Author Topic: The One That Got Away  (Read 1173 times)

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
The One That Got Away
« on: Aug 02, 2019, 10:37 PM »
Anyone have a piece of fishing equipment that is no longer in production or you simply can't find that is breaking your heart?  Here's my story.  I encourage everyone to share their own story and pass along leads to anyone that has a broken heart looking for their lost fishing love.

I'm 36 years old and this is the first time in my fishing life that I've had a product discontinued that is rocking my world.  The product was actually discontinued before I ever knew that I needed it so badly in my life.

Frabill Ice Hunter 38-Inch Medium Ice Fishing

These are the rods that Eric Haataja helped design with Frabill before we went his own way with Haat Rods.  I bought one by happenstance off of amazon a few year back because it met the size requirements I needed for walleye fishing and it quickly became the most reliable stick in my bag for all of my ice fishing needs.  Mine is still running strong, but I decided that I wanted to buy a few extras to run on my iFish Pro's and basically have a spare.  When I scoured the internet and came up with NOTHING I decided to do some research on this rod.  That's when I read up on the history of Eric Haataja designing these rods and how they were the precursor to his Haat-Rod Series. 

I would love to have a bag full of Haat Rods, but who can afford that without their wives performing involuntary surgery on them in their sleep?  At a $40 price point, these are the ultimate rod.  Unfortunately, they went out of production shortly after things started.  I've scoured Amazon/Ebay/Internet, but can't find any for sale.  If anyone has any leads, I would be appreciative.

I have a great childhood memory of my father having his favorite baits production be cancelled.  I'll share once we get a few more posts.

Thanks!
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The One That Got Away
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Orange, brown and brass little cleos and the first gen Fenwick elite tech's.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The One That Got Away
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Orange, brown and brass little cleos and the first gen Fenwick elite tech's.

Ran7er - I have a gen one fenwick I can sell you 28MH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.