The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Trout  (Read 2232 times)

Offline KDW

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Trout
« on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Have never caught a Lake Trout but certainly think its about time. While indeed I love to fish, I love to eat
from the bounty of the land as well. Have heard and read that the Lake Trout make poor fare on the table.
Do you guys that target them eat them? Or are they pretty much a catch and release fish?

Ken

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I like them smoked quite a bit.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Baker laker gets my vote nothin over 5lbs.

Fillet skin side down cut 1-1.5” cubes in meat do not cut through skin. Dry rub with fav. N bake tell done not to shabby.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I prefer the smaller lakers, 15"-20" larger ones go back in the lake.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:03 AM »
All Lakers returned to the water.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I've heard they are good canned.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:01 PM »
I kept an 18" fish from Mcgregor and thought it was absolutely fantastic pan-fried.  The bigger they get the oilier they seem too get, as their diet shifts to more fish predation.  Keep the smaller ones and I bet you'll be pleased!

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:45 PM »
I agree, the smaller ones are great eating.  Baked, grilled, fried, whatever.  I think maybe they get a bad reputation from people trying to eat the great big ones.

Offline KDW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Sounds like most fishing then, eat a couple smaller ones and put the big ones back. I am a big proponent of the
canner so maybe will give that a try someday.

Ken

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Lake trout are great cooked and great smoked.  You can use any salmon recipe to cook them.  However, check out the Montana sport fish consumption guidelines, which are available at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj62InBq-fgAhXlHDQIHcabBHsQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffwp.mt.gov%2FfwpDoc.html%3Fid%3D28187&usg=AOvVaw1injDd45O-vQBizJwkktNT.  Because lake trout eat other fish and live a long time, they concentrate toxins in their flesh.  Pike do the same thing.  Therefore, you should limit the number of times a month you eat medium sized lake trout and pike, and avoid eating large lake trout and pike.

However, if a lake contains a lot of kokanee, which are oily fish, the lake trout may also be oily, and they won't taste as good as lake trout from a lake which doesn't contain kokanee.  Before kokanee disappeared from Flathead Lake, old-timers used to joke that if you tried to barbeque a lake trout, it would catch on fire.  The same is true of lake trout from lakes such as Odell Lake in Washington, where the lake trout eat a lot of kokanee.  But because there essentially aren't any kokanee in Flathead Lake any more, now the lake trout from Flathead Lake are excellent eating.

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I sincerely hope I die from eating too many big fish, as opposed to almost any other way.

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I throw em back.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:12 PM »
I sincerely hope I die from eating too many big fish, as opposed to almost any other way.

While I tend to eat perch and kokanee, both of which are on the opposite end of the the size-spectrum of fish that you seek, I agree with the sentiment you expressed.  Cheers!

Offline liprippin49ers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I keep all of my Lakers, and think they are great eating. However, I actually like fish other than tasteless walleye that taste like whatever your choice of seasoning is. Don't get me wrong I love walleye too. I mix melted butter, mayo, minced garlic and dill together and lather over fish skin side down in an oven pan and cook in the oven for 20-35 minutes. Delicious!

Offline fish?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:07 AM »
If you ever have too many tasteless walleye, please let me know.   Could probably get through them.  😁

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I fish Flathead in the summer and I think they taste good.  Even better if you smoke them. 

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Anything smoked is good....except ducks and geese. They just taste like butthole!

Offline CarpCopRetired

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:47 PM »
"... taste like butthole!"

I always wonder how it is that some people know how certain things taste…

I like smoked duck and goose...try discarding the “....hole” part and I am sure that you might like the birds…. ;D...
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, but not in your favorite fishin’ hole…

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:21 PM »
I like smoked duck and goose

x2

I love the distinct flavor of waterfowl.  Duck is simply superb, and goose breast fried in the skillet is excellent as far as I'm concerned.  All you naysayers keep naysaying...just means more flying around for me to put away in the freezer!

Offline KDW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Have been smoking, frying, canning ducks and geese for as long as I can remember. Mighty fine fare as far as far as
this guy is concerned.  You guys have got me fired up about trying the Lakers. Now I just have to go some where they
are and catch some.

Ken

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:04 PM »
As far as ducks and geese go.....You can marinate a turd for a week, and it’s still a turd!

Offline CarpCopRetired

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:29 PM »
“...You can marinate a turd for a week, and it’s still a turd!”

And how pray tell good Sir, do you know this to be true... ;)2...
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, but not in your favorite fishin’ hole…

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.