New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE ERIE 2011/2012  (Read 3939 times)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: LAKE ERIE 2011/2012
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Thing about Eire that hold true summer and winter is you want that west wind. If you have the stones enough to do a ice walk out there you better pay close attention to wind directions. Anything out of Buffalo area or the East do not temp faith. South winds or off shore pretty much guarantee a ice boat ride to Canada  Or a  ride on a chopper.  A wind out of North or West holds the pack ice in place for those venturing off NY shorelines. I've been out 3Plus miles walking and had the ice blow up right behind me a few times. It makes you wonder that's for sure. Nothing is truly safe out there just need to have a good common sense about you. Like stated go with partners and preferably not a rookie either. Pay attention to what others out there are doing and if they pack up and head in its for a reason.

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:19 PM »
... lake went up "1 degree" to 40 today on the NOAA site -- (1-13-12) ...   ... 'magin that!!!

***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:29 PM »
… the Lake steadily dropped, over the last three days to 33 Deg. today 1/16/12 on the NOAA site!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:39 PM »
That's sweet now we need a few more cold days but more important is light wind with the cold temps she dropped fast I figured a couple weeks til it hit 33

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Back to 35 deg... Southtowns Walleye Meeting at the new club tomorrow.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:05 AM »
Its also ELECTION NIGHT *** GET OUT AND VOTE !  ;D

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline Eckereckman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:25 AM »
Will the winds ever die down?  Probably 6-8 ft rollers today.

Offline mcboatsret

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • U.S. Navy MasterChief Boatswain's Mate Retired
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Don't think you'll be bringing that on the big "O" this year.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:56 AM »
It's a shame but that's all she wrote boys no Erie this year on the plus side we won't have to wait for ice out to hit spring perch off sturgeon early boat season this year

Offline green thumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Hey SwampRat, a dentist friend of mine from Buffalo told me over the phone that you heard of someone from N.Y. that has a Wilcraft.  Pleased to virtually "meet" you.  Hope to get it out on Oneida Lake as soon as we get a little more ice. Will send pics if or when that happens.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/chumpkid/P1040310.jpg

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Hey Gary, Nice to meet you as well. Lake Erie is done for this year so I will have to go to Oneida. Id like to see that vehicle in action. Any recent updates on Oneida ice conditions? I just spoke to Doc, I hear they are going out on east end but not the best of conditions. Was thinking of going this weekend.

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline green thumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Hey SwampRat,  Doc has a bad case of cabin fever far as I can tell. He's hoping to come out to Oneida this week so we're watching the weather closely. It's looking better the next few nights. Lots of guys fishing east end reporting 6" ice.  If temperatures hold   as  forecast without any high winds should be good this weekend. Going to camp later this week but won't have computer so check with Doc for update.

Offline buffalobob88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Never have fished Erie & never will. Erie is a suicide mission w/winds constantly changing. Only fools go out there.

Offline RiserMiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Only a fool would speak about something he has never done and make such a blanket statement. It's probably best you stay behind that computer buffalobob.

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:35 PM »
I feel for you guys- I know how most of you on this thread live for that lake E ice fishing and it looks like this year its not meant to be.
Its a shame because to be honest I really enjoy reading of your "adventures"- That type of ice fishing is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Lets hope next year its different and you guys can crush 'em!

Offline RiserMiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:42 PM »
It definitely is a unique place to ice fish. There is something very cool about the whole experience and it's hard to explain to those that haven't experienced it. I'm bummed we couldn't get out this year. Erie is producing some trophy perch the past few years. We got some beauties in October before bow season rolled around.

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Only a fool would speak about something he has never done and make such a blanket statement. It's probably best you stay behind that computer buffalobob.

Very well said don't mo k something until u try it

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Been going out since I can remember so it don't seem that bad to me  ;D

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Never have fished Erie & never will. Erie is a suicide mission w/winds constantly changing. Only fools go out there.

Its always a few like the above who don't understand. Ice is risky at times just have to be smart, accidents happen everywhere. I'm sure we dont need to start running statistics on other activities with danger do we? 

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Its always a few like the above who don't understand. Ice is risky at times just have to be smart, accidents happen everywhere. I'm sure we dont need to start running statistics on other activities with danger do we?

exactly.   for everyone that thinks erie is dangerous, there are 100x people that think just ice fishing in general is dangerous...

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Erie is definitely a different experience .There are a few things you need to consider when fishing Erie that would not be necessary on smaller lakes, but it is still just ice fishing, which in itself is inherently dangerous. Not gonna happen this year obviously, but when it freezes next year or whenever I will get out there. It is a cool place to fish. Makes you feel real small for sure it is a huge lake.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:28 AM »
No ice this year, but last year was the best year for perch in my lifetime. Late July and August had the perch stacked up like cordwood in 65 to 70 foot of water on the East end of the lake. One day we counted 65 boats around us all fishing perch, not walleyes. Limits were every where, the sizes were with up to 13 inchers every where. This year should be just as good and the minnow situation should be better with the regulation change. These are the best days of my life.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.