Author Topic: Reading the ice in heavy snow  (Read 858 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reading the ice in heavy snow
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:47 AM »
I guess how much is too much? Some lakes held up decently but not a foot of ice by any means. On my way to work I passed lots of ponds and could see the wet areas. I've been ice fishing before where you drill and the lake starts to fill up around the holes.
Is wet areas always a sign of thinner ice? I will def be spudding anywhere I go if I get out Monday. Just some insights from well season ice fishing members (seasoned not old...ha)
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Reading the ice in heavy snow
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Sylvan had 3-4" on it last night already.  I was in an area no one had fished and the snow really soaked up the water when I drill the new holes, stayed soft and didn't freeze while we were out there even though the holes were icing over.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Seasoned not old..... somebody is in denial... ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:02 PM »
important topic but i have no help.  it definitely adds a bunch of weight to the ice.  that extra weight would mean you need more ice thickness to hold you.  makes thinner spots that you cant see even more dangerous.  in time we could have electronics of some kind to scan ice for thickness.  maybe even real time satellite images mapping ice thickness.  until then the spud is king.  it will still be a sloppy nasty mess. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Spudding in 2-5” slush, and a foot of snow on top, good luck, spud better than nothing but does little good. The ice is for the most part spongy very hard to determine what the quality of ice is with the dull “thud” from the spud. I would only go where u knew there was ice before and not venture a new lake in these conditions !!just my opinion

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.