Author Topic: Sally/Missy report  (Read 3343 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sally/Missy report
« on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:11 AM »
With so many guys fishing the resi's and some driving many miles i thought i would give a little advice based on what I've seen over many years of fishing the resi's. Always check the Corp of Eng site to see what the daily levels and discharge is and how much of a change has accrued from the previous day. I haven't looked today but when i do i'll be looking for present levels against winter pool level then if there was a change, lets say up two ft i know a lot of water is coming into the resi from river upstream. That always means dirty water. Then I check for discharge. If there's a large number (CFU) that tells me there will be current in a lot of the areas we all fish. Red Bridge,105 for example. Falling dirty water with current is almost never any good for fishing those locations. Today i expect the resi's to have risen and the dams would not be letting much water out yet. It's almost always a day or two later before discharge happens then I'll watch for falling trends. So here's my report for the next 7 to 10 days for those thinking of getting on the ice. Water will rise then if moisture hold off we should see some improving conditions in 10 days. I'm thinking 2 weeks out with luck. I'm also a believer that the areas mentioned needed a refresher. Those areas have been fished hard the last month or so and with no flow to move fish around it was slowing. This rain event should only help when we do get out and hopefully on top of the ice. Good luck all and watch for reports.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Re: Sally/Missy report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:20 PM »
I was there last Monday.  Seven guys under the 105 bridge fishing the open sliver of open water on the south side.  Didn't see anything caught the short time I was there.  Three guys where moving up and down the shoreline.  Both east and west was skimmed over as far as I could see.  Probably open now.   Two guys on the point at the campground.  All open water to the the damn.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:40 PM »
Hopefully we don't get alot of rain from this upcoming storm before the cold air arrives.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:14 AM »
Hopefully we don't get alot of rain from this upcoming storm before the cold air arrives.

Looks like about 1/2" on friday, but early in the week we got a 1 1/2" in one day.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:15 AM »
With so many guys fishing the resi's and some driving many miles i thought i would give a little advice based on what I've seen over many years of fishing the resi's. Always check the Corp of Eng site to see what the daily levels and discharge is and how much of a change has accrued from the previous day. I haven't looked today but when i do i'll be looking for present levels against winter pool level then if there was a change, lets say up two ft i know a lot of water is coming into the resi from river upstream. That always means dirty water. Then I check for discharge. If there's a large number (CFU) that tells me there will be current in a lot of the areas we all fish. Red Bridge,105 for example. Falling dirty water with current is almost never any good for fishing those locations. Today i expect the resi's to have risen and the dams would not be letting much water out yet. It's almost always a day or two later before discharge happens then I'll watch for falling trends. So here's my report for the next 7 to 10 days for those thinking of getting on the ice. Water will rise then if moisture hold off we should see some improving conditions in 10 days. I'm thinking 2 weeks out with luck. I'm also a believer that the areas mentioned needed a refresher. Those areas have been fished hard the last month or so and with no flow to move fish around it was slowing. This rain event should only help when we do get out and hopefully on top of the ice. Good luck all and watch for reports.

Thanks ! Good infomation . Nothing like driving 30 miles for nothing.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 12:29 PM »
Looks like about 1/2" on friday, but early in the week we got a 1 1/2" in one day.
  Let's hope so!! I seen that previous rain raised the levels about 4ft. I guess we'll have some kind of wierd shoreline ice again as usual. Long as it's not that big buckling shoreline ice like we had in the past.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:39 AM »
Ice is forming fast and is probable safe by now at usual spots. However the levels are above winter pool and discharge rates high. Water clarity will be bad and current terrible. You probable wouldn't be able to see mark under vex. Levels will be dropping fast so there will be an ice sheet on shore above water line. Not several feet but enough to make getting on a little slick when water is down. I'm guessing the conditions that I'd fish the resi's will begin sometime this coming weekend but I'll watch Corp site for details. I've know from many years that a discharge of 100CFU's is a no go for me. I also know it takes about a week to start clearing to the point I feel confident. The corp will discharge the amount that's coming in resi's to maintain the winter level. If there is not a lot coming in that likely means clearer water.105 and red bridge areas don't take long to clear. My advise is wait a few more days. Work some of your local spots.   

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:17 AM »
Just left red Bridge, not fishing just checking conditions.   Walked the shore line on marina side out to the main channel.  Spudded a couple holes about 2.5".  Shoreline ice from water dropping isn't terrible as of now.   We're really close ladies and gents!  Stay safe!  Also anyone out driving around check out how everything froze at pearson's mill boat ramp.   Looks like something you would see on erie or saginaw bay. 
Fish On'

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2024, 02:56 PM »
Ice is forming fast and is probable safe by now at usual spots. However the levels are above winter pool and discharge rates high. Water clarity will be bad and current terrible. You probable wouldn't be able to see mark under vex. Levels will be dropping fast so there will be an ice sheet on shore above water line. Not several feet but enough to make getting on a little slick when water is down. I'm guessing the conditions that I'd fish the resi's will begin sometime this coming weekend but I'll watch Corp site for details. I've know from many years that a discharge of 100CFU's is a no go for me. I also know it takes about a week to start clearing to the point I feel confident. The corp will discharge the amount that's coming in resi's to maintain the winter level. If there is not a lot coming in that likely means clearer water.105 and red bridge areas don't take long to clear. My advise is wait a few more days. Work some of your local spots.   

Thanks for the update from all us that live to far away to check things out . Hoping for the weekend but like you said fast and muddy water isn't worth the effort.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2024, 03:46 PM »
Just drove over 105.  No one currently fishing..  but they had been on.  Tracks and holes all the way across.  I had the kids with me so I didn't bother to stop and check the ice.   Anyone been out to confirm the bite or lack there of?
Fish On'

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:34 PM »
I heard it's real dirty right now.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:42 PM »

I have heard the same. Still hoping to get out Sunday.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:18 PM »
  I figured as much. Think I'll be heading up to Kosciusko county this weekend!
Fish On'

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:30 PM »
Any update on conditions at 105 ? Would like to get out this weekend and not sure if it will be worth the trip with the water conditions ( dirty and high) earlier in the week. -Thanks

Offline krh76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:56 AM »
My wife and I drove over 105 yesterday just to see what was happening. There were a few holes but no one was fishing.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:37 PM »
Anyone fishing it today? Still muddy? Was hoping to fish it tomorrow but doubt it's worth the drive.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:03 PM »
Fished Missy today on the east side of the bridge. Water is still a little dingy. Lots of lookers. We did catch some and most were dinks but after fishing most of the day we managed 10 keepers between the two of us. One keeper came on a jigging rap and the only hit on it.  Rest were on jigs and spikes. Ice was about a solid 4 to 5 inches.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:46 PM »
Fished Missy today on the east side of the bridge. Water is still a little dingy. Lots of lookers. We did catch some and most were dinks but after fishing most of the day we managed 10 keepers between the two of us. One keeper came on a jigging rap and the only hit on it.  Rest were on jigs and spikes. Ice was about a solid 4 to 5 inches.

Thanks for the report. Maybe tomorrow is the day.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:58 PM »
Maybe too much outflow still? I see it was in the 300s this morning. I think BigR is saying look for it to bee less than 100. I'll look at in the morning.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:43 PM »

Thanks for the update, Was hoping to get the grandson down to 105 tomorrow, but may not be worth the drive and the walk down for is little legs.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2024, 03:46 PM »
Any updates on Missy conditions? Thanks!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:28 AM »
Outflow on sally as of Sunday morning was 46cfu and missy 135cfus. Sally should be clearing nicely and with very little current. May be a little current on missy but not much. Both should give up fish this week. Get out before the melt changes things

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2024, 04:00 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:16 AM »
Anyone heading to 105 today?

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:43 AM »
Out flow on both resi's are up. 200cfu on sally and 350 on missy. There will be current in the usual spots.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2024, 01:36 PM »

I stopped by 105 this morning but I didn't trek down because I was by myself, no spud bar,icy rocks and that ice didn't look too good to me.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2024, 04:01 PM »
Another short season....shorter then last...shorter then last before...We're definitely in a climate cycle.  I fished 105 Sunday afternoon and the fish were spooky and running up stream.  Ice was good except under the bridge and the wood west of the bridge before the bend.  I counted 10 people at one point.  Looked around and it was my buddy and I with a guy and his kid at 4pm.  Had 5 keepers.  Let's just have open water!

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:15 PM »

I stopped by 105 this morning but I didn't trek down because I was by myself, no spud bar,icy rocks and that ice didn't look too good to me.

I drove out there this afternoon with grandson. No way I was going to risk it with the little guy. From what I've been hearing it was pretty slow over the weekend. Hoping for a complete melt and refreeze before spring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.