Author Topic: Another day on the Bayou...  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Mikey

• IceShanty Rookie
Another day on the Bayou...
« on: Feb 12, 2006, 04:57 AM »
Scummer and I made our way down to the Boucherville Bayou this morning after many weeks of lighting candles for the ice gods to grant us some weather that would allow us to get out and slay the shack nasties that have invaded our lives of late. So here's how our day went...

The ice was quiet today....not many people out...but the weather was awesome...spring like conditions.... Scummer started hitting football size slabs...

I left my perch rod at home...I was focused on the pike...and they didn't disappoint us..

There were deer everywhere today...they were up and active in the warm sun

Another nice pike (7.6) ....

Scummer with a pike! Note: After landing this pike, Scummer had a     hemorage from a small cut....I had a critical decision...save Scummer...or chum.....The decision was easy....CHUM! so I had him put his hand in the hole and used the blood to attract some sharks....

low and behold....

Another nice slab from the Slabking...

This one fellow showed up and ...took 3 hours to setup his clam and about 4 tip ups....he had everything you could ever wish for with him,, Clam...gas auger...stove...pots and pans...you name it...he had it....he sorta resembled a Sherpa guide hauling this stuff onto the ice...

This pike had a chunk out of his back...very strange...usually you see hem with marks on their sides....

The Sherpa built a live well and was getting his stove going when we left...we gave him a few of our pike to feed the crowd...

As mentioned earlier...the deer were everywhere....this one let me get pretty close....as she took in the sun...

On our way off the ice..we noticed something that didn't look right...when we got closer...we saw nature at work...

Coyote's had taken this deer. The tracks were everywhere...the critical blow...

This shot shows the initial hit and path of the ensuing struggle..

It's a sad sight to see but, nature takes care of itself by eliminating the week so the breed survives...another day on the Bayou came to an end...Scummer and I went home...tired...but pleased...now Scummer is hounding me on MSN after having a few too many beer to get his blood count back up......I love fishing hehehe!!  :wink:

Tight Lines,
Mikey

P.S. MANNY!!! We tried to find you dude...but you were AWOL! Dean! get your arse out of the arena for a day and come join us! The ice isn't that thick...so when spring gets here there's going to be a small window of opportunity before the ice fishing comes to an end...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Another day on the Bayou...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Nice pics and narration !

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Hey Mikey

Nice reports, looks like you guys had a good time! Saw it on FH.

ONe question you don't have to answer if you want don't want to, Where is the Bayou? Is it the Mille Iles? I understand if you want to keep your spot a secret. There aren't too many pike spots around here and I love catching em.

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline Mikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Sturgeon,
the Bayou is on the Larry. You're welcome to come up, I'd be happy to take you out with Manny & Scummer. You're not that far away. Maybe we could get the Deanster out for a day with us. Just lemme know!

Offline olegmagellan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:51 PM »
I did not know Montreal AREA WELL how can I get there exactly by car,beautiful place,i would like to see it

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:55 PM »
Great pics! Nature is beautiful and brutal at the same time...

Offline Mikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:45 PM »
oleg, you're more than welcome to join us on a weekend. I'd prefer not to publish the location on the net.

Mikey

Offline olegmagellan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:12 PM »
oleg, you're more than welcome to join us on a weekend. I'd prefer not to publish the location on the net.

Mikey
unfortunately i will work i am driver,go for long distance,now i have 2 days(just came today)maybe by e-mail or phone if you can?
Thanks a lot for invitation!!!!

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2006, 10:08 AM »
HI Mikey

If you guys head back out I would be interested to join you guys. Looks like a nice place. HOw far of a walk is it out there.

Let me know when you guys plan to head back out there.

Thanks

Sturgeon ;D

Offline Mikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:30 PM »
HI Mikey
Let me know when you guys plan to head back out there.
Thanks

Sturgeon ;D

Sturgeon, it's about a 200 to 300 yard walk to our spot because our short cut is not safe right now, so we take the long (safe) route. Scummer or I will post our next outing here (look for something for this weekend ;-) ) Would be glad to have you out with us, hopefully the toothy critters will be cooperating hehehe!!

Mikey

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Thanks Mikey

Just let me know and I will try and get out. I just got to check with the boss ;)

Sturgeon :)

Offline Scumking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:05 PM »

Mike,

I'm off to TO tomorrow for the show.If you need the auger and Minnows just give Nancy a shout as she'll be home.If you want anything at BPS give me a call on the cell in TO or call Blair :D.

Good luck if you get out.Denis hopefully I'll get out with you before the season ends. ;D 

Scummer

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Tease....... ;)
Andrew

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:58 AM »
awsome pics you got there...that livewell is a great idea...and i cant believe the deer let you get that close...

Offline Mikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Tease....... ;)
(Image removed from quote.)

TIP UP! YOU LITTLE BASSTURD*!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:21 PM »
TIP UP! YOU LITTLE BASSTURD*!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(