Author Topic: 11,000 rainbows put in Clear last fall  (Read 1095 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
11,000 rainbows put in Clear last fall
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Heard from someone on Facebook's Indiana Ice fishing that the INDNR put the in so I contacted Larry Koza biologist at Fawn River. I got this in a email:

"We did stock some RBT in Clear Lake this fall. These were surplus fish from Curtis Creek that were left over after they did their final splits for the winter carry over. In years past we used to do this on a regular basis until we started over wintering fish at Fawn River. This time there were more than FR could take and Clear was the best alternative. It was roughly 11,000 fish averaging 6.8”. These types of stocking have rarely resulted in any type of a fishery the following spring but the alternative would have been to just get rid of them.  I know people still catch trout at Clear from time to time so hopefully someone will get some use from these fish."
The Pa fish and boat commissions says smaller fish like this are better holdover fish than the larger fish that have been on pellets too long. Granted many will become bass and pike food but I'll take it!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: 11,000 rainbows put in Clear last fall
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:37 PM »
The pike will like those snacks !!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:39 PM »
JUST REMBER TO MEASURE...

isn't it 7" to keep one?  has to be caught and legal before you can sink it back down under your tip up!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:52 PM »
JUST REMBER TO MEASURE...

isn't it 7" to keep one?  has to be caught and legal before you can sink it back down under your tip up!!

Never considered keeping one that small so I really don't know.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Yeah. 7 inches. Rainbow lakes always have the biggest fattest pike. I had a small rainbow on the fly rod last year on gage and a pike hit it mid fight. I lost the pike and the rainbow had some big cuts.
That night I made some streamers in rainbow trout colors
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Yeah. 7 inches. Rainbow lakes always have the biggest fattest pike. I had a small rainbow on the fly rod last year on gage and a pike hit it mid fight. I lost the pike and the rainbow had some big cuts.
That night I made some streamers in rainbow trout colors

Ditto. State record NP came from Clear Lake that used to be regularly stocked with rainbows. Lake Gage that is stocked with rainbows has big pike. Second biggest pike I've mounted (I mounted the state record pike) came from Oliver Lake, another lake that is regularly stocked with trout. That fish was 45 inches and weighed just under 26 pounds. She was caught in the summer with no eggs. Would have weighed a few more pounds if she had been full of eggs.

Oliver also has decent size common white suckers. A good number in fact. And they suspend in the same waters as the trout and pike in the summer (yes they feed in the water column on zooplankton and aren't just bottom feeders). I spent a day gill netting with Larry Koza one summer and we gill netted a fair number that were suspended. I never would have suspected suckers weren't just bottom feeders.

Other lakes with big pike are Dallas downstream from Oliver and Snow up by Angola. Wawasee has some decent ones. And Hamilton but Im hearing there are a lot of small ones as of late.

It's not just the forage though. Allegedly once pike reach a certain size they essentially become a coldwater fish. That's why the biggest come from deeper colder lakes with good water quality. The shallower more eutrophic lakes usually don't produce really big pike. There are exceptions though.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:20 PM »
good to know.  thanks for the heads up.  maybe some decent fillets in my distant future.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Hey Taxi you finally loosed up and Let your Pike info loose! :) Thank you my friend! I am trying to take a trophy pike this year. Appreciate the awesome info. Very interesting.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I bet he didn't show you ALL his cards!  He's an encyclopedia!!! ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Hey Taxi you finally loosed up and Let your Pike info loose! :) Thank you my friend! I am trying to take a trophy pike this year. Appreciate the awesome info. Very interesting.

Didn't say which lake customer fish were caught. Many to pick from.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.