New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Salmon River (Redfield) Reservoir  (Read 3941 times)

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmon River (Redfield) Reservoir
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I've fished the Reservoir quite a bit during the summer and had modest success on trout, bass, perch, crappie and other toothy critters  ::)  I've never tried through the ice, though.  I have a couple of ideas of areas I'd try but I can't seem to talk anyone into my scouting expeditions.  All my buddies want to go where they always go, assuring themselves of a better chance of catching fish.  Me, I like to explore and who knows, I may find a new honey hole.  If anyone out there fishes the reservoir during the winter and wouldn't mind a friendly partner, I'd love to join you.  If there's some adventurous soul out there that isn't afraid of getting skunked once or twice for the chance at a new spot, let me know and we can try to work together.  I want to figure this lake out!
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmon River (Redfield) Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:15 AM »
 I'd be leary of fishing the upper res... They draw it way down to accomadate for snow melt in the spring. Not sure where to start where you'd even start to fish through the ice in enough water.. Let alone the snowpack there.

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:36 AM »
I'd be leary of fishing the upper res... They draw it way down to accomadate for snow melt in the spring. Not sure where to start where you'd even start to fish through the ice in enough water.. Let alone the snowpack there.
they drain it all through the fall for the salmon run. I have never fished it but i know some old timers that have fished it in the winter they say it was good fishing if you know where the channel was and you have to remember redfield gets 15 feet of snow a year

perch@pans

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:15 AM »
I have fished the reservoir in the past . The eastern end  for the most part  small perch  but with larger bait would pic up rainbows.  Shallows for the  trout  be carefull of the channel this early . I usually hit  it later in the season its a big area and almost always was the only fisherman on there but lots of sleds.
  I have used a two wheel drive wheeler in the past there also after the snowpack has melted to refreeze into the ice pack Power augers help with this scenario ,two feet of ice can wear you out drilling all day.  Also be carefull in the shallow with your auger walked two miles to a point i fished in the summer drilled away from the point when it went through the ice went right into sand and rocks :'( 
       Look at the sled trails and gauge if you want to venture always check as you go also the water  is always flowing into a lowered reservoir and can create, slush,pressure ridges, weak spots etc.    not to mention the river aspect.  I have been told , but not witnessed , that someone drilled through there and the water was a foot below the ice .  :o

This was from 95 -2004 before they put in the launch near the dry hydrant in redfield ,Had to get there early for a parking spot with the snowmobilers.  Call Great White North in Williamstown  They used to have reports for there . I Don't know any current conditions or how far down they draw it down now. Good Luck.

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips P & P.
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.