about going to Abanakee lake in Hamilton county any tips.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2006, 05:53 PM »
I'm also thinking about going to Abanakee lake in Hamilton county any tips.

i only got out on abanakee once last winter. went since i remembered getting lots of perch when i was little while fishing with a friend in the summer. in my opinion it is very good perch fishing. watch out for varying ice thicknesses. search around jigging until you find them. they really weren't that hard to get. you just have to pick through the small ones.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:08 PM »
i have herd there are walleyes in there is that true.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2006, 12:55 PM »
it's not that bad, try it carrying a boat.
Are you telling me that you have carried a boat up to Crane Mt Pond :o :o You must be very physally fit :flex: :flex: or just full of sh.....  just kidding ;D Admittedly I have only hiked it once but I recall the initial ascent being quite steep in many spots. Eventually it flattens out and actually descends down to the pond. All that being said, if you did carry the boat/canoe up the mountain I hope you were reward with your limit in trout :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.