Author Topic: [Contest WINNER] Why is ice fishin so darned addiciting?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
{CONTEST} What is it about ice fishin' that is just so darned addiciting?

We have a winner! After reading all of the entries, Cider and I both were thinking alike and had a unanimous decision that Richstick's description of an evening walleye fishing is why we are all here enjoying this sport. We could not deny that Tip-up's picture was very popular and placed with Richstick's story was a perfect match so they will both get a Team Iceshanty cap for their efforts.;D  Thanks to all that posted an entry, it sure help pass some time until we can all get out on the hardwater.  :tipup:

Quote from: Cider
I was looking for a written answer too.  I read through them all and I still like richstick's post the best.  He described to me the perfect night on the ice.  His response was so descriptive and imaginative that I actually felt like I was there answering that flag with him!  I could see every detail as he pulled that big ole walleye up onto the ice.  He captured the essence of what ice-fishing is all about.  Tip-up's picture just naturally goes with richstick's description of the flag going off.  Were it up to me, they both would get a hat...
Mike

Ever been on a frozen sheet of glass at nightfall?  Mother Nature's icy grip begins to take hold.  A scant 4 inches of new formed ice is the window that separates you from the underwater world.  The sun tucks behind the towering red pines on the horizon as you scan your tipup set, eager for the first flag of the year.  Steam rises from your coffee cup, warming your lips as you gaze intently at the rotating dial of your flasher.  The gentle hum of the sonar, and the whispering breeze are the only sounds on this crisp clear evening.  You feel it before you see it, the spindle turns, the flag arches into the air with authority.  Hardly able to contain yourself, you force your feet to take it slowly to the tipup.  The spindle turns, slowly, steadily.  Kneeling down, you contemplate the biggest mystery in all of the angling world.  Walleye?  Pike?  Even a jumbo perch or burbot is  a possibility on this rocky ledge.  Like a father with his newborn child, you remove the tipup from the hole, smoothly grasp the braided dacron line, and feel for the weight of the fish.  A quick snap - fish on!  A silent battle ensues as you ease your quarry towards the hole.  The fish makes a final run, pulling line back down into the depths.  A few seconds later, you finally catch a glimpse.  Walleye.  A good one.  Your heart is pounding, and a silent prayer goes out:  Please Lord, let me land this one, she's beautiful.  You hear your father's voice in your ear - "gently son, that's it - ease her head into the hole"  Then, she is on the ice.  A healthy specimen, nature at it's finest.  This fish must go 25,26 inches.  You ease the treble hook from her mouth, pause a second to admire the golden green, shimmering in the rapidly failing sunlight.  You slip her head into the water, and she smoothly takes flight, down back into the watery world to which she belongs.  You stare after her, feeling the momentary regret of having let that fish go, but the deeper knowledge of just how precious a resource she is quickly reasons, settling your soul. You look around, there is not another soul in sight.  The rest of the night, and the rest of the season await.  Surely, hopefully, there are many more fish to come.  

(Image removed from quote.)

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re: [Contest WINNER] Why is ice fishin so darned addiciting?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:47 PM »
awesome!  thanks alot!  I didn't think I had a chance with tipups pic out there!   A bunch of great replys too, they show just how great our sport is.   There is no wrong way to icefish :-)

thanks again!

Rich

MN_transplant

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2004, 03:43 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats Richstick. I'm jealous! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2004, 04:37 PM »
Wow. That's too cool. :thumbsup: Thanks a lot Scott.

Congrats to you Richstick, you put it down in words perfectly.

Thanks for all the kind words about my photo guys. I love that pic too.......like you guys, that's what I sit out on the frozen lake for. Can't wait to do it again.

Won't be long now!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2004, 05:01 PM »
CONGRATS GUYS!!!tipup your pic is still my pc's background!!i cant wait to see the real thing.richstick you sure seem to have a way with words buddy i get a chill just reading it again!!thanks to scott and cider for a fun competition and the chance to participate!i enjoyed reading all the replys  ;D

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Kudos too for putting her back down the hole.  I try to do that with the first fish of the day, to keep some good karma going for the rest of the outing.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2004, 09:03 PM »
Great job guys, that is an awesome story and I love that picture too, can't wait to start taking pictures this ice season, Congrats Guys.  :D

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2004, 06:46 AM »
congrats richstick and tipup....great story, and awesome pic....just the start of more great things to come on the hardwater this season....keep em coming....Grump :tipup:

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Way to go guys!!That is magazine quality stuff for sure Richstick you put into words perfectly i actually felt like i was out there and could see the fish coming up great work guys!!!!! 8) 8)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2004, 10:56 AM »
Congratulations Richstick!  Excellent story. :thumbsup:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.