New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131479 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #300 on: Mar 08, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Yo Nykonsdream, nice post and pictures my friend. Looks like a good meal to me. Check your message board  (pm,s)

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #301 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:07 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Had a great day Sunday. Fished with a couple of ladies from Fulton. Fishing buddies who were not used to fishing on ice, but quickly adapted their skills from soft water fishing to hard water.

Ann and Holly helped drag the shanty out and back. Set it up and occupy it with the aid of my heater of course. They quickly managed the first 10 keepers and haughtily threw them out through the flap of the tent onto the ice with the comment “what’s the matter Boggey, how come you haven’t caught anything yet?” Did I mention they were old fishing buddies? Masters of needling.

Well guys I want you all to know after the first 5 innings (hour) them Gals had old Boggey down pretty bad. Like 10 to zip. I couldn’t catch a keeper. Then slowly but surely old Boggey picked up the pace. By the 7th inning I caught up with the girls sitting in the nice warm shanty eating their snacks and drinking their hot chocolate.

By the time they opened the flap on the shanty, I had fish scattered all around the shanty and nearly matched their count. Boggey 11 girls 22. Hey, there was 2 of them don’t you know :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:. Just sayin.

Did I mention despite the competition aspect we all still remain old fishing buddies. Heck. In a couple weeks i will be sitting in the Starcraft with them gals sharpening their “needle craft”. You think? Next short story will be on mff. Stay tuned

Boggey

Boggey

Sunday’s catch
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #302 on: Mar 09, 2021, 04:03 AM »
Nice catch Jim and ladies,thanks for the updates and stories arm is feeling good and hopefully be good to go Friday

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #303 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:27 AM »
Nice catch Jim and ladies,thanks for the updates and stories arm is feeling good and hopefully be good to go Friday

Yo Bob,

Glad to hear you are healing so well. Don’t overdo it my friend. There are plenty of fish in the Pond. The bite and size have improved this last week. I’ll be out there today sitting on my pail over my new “honey hole “ somewhere on the Pond.

Boggey

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #304 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:10 AM »
Boggey, sounds like a great day on the ice. Nothing wrong with giving the girls a "start" out of the gate. There was a 3 day contest on the lake this past weekend. Biggest walleye was just over 27", perch 14+ inches and pike in the mid 40's. Most of the shanties were off the lake yesterday...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #305 on: Mar 09, 2021, 09:18 AM »
Nice job again Boggey. Glad to hear your better Bob. Good luck. Sitting here at the Point .... behind a computer....
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #306 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Oh boy John I don’t know how you do it good luck and stay safe buddy

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #307 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Yo Jigger & John

You missed a great day. No women today just me and another old timer, jack. Great guy He and I cleaned out the perch at the south end of the Pond. Don’t anyone bother fishing at that end tomorrow. Jack and I caught them all. My buddy Dallas came up from Plainville and picked up the few Jack & I missed, so don’t no one bother coming down to the south end tomorrow, I repeat there ain’t any perch left at the south end of the Pond :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Sincerely Yours Boggey  :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:44 AM »
Nice 😑😑😑😑😑🤣🤣🤣

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #309 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Fished south end again. Apparently some perch moved back in after Jack Dallas and I cleaned them out yesterday. ;D ;D ;D

It was warm but windy on the Pond today. Granular corn snow on top. Had excellent bite where I was fishing. Had to sort through them though. Managed 37 keepers. Lost 2 lures to the slime logs, but managed to pull one through the hole with my perch rod and 2# test line. Fun day. Started to spit some rain when I walked off the ice.

Yes we lost some ice today, however I was still fishing on 10 inches of ice when I left. Tonight’s rain and creek flows are bound to deteriorate the ice further and faster tonight. Be careful out there tomorrow. The gas holes and some fishing holes have opened up significantly and will continue expanding through tonight and tomorrow. Children have no place on the ice from here on out.

Be cautious if you are going out tomorrow. Please observe all safety protocols, including maybe not going out at all. Attached a picture of my 28” perch.

OH NO! That’s not a perch, it’s a slime log.  :nono: :nono: :nono:😀😀😀😀

Boggey

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #310 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:04 PM »
Well done Boggey
I live back in the woods you see

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #311 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:14 PM »
 New Old Guy/Boggey congrats to you and your friends on the past couple of successful outings. Also thank you for the season long reports of ice conditions at Sandy Pond.
  Steve

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #312 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:58 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

It’s been a good year for me on the Pond. Got to fish with a lot of my children, grandkids and friends. The bite improved as I learned the new hiding spots .

Didn’t get to fish with Jigger or The Krackin this year. Stu and I got together a couple times. Made a lot of new friends this year. I drove around to all tha accesses this morning. Wigwam was good this morning, my private access at Blind Creek is deteriorating. Might get on by foot and need a plank to get off this evening. That’s how fast it is deteriorating.

Do not want to post any conditions as the Pond is vast and variable. Personally, I am packing it in for the season. Headed up north this weekend and next week. Even up there although they have more to lose, they too are only a week or two dehind us.

In closing, Hope to see you all on the Pond next year. I am going to get the Starcraft serviced and grease the wheel bearings on the trailer to get ready for “ice out” at Kring’s in a few short weeks. I will be switching over to “myfishfinder”. Maybe we can all pick Up the conversation over there eh? Stay safe and please balance the risk/reward of late season ice fishing.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #313 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:57 AM »
boog  ya did a great job and were very informative on this thread and it was great whenyou shared stories of the grand children fishing  ^5 my friend we will see you on the river i hope

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:37 AM »
It has been great following along, thanks for sharing.

Offline sawdust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #315 on: Mar 12, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Well done Dude! Greatly enjoyed your posts. Maybe someday I’ll have time to come up and try the pond and hopefully bump into you.

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #316 on: Mar 12, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I really enjoyed following the activity of the pond this season!  Thank You and best of luck to you Boggey.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Thanks Jim. You make it special. We did get to Sodus once. Will make a better effort to fish the Pond late next year. To all you people who have read or shared on this post thank you. Seems like we have a decent bunch on here. I said earlier that we NEED a day of circle the shanty’s next year on Sandy Pond....late Feb or early March. Thanks all and good luck open water season.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:30 AM »
Always look forward to your updates and stories. See you on the "warm" water...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline raudlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:41 AM »
     No doubt the most the best pond reports incorporating facts and humor. Thank you and have a great open water experience.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #320 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:38 PM »
Kracken...Boggey...all ...

Greatly enjoyed the Sandy Pond thread this year...indeed...WE SHOULD DEF PICK A SATURDAY IN LATE FEBRUARY /  EARLY MARCH NEXT YEAR and circle the shantys - it's a date...let's not forget to do it!!!  Let's start an informal derby...the Ice Shanty Classic...or...Invitat ional...!

Kracken and Boggey - I am a seasonal Pond Rat...up there and boating most weekends from open (April 1st) to close (November 15th)...

Let's see if we can get together on the pond this summer - maybe even at the beach (?)...I'm buyin'

PM me.

Arkangel...OUT!!!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Mar 17, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Cool we went forget

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #322 on: Mar 18, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Yo guys & Gals,

Not posting any conditions this late in the season, but will note I saw several walkers and one shanty out there this morning.

Arkangle, Kraken, Stu, Jigger, all. I would love to see you all on the open water this summer or over on the beach along the cut. Great excuse for a cookout.

I haven’t had my fill of ice fishing yet. Still traveling north every other day. Have had my way with the crappy and the perch on Goose. I’m headed up tomorrow to fish with my good friend Joefish on LOTI , his home ice. He is sure as always to give me a few pointers on them perch and crappies. Sorry to say this is the only time we managed to fish together this year. We both got our shots so all should be good unless he puts a real whooping on me.😋😋😋.

If you haven’t fished with Joe, try to do so. He is a real gentleman and a credit to the IS community. See you in the am Joe

Boggey

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #323 on: Mar 24, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Well Bog, as always, it was a pleasure.  Glad we got some quality time on the ice with you.  Probably one of the better years I've had, and nothing to do with the bite. I thought when my girls growed up on me and moved to college and other states the fun was over, I was wrong!  Being able to have old friends meet new friends and introducing them to our paradise we call "The Pond"  cant make me happier.  And then finally making the time to just get on the ice and spending that time with friends and family is the best.  I find as I get older, work will always be there, and I tend to take more time from work to enjoy my time with friends and family.  Just imagine, after only 50 short years everything my elders have always told me is finally starting to sink in to this thick skull! Bog, I have no doubt I'll be seeing you throughout the warmer weather both on and off the water, especially now that you are right around the corner. Have a great summer all, glad to hear everyone was safe and productive.  Stay healthy!     
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #324 on: Mar 24, 2021, 11:45 AM »
Boggey...Kracken...Stu ...and fellow Pond Rats...

I will take you up on your offer of warm / open water boat beach and grill gathering(s) this summer at the pond - it's a DATE!  Been doing that for over 30 years now.

We (generally speaking) avoid the crowded cut...we affectionately refer to it as Bird-$!@# Beach.  Our daughter used to work at Upstate Medical - and she tells us about the dozens of kids they treat there each year from playing in the warm tidal pools (you get the picture).   :sick:

We usually head out the cut and go north - finding clean sand and moving water. 

Incidentally - and just from reading your posts - I think we are closer (on land) then you may think.  We're just off of Kiblin Shores Rd a couple hundred yards past the old Broke Down Palace (See...NOW I have your attention - because I know - YOU KNOW - where that used to be).

I don't check Ice Shanty as much as I do in the winter...but if anyone wants to PM we could share cell numbers for spring-summer-fall gathering opportunities.

Chris (ArkAngel)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #325 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:10 AM »
Boggey...Kracken...Stu...and fellow Pond Rats...

I will take you up on your offer of warm / open water boat beach and grill gathering(s) this summer at the pond - it's a DATE!  Been doing that for over 30 years now.

We (generally speaking) avoid the crowded cut...we affectionately refer to it as Bird-$!@# Beach.  Our daughter used to work at Upstate Medical - and she tells us about the dozens of kids they treat there each year from playing in the warm tidal pools (you get the picture).   :sick:

We usually head out the cut and go north - finding clean sand and moving water. 

Incidentally - and just from reading your posts - I think we are closer (on land) then you may think.  We're just off of Kiblin Shores Rd a couple hundred yards past the old Broke Down Palace (See...NOW I have your attention - because I know - YOU KNOW - where that used to be).

I don't check Ice Shanty as much as I do in the winter...but if anyone wants to PM we could share cell numbers for spring-summer-fall gathering opportunities.

Chris (ArkAngel)
You meant south of the cut RIGHT  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #326 on: Mar 25, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Huh...?   Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah...right...righttt ttttttttt...!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #327 on: Apr 19, 2021, 05:00 AM »
 Look what happened to all that money for dredging

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #328 on: Apr 19, 2021, 06:31 AM »
Remember when that blob of sand in front of Klein Island was the deep spot on the pond? And the water was clear all year long. And the dunes were huge just south of the channel.
 When the pond was an actual bay off lake O not what it is now. Need a flat bottom southern duck boat to get out this year.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #329 on: Apr 19, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Sad...

30 years we have been going up to the Pond - never seen anything like this.

We "opened" this weekend and all is well - no runs, no drips, no errors - success..!

Have not been out to the beach/cut yet...but there is no shortage of pictures and video of that area...hoping the tri-toon can get through to the big lake.

Has anyone had a chance to experience the cut yet...?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.