Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New Flasher? Thinking of getting a second unit  (Read 2068 times)

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
New Flasher? Thinking of getting a second unit
« on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I bought a new FL12 this year and am in love with it.  It is a far cry from the Hondex fl-8 I had.  Now I am wishing I had it back cause I want to buy a second unit for hole number 2.  I was thinking of a Marcum VX-1. I think the adustable zoom would be nice.  Is this a good unit?  Does anyone think that I should get an FL-20 or a higher grade Marcum?  I want the second unit to have a zoom feature.  Besides the VX-1 is only 219.00 bucks right now.  Opinions are greatly appreciated.   Thanks all
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Flasher? Thinking of getting a second unit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:32 AM »
I have used and both, and the FL-20 is the best.  Each unit has its own fans, kinda like Ford and Dodge.  I use the zoom all the time.  Don't buy a unit without it.  Now if I could just catch some fish.....
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:46 AM »
If you are going to buy a second unit, I would stick with the Vexilar.  I have the FL-18........... When fishing with my buddies who both have the marcum I get way more interference than when I fish next to a vexilar.  Interference is almost non existent when fishing next to my friend with an FL-20.  I think the ping setting on the IR is just a little different between the marcum and vexilar causing more interference.  Another thing to consider is your cone degree of your transducer....

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:30 AM »
My FL-20 has a feature where you push the range knob and it changes frequencies to allow two units to be side by side.  I though the feature was BS until last weekend when I found it works like a charm.  Take a look at their web site www.vexilar.com.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:37 AM »
That is your IR button...... Interference rejection.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:30 AM »
i have an fl8SE and fish 2 holes, 4 feet apart with one in the middle for the vex, and have  no problem  picking up either bait on the drop after about 5 feet. If you don't have one why not pimp a nice camera instead of another flasher. never used zoom so i couldn't tell ya. but i doubt any fish that you need to zoom in off bottom  is probally not very big :D.   
Hard charger !

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:00 PM »
I have a camera, aqua view scout XL.  really like it.  I was mostly wondering if anyone had used the VX-1 Marcum.  I was thinking of buying one to have a back up, and to have the zoom feature also. 
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline GonePhishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I just recently purchased a vx-1 and love it. Fished w/ the FL-8 numerous times. Hands-down better buy & performance. Gander had the vx-1 for $199.99.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:23 AM »
The zoom feature gives you a much larger picture of the bottom.  The bottom 6 or 12 feet (you choose) is shown on the left side of the flasher.  (Mine is the FL-20) You will be amazed what you see on zoom. Find a buddy who has one and check it out.

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Which Gander?  The one here in CR has no flashers left.  Scheels in Coral Ridge only has an FL-20 Ultra, wasn't looking to spend that much.  I found a Marcum LX-5 at McBride but after the bounce out of the truck it no worky.  Sent it in and they said 300 to fix.  Think I would rather have a new VX-1 for 200. 
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline GonePhishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:56 PM »
The Gander in Aurora and Joliet, IL both had them. I have family there and was able to stop by during a visit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.