Author Topic: Atlantic Tommy cod  (Read 6904 times)

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Atlantic Tommy cod
« on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:52 PM »
People go Atlantic Tommy cod ice fishing since 1938 in the municipality of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade, which is considered as the tomcod Capital of the world. At that place, you can comfortably sit in a heated and lighted fishing lodge and fish for tomcod. you can experience the magic of winter tommy cod fishing with your family or friends from December 26 to February 15!

Do you know the history of the tommy cod fishing, the reasons why this kind of winter fishing is practiced over such as small period of time and why it is only practiced in winter?

The tomcod, also called Atlantic tomcod or winter cod, is part of the cod family. This small cod is a salt water fish that runs up the St. Lawrence River to the mouth of the Sainte-Anne River in Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade. These fish run up the river only during the cold season to spawn in semi frosted ice (slush). This ice is formed in the rapids located upstream our fishing places.

This is what it look under water!

and over the ice!

The season time is only about 6-7 weeks, so as soon the ice is enought thick to walk on it, they start water pumps to made it more thicky the fasted they can, to install all the village and animation on the river!

Depends of seasons, around 100k-130k fishermen go there.

I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Atlantic Tommy cod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:19 PM »
cool story and cool pics, thanx

Offline cobalt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:24 PM »
That is pretty damn interesting!!! thanks!
how do you  make four 9's equal 100

Offline BroAces

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Tommy cod is one of my favorite tasting fish. Hard to find in fish stores. Most don't even know what I'm talking about when I try to purchase. I will have to look into this.

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Hi BroAces  If never you or some of your friends or family are planning to come in Quebec but  dont have time to fish, you can buy them easily directly from the outfitter, because many poeple are going there to fish but they dont keep the fish..they just let it to the outfitter so they're alway a lot of bags to sell.   

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:46 PM »
We catch small tommycod while smelt fishing in our coastal rivers in Maine in the winter,but we have never ate them?Interesting.LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:25 PM »
It is a kind of cod, so it's very soft .. the best is wait until it is half frozen and make fillets  .. It's very delicious!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.