New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New law with baitfish....  (Read 2439 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
New law with baitfish....
« on: Oct 29, 2006, 08:20 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38105.0

You guys see this post about baitfish? Does this mean no more tip-ups unless you net your own bait?

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New law with baitfish....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2006, 09:50 AM »
There is another thread on this...see general chit chat...new laws on baitfish, or some such thing...
I love a flag!!!!

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2006, 10:02 AM »
yup seen it  not sure what it means though. not much noise here yet. wait and see ???
youngster

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2006, 10:06 AM »
i would not get your tipups in a tangle yet !!! there is plenty of bait raised in n.y. that does not have to be transported across any state line.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2006, 10:17 AM »
well i was just confused...i thought it meant they could no longer sell baitfish in the state. I wasn't aware they could raise and sell them in state.  :cookoo:

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2006, 10:21 AM »
dont understand the part where it says we can get 1 pint only and use ???
youngster

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2006, 02:24 PM »
if you stop tip up fishing becuse you cant buy bait, then your no icefishermen
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline jeff harvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:50 AM »
yup seen it  not sure what it means though. not much noise here yet. wait and see ???
testttin

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:06 AM »

Huh  ??????
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline jeff harvey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:13 AM »
sorry about that havin trouble on puter

dwayne

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2006, 11:08 AM »

I know a lot of guys who ice fish that don't even touch tip-ups   ::)

Anyone know what the percentage of bait fish in NY are actually raised in NY?

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2006, 11:40 AM »
virtually all niagras come from NY, fatheads come from pretty much everywhere, including NY, shiners come from mostly Arkansas along with redfins(this state however is not included in the ban), suckers can be caught here but most are from out of state.... am i missing any
its a footrace to the hole

dwayne

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2006, 12:12 PM »
This is the year I'm breaking out my tippers :tipup:  ::)  You'll see me at Toga running down some flags :o 

I'll beleive it when I see it.......   ::)       ;D

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2006, 03:02 PM »
hey guy's I've been talking to the dec on this deal and this is it

no baitfish can be transported into or out of 8 great lake's state's including ny pa mi wi mn and I can't remember the rest of them they cannot come over the border from or into canada either
that mean's that if your buckeye's come from lake erie you can no longer sell them

the state is pushing a rediculous thing saying that they would like you to only fish with baitfish in the lake's that those bait come from.

my distributor is from mass and he is only able to ship me certain bait right now

this is a federal rule put out by the usda it is not a state deal the american sportfishing assoc is fighting it not because they don't believe it's the right thing to do but because they think it will put alot of small bait shop's out
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:11 PM »
i dont blame them to many things can spread by just a little minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2006, 10:32 PM »
I couldn't agree more I would like to ask though that we all abide by whatever they come up with

this vhs thing is no joke and could really screw up a bunch of lake's if it get's out of hand

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2006, 05:21 PM »
i had a hard time getting bait lastyear. im still having a hard time understanding this rule.  i like to fish with creek chubs on tip ups for pike,  could only get bass shiners last year and had a tough time putttin big pike on the ice,  big baits=big fish. :tipup:

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2006, 05:52 PM »
What they need to do is keep foreign and american ocean run vessels from purging their holding tanks into the great lakes and canal system

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:21 PM »
talked to bait farm down by chattauqua lake this morning and he said the same thing. it doesnt look good for gettin any kinda baitfish from erie. they havent said that yet but theyre leanin that way. his phone was ringing off the hook talkin to differnt fish farms on whats goinon. he said that he knew quit a few that were goin to loose alot of money.and probably go under. 1 such person had ashipment of walleyes to ship and he cant ship alotta money down the drain unless he can get rid of in nys. lets hope they get ahold of this thing before it effects the fishing permanently. personaly i dont think they can stop it. just hope its lifecycle ain t to long 
youngster

pinche

« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Guys the ban probally wont effect the availability of bait ,, but will effect the people that are in the buisness. As of now there is not much we can do about the VHS virus. Its already in the waters the best thing to do would be to follow the laws and let it run its course.......now that being said......lets adress the real issue. Ballast water from commercial ships being brought in and dumped into our waters. As far as I know the best way to support the issue is by writing your local govt. and making noise , showing them your concearned. Demand that they inform and pass along info about what there doing to help future out breaks or "exotic species" being introduced here.

there are several topics on here but they get burried quick try searching "vhs" or check out "can I ask?"

thanks pinche

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I don’t see any problem if you use live bait from the lake you catch it from. Just don’t transport it to another lake. if you catch bait from lake Erie use it only on that lake only.

pinche

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:53 PM »
The ban is not the problem........its the effect.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:52 PM »
pinche is exactly right that is why the american sportfishing association is fighting it
the vast majority of all emeral shiner's that are sold in central ny are netted in lake erie that mean's
no lake erie buckeye's this year it's the small shop's and bait farms that will be hurt
heck I'm a Gander manager and I'm trying to figure out where my bait's going to legally come from.

as to the ballast water issue the ny state government in conjunction with several other great lake's state's are preparing to offer legislation to directly impact just this. I sit on the board of director's for the Onondaga County
federation of sportsman's club's and at our last meeting we voted to officially back these effort's. I also know at least three other county fed's that have done the same.  it is important that all you guy's start writing an call your state seneator's and assemblyperson's and let them know this is important. I will be a delegate to the state
conservation council this year also so as thing's unfold i'll keep you all posted. 

BUT PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULE'S WE DON'T NEED THIS GETTING INTO EVERY BODY OF WATER WE FISH

THANK'S

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.