Author Topic: crappie at night...with no minnows or green light?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
crappie at night...with no minnows or green light?
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Thinking im going to go to my honey hole pond tomorow night. Got a shanty and a lantern. Bunch of glow jigs and a few glow plastics and spikes but nowhere nearby to get minnows. Where should i start? Deepest part is maybe 10-12 ft but there are a bunch of crappie in the pond. Only a few spots have trees either in the water or overhanging and frozen into the pond. Help!?!?!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappie at night...with no minnows or green light?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Same place they'd be caught if using minnows on any other night for that particular lake. If your honey hole for Crappie is a daytime spot it may not be the night time spot, often two entirely different worlds

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Never tried it at night. And during the day youll catch some crappie but towards dusk. Just wondering if they might turn on more at night
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:34 AM »
They feed at night, they're designed for it. Difference comes in the food and/or location of it. Daytime food sources basically has a base, phytoplankton's reacting to light and has those above them feeding on and reacting to them. Once the light dies their actions back down, the higher organisms tend to drift towards (if not shut down) other things  more easily available usually in a different area. Under water light can get it started in a small area but if the Crappies are elsewhere they may not even notice, care or only drift by occasionally. Need to find where and what they're feeding on at night, be there and exploit it, light or no light. Dawn and dusk catching of any panfish is often related to the plankton turning on or off. Usually a 10-30 minute feeding binge where most any bait can catch most anything. That may be the place to start at night, but be prepared for the night feeding area to be elsewhere, nearby or a ways away

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Thinking im going to go to my honey hole pond tomorow night. Got a shanty and a lantern. Bunch of glow jigs and a few glow plastics and spikes but nowhere nearby to get minnows. Where should i start? Deepest part is maybe 10-12 ft but there are a bunch of crappie in the pond. Only a few spots have trees either in the water or overhanging and frozen into the pond. Help!?!?!
if the deepest spot is 10 -12 ft...fish just off of the deepest part...no need for minnows ...but they are another bait to have in case..but plastics and glow work good..glow your lantern on low/med...keep it in front of you to eliminate shadows in the holes...if the pond is clear...night is best...if its stained...hit it in the early morning.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.