Author Topic: Pickup bed size  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickup bed size
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Hey everyone, I have an Otter XT cabin x-over shack.  I’m looking to get a new pickup in the near future.  Looking @ the Silverado 1500 crew cab short box.  My question is will my shack fit in the 5’6” box?

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pickup bed size
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Measure your shack and you'll find out :tipup:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:38 PM »
According to the otter website it's 66" L x 36" W x 23 1/2" H when it's collapsed. Might be a tight squeeze into a 5' 6" box.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I would measure your Otter, then the pickup box just to make sure.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I love my 2012 chev crew cab 1500 but the bed is small. When I bought it I didnt relize they had shortened it so much compared to my 2001. Which I wish they hadnt. I had to sell my pelican sled I got from costco and down size to a jetsled xl as thats the biggest iI could get in there. I would definitely measure it out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:34 AM »
In all things truck, regardless of brand (chev guy myself) I would reccomend at least getting the 6' box. The short box is darn near worthless IMHO. I find myself struggling to get all I need to in even my 6' box, but at the time of purchase an 8' wasn't in my price range. Come time for trade in though and I'll probably be looking at an 8'.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:26 AM »
I hate truckcars... Got no use for extra space in the cab. Certainly no use for extra doors. AND I gotta struggle getting large loads in the box. Short boxes are just a trunk without a lid (why?).

Regular cab, 8' box, 4WD for me. I know, it doesn't fit all your lifestyles but it's all that works for me. Those kinds of trucks are getting very hard to find unless it's a stripped down work truck.

My apologies, I know it doesn't answer your question or solve your problem.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:30 PM »

The 2019 Chevy's have slightly larger "short" boxes and they list them as 69.9 inches - so a little over the length of your sled assuming that's all usable space...  https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/silverado-1500-pickup-truck/build-and-price/config

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:03 PM »
I have the XT Cabin Pro from last year, just the regular flipover style), it does fit i nthe back of the Ford 5 1/2ft box, but its tight

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:06 PM »
I hate truckcars... Got no use for extra space in the cab. Certainly no use for extra doors. AND I gotta struggle getting large loads in the box. Short boxes are just a trunk without a lid (why?).

Regular cab, 8' box, 4WD for me. I know, it doesn't fit all your lifestyles but it's all that works for me. Those kinds of trucks are getting very hard to find unless it's a stripped down work truck.

My apologies, I know it doesn't answer your question or solve your problem.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Why would anybody even bother to answer this question? If he doesn't have a measuring tape. He could look up the dimensions on the internet. I thought it was a joke when I first saw the post. Tikkaman good on you for getting others to do the work for you.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Esox, thats a really good point.....I have a big 4 door tundra but needed the cab room with the kids, etc.....now they have flown the coop, so im thinking more bed, less cab, when I trade this bad boy in.....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Esox, thats a really good point.....I have a big 4 door tundra but needed the cab room with the kids, etc.....now they have flown the coop, so im thinking more bed, less cab, when I trade this bad boy in.....

I wasn't even being particularly helpful. It's just a sign of the times in style. 8 foot beds are getting harder and harder to come by. I never buy new anymore and most of the used 8 footers are stripped down work trucks. Vinyl seats and floor, 4WD lever on the floor, manual windows and generally beat pretty good. We always had a family vehicle for taxi service so I could have my truck be a truck. Now I'm completely on my own so it's perfect!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:06 AM »
You can go for the Double Cab 1500 with a 6'6 bed
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:08 PM »
"Sign of the times"  carpet floors in a truck, who would have ever thought that would be a good idea? Pay extra for the carpet floor and pay more money for floor mats. Next step take out the floor mats and replace thêm with laser fitted WeatherTech mats to completely cover the carpet. "Sign of the times"

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Thats why I didnt get the crew cab, An adult can fit in the rear of my double cab just fine. A crew cab is really not for a guy who uses a truck for a truck. I would really like to have an 8' box but its hard to find one with rear seats, I have kids. Or buy the crew cab and invest in a trailer. My opinion is you also dont want the otter to fit in the bed tight because I wouldnt want it to be rubbing on the bed potentially causing damage to the otter.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Im not a fan of short box trucks either or 4 doors.im old school at least 6 to 8ft box, manual 4x4 shifter on the floor,crank down windows,truck topper and a reese hitch is what i buy.cant stand push button electro 4x4.its convenient but alot of chevy guys around here have problems with it sooner or later.i like a box that can fit 2 shantys in it.sucks to have all my buds having short boxes then we all have to drive separately because the gear wont fit.lol.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Currently I have a 07’ Tahoe and I have to fold the rear seats down to get the shack in it.  I’m a little picky when it comes to a truck, I like the symmetrical look of the crew cab.  I might just have to bite the bullet and get a double cab.  I have 3 kids and the ol Tahoe has 270k on it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.