Author Topic: new marcum lx9 won't power on!  (Read 4809 times)

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
new marcum lx9 won't power on!
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Got lx9 yesterday, battery is charged, and plugged in, turned on then turned it off and started making short interval beeps after being powered off so I unplugged negative terminal and plugged back in and it doesn't power on >:(! Kinda stressing. Anyone know what's going on here?  Thanks

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new marcum lx9 won't power on!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Now when I turn it on the screen flashes like it's gonna turn on but doesn't and just starts short interval beeps!  Really bumming!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Do you have a different battery you could try? Possibly a bad cell on your battery? How long did you have unit unhooked from the battery? Possibly try unhooking it for longer time? Any fuses anywhere? Try wiggling connections? Hopefully someone will reply with better ideas for you to try. Good luck!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 AM »
i agree, low voltage from the battery or bad connection from the battery.
fuse okay?

maybe a junk charger. i mean their chargers are junk, but you may have a non functional charger. one should not trust that type of charger. i had a wire fire from one and so has another member. many of us have switched to a more reliable charger. the battery tender jr, 25$

measure the volts on the battery first. it should be 12.5 to 12.7 volts. harbor freight sells a cheap meter for 6$ and they give it away with coupons mailed to your home.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Got it plugged into my battery tender jr, and red light is flashing indicating not charging. Bad battery?

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:07 PM »
My electrician buddy said to go back and try original charger, so I did and now original charger says it's charging, which is strange because the other 2 times I plugged it into original charger before trying battery tender junior it said charged sooo we'll see what happens.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the update. Do you have a multimeter to test what voltages your getting during charging and after charging?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Got it plugged into my battery tender jr, and red light is flashing indicating not charging. Bad battery?
polarity is different on the battery tender jr with the quick connect on the marcum.use the alligator clips right to the battery terminals.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Thanks for the update. Do you have a multimeter to test what voltages your getting during charging and after charging?
I do not,at the moment, I plan on purchasing one soon tho.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Just got in from the ice, thought my blind fishing days were over,not a walleye to be had. Charger still says charging (original charger).

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:12 PM »
I do wish I had a different battery to try.

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 02:04 AM »
Sorry for your problems buddy. I always whine to my wife I wanna try a marcum. But reading posts like this makes me not want one. Can you return/ exchange ?  Good luck and keep us posted

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:38 AM »
Your symptoms are exactly what I experienced with a 4 year old battery at end of life.  I got the thing to run for a few seconds and only saw 9v on the dashboard.  A new battery ($20 with shipping) solved all my problems, and for the first time in 3 years I now see a green light on the original Marcum charger after a few hours charging.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=352973.0

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:21 AM »
it's all under warranty. one year on the battery and charger and shuttle, two years on the head.

I always whine to my wife I wanna try a marcum. But reading posts like this makes me not want one.

your wife will be happy.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:43 PM »
At $1300.00 the unit should come with a good battery and charger. Why should you have to spend another $25 for a battery tender?

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:42 PM »
After 13 house of charging on original charger the light finally went to green, I didn't even try to turn it on yet as I got a long hours stressful work week coming up and don't need any more stress. It will be on hold till Friday or Saturday for sure. I will definitely keep everyone posted as soon as possible,  thanks so much for all the support!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:14 AM »
You better hope it fixs itself because you wont get any help from Marcum
Dont ask

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:10 PM »
I wouldn't wait to turn it on when I'm headed out fishing.id rather have it let me down in my house than on the ice.jmo.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
After 13 house of charging on original charger the light finally went to green, I didn't even try to turn it on yet as I got a long hours stressful work week coming up and don't need any more stress. It will be on hold till Friday or Saturday for sure. I will definitely keep everyone posted as soon as possible,  thanks so much for all the support!
turn it on. it might be a stress reliever. if not the week your waiting could be a week in the shop instead if need be.

because it took so long to take a charge, it some what confirms the battery was dead when you first turned it on.

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Hook the charger up to the battery and try turning the unit on, if it turns on then shut it off. Then disconnect the charger and try to turn it on, if it doesn't turn on you have a battery problem. Regarding the charger - sometimes it takes more than 12 hours of charging for the charger light to turn green. I would get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage before, during, and after charging, and while charging make sure the voltage does not exceed 15 volts.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I would find a way to test the battery voltage.  I bought a Showdown with a bad battery and after emailing Marcum they sent me a new one under warranty.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I finally heard back from marcum today after they told me to send my lx6 in so they could fix it and now they say its not covered under warranty.Wouldnt own another one if you gave it to me.If you can return it do it NOW!
Dont ask

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:49 PM »
I finally heard back from marcum today after they told me to send my lx6 in so they could fix it and now they say its not covered under warranty.Wouldnt own another one if you gave it to me.If you can return it do it NOW!
what was the deal with yours?

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Insulation around the ducer separated and they said it probably fried the motherboard when it happened,sounded like a common problem and they said send it in so we can fix i,so I overnighted it to them to make sure Id get it back before my derby this weekend...two trips last year one this year and its done.Then they wait three weeks to tell me they wont cover it but i can pay to have it fixed..when I went on their facebook page and saw all the horrible reviews about their warranty/customer service I knew I was in trouble.I wouldnt pay them 25 cents to fix the damn thing,wouldnt own another one if you gave it to me.
Dont ask

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:16 PM »

And there is nothing wrong with the LCD,that part was working just fine.All I wanted was a new ducer and they talked me into sending it in because they seemed so familiar with this issue.thank GOD I was waiting a few weeks before I ordered that LX9!
Dont ask

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:20 PM »
if it's under two years old then they have to fix it on their dime. so it sounds like it's under two years old because you used it twice?

you need to elevate this with them if they are saying no dice. go past mike's head.  email them with this topic at least and ask what is their problem with their warranty.

i never heard of a transducer cable insulation separate unless your saying the transducer cable is cut or pinch cut and right where the puck and cable meet. we have seen that before, but they don't get pinch cuts by on their own. it does have a soft casing for the cables to be enclosed in. i always laid my transducer on it's side for that reason because it would always try to hit the bottom of the head unit. the head unit needs to be higher up in the shuttle to stop it from being used the way they wanted it to be used.
also the bottom of the transducer and the rubber mat they used has had reactions with each other that destroys the bottom of the puck for a small few. best to remove that mat and drill drain holes in the puck holder or lay it on it's side like i used to until i bought their new lithium shuttle.

so if a pinch cut fried the mother board, it is a warranty issue, in my opinion, due to design of the spacing for the transducer to fit it under the head unit and get it out and back and forth and the very soft jacket used for the transducer cable they were going to improve and know about. they could depute it was a pinch cut from the head unit is all they might say. it needs a beefier cable at least for that area. they are aware of the soft jacket/casing and told me they were going to change it for the better. and i see they raised the cost of it by 60$ so to me that means they should have updated the cable, but i don't know for sure. either way, they are aware and should take care of their own problem they created, if that is whats happening to you.
it never happened to me because i am aware of the situation and made sure to always protect that area of the cable and always lay the ducer on it's side so it couldn't hit the head unit at any time.

never heard of a bad experience with marcum support. this mike person sounds like he needs to be trained much better than he has been. so go around him please.
i've never heard of his name before today and i used to call them off and on and new most of the "gang" from talking on the phone with them.

so do you have a pinch cut or a insulation separation? did you take a picture of it?

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Three times.I noticed the insulation pulling back from the ducer and noticed it was louder than it should be, tried putting some rtv on it before contacting Marcum.Told the guy on the phone the story and he made it sound like this wasnt going to be an issue,send it in well get it fixed kind of deal.All I wanted was a new ducer and he insisted there would be other issues,so I spent a ridiculous amount of money overnighting it to him to speed up the process,took three weeks to find out they are Fn me over.Now I cant get anyone to answer a call or return a call.If you read reviews on FB MANY people have received the same kind of service.This is not an isolated situation.Do you have a phone number for someone that would pick up the phone?
Dont ask

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:17 AM »
i don't facebook. do you have a link for this?

if they are going down hill it would be good to know. your story is the first for me of poor service.

if you used it damaged, then maybe they are saying you shouldn't have. they can see the rtv on it and that tells them you used it altered while being damaged.

you need to speak with some one other than mike some how. i know this is the time of year they will be over their heads in work, but they still need to take care of customers.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:03 AM »

it goes on and on...
Dont ask

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I just want them to send it back to me so I can burn it,over it.
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.