The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How much snow is too much weight on the ice ?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
How much snow is too much weight on the ice ?
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:21 PM »
   I'm just wondering if it  can get to the point of not being enough ice to hold up the weight of the snow ?  It seems like just about everywhere is getting more snow than what we're used to.

Ken........

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How much snow is too much weight on the ice ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Great question!  A google search gives ample answers regarding rooftop snow but is rather scant on ice.  I did find this particular paragraph that sheds some light on the issue.  (I'll link the article below in case you're interested.)

Snow slows the freezing process, and if enough of it falls early on, it can really put the ice season on hold. In December 2013, for example, more than 24 inches of snow blanketed less than 6 inches of ice across the northern Midwest. Because of the snow’s insulating effect, it brought ice formation to a grinding halt. To make matters worse, the weight of the snow pushed the ice below water level, creating a hazardous combination of thin ice covered by slush, capped by a thin skin of surface ice. Only after extended periods of record cold so severe they made locals pray for global warming did the slush start to solidify.

While the author didn't mention if it was light and fluffy or wet and heavy snow, he did seem to indicate that less than 6" held up to more than 2 feet of snow, but sagged under the weight as a result.  I was out on Dickey this weekend and there's at least 10" of ice underneath about 1.5 feet of snow.  There's definitely a slush layer under the snow, which makes me think it's sagging like the article mentioned.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2016/01/04/all-about-ice/

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Disclaimer: the following information is based on my own personal speculation, understanding, and insight. Take it at face value.

But I do not think there is a "too much" amount of snow on ice. A lot of factors go into the safety. I had many questions about snow on the ice but after getting responses from people combined with the research I could find on the matter, it is not black and white. A lot of snow does slow down the formation of ice due to insulation. But if there is already a solid amount of ice, snow works to insulate in the opposite direction in terms of the ice melting. Kind of like a cooler or thermos, keeps cold things cold and hot things hot. The snow acts as a buffer from the air temperature to the ice. In terms of weight, it does not seem to have a big impact on the structural safety or breaking point of the ice. The weight of the snow is evenly distributed (assuming the ice is not on a pressure ridge or sagging from a sudden decrease in water levels). With the weight being evenly distributed, it pushes the ice down into the water but does not add to risk of breaking. It will push the ice down which causes water to flow up onto the ice though. This leads to the nasty slush everyone groans about. On some of the water I ice fish, there is typically 10"-20" of white ice on top of the clear, black ice. There is usually some notable amount of water in the bottom layers of the white ice. All of the white ice is snow that has mixed with water and refreezes. I have definitely noticed that there is significantly less clear, black ice underneath areas that have a lot of white ice. So I can attest to the fact that the snow acts as an insulating barrier which prevents the formation of good solid ice.

I hope this long winded post holds some insights for you (and also hope that nothing is far from truth :) )
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:07 PM »
I used to live up in northern Ontario at the starting point of a large commercial ice road.  Ice would get 4' thick or more, I have seen a very large snow pile (size of a house) fall through the ice from its own weight, while the front-end loader working next to it was fine. 
I doubt a natural snow accumulation could ever cause something like that though...

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Causway arm will be a great place to see the effect.its pilling in there.  :tipup:
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.