Author Topic: Skis on clam flip  (Read 2269 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Skis on clam flip
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Thinking about putting some skis on my  clam nanook.   To help pull easier when got snow and on gravel.   Should I use small water skis. Or downhill or cross country skis .  Any advice would be appreciated.     

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Skis on clam flip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:51 AM »
downhill skiis. build  them up with 2x4's or 2x6's. see the smitty sled thread.

Offline Hoosier Ice Pirate

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Go to a goodwill or salvation army store to get cheap skis.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:54 AM »
downhill. build a smitty.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:07 PM »
 Instead of using wood to attach skis I suggest using square aluminum tube between ski and sled. On inside place 1/8" or 1/4" x1"W flat aluminum bar stock to tighten nuts/bolts against. Aluminum more stable than wood, less maintenance and weight.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Instead of using wood to attach skis I suggest using square aluminum tube between ski and sled. On inside place 1/8" or 1/4" x1"W flat aluminum bar stock to tighten nuts/bolts against. Aluminum more stable than wood, less maintenance and weight.
but to be a true smitty you would have to be able to come up with a way for your cross beams to interlock in the aluminum instead of having to use a wingnut or what not right?

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:45 PM »
but to be a true smitty you would have to be able to come up with a way for your cross beams to interlock in the aluminum instead of having to use a wingnut or what not right?
Should use tube that has flat sides to go against skis/sled at least 1.25" wide, to narrow will decrease stability. Shouldn't need any cross beams unless getting more than a couple inches high or distance between bottom of sled and top of skis. If cross beams needed I suppose L-shaped brackets bolted in place would suffice. Countersink holes in skis. Drill thru skis, tube, bottom of sled and flat stock. Run bolt thru and tighten nut (on inside of sled) but not so much torque as to crush aluminum tube. Can fill in hole (countersink) around bolt head with epoxy to seal. Have done a sled this way with no problems and pulled super easy over snow, to easy on ice and very little drag on concrete and gravel.

Offline rp dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:58 PM »
I cut strips of lexan the width of the humps in the tub of my trap. I think 3" wide but dont remember the length. Then took a heavy duty heat gun to bend them around to form them to contour of tub. Probably 6" up the front and 3" up the back. Now when you use that stuff you have to be careful because it makes it really slippery on glare ice. I countersunk tapered head screws and fastened them with washers and lock washers. They wear like iron and have drug it all over behind my quad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.