Author Topic: 42" multi-species rod recommendation  (Read 3659 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
42" multi-species rod recommendation
« on: Sep 22, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I need some suggestions. I've been testing 36" rods over the past 5 years and am ready to start testing a 42" version. I'm in the process of designing a species specific rod, but would like it to be versatile enough for multi-species predator fishing. 

These are the primary species that will be targetted:
Catfish, Walleye,  and pike....not necessarily in that order.  Rod must be able to handle 1/8 oz.- 3/4 oz. lures.

Here are the issues I've had with the current species-specific rods on the market. 

Pike/Makinaw rods:
They are built like telephone poles with poor sensitivity. Although plenty of backbone, not the rod for the job.

Walleye specific rods:
Although the text on the rod blank says walleye....it should probably say Small Walleye. I have found the eye rods (even Thorne Bros.) to get overloaded when fishing a lure over 1/4 oz. in weight. Not to mention, when a fish larger than 2 lbs. bites they lack the backbone for propper hookset and poor action for fighting larger fish.

So basically I'm at a loss for finding the perfect rod that balances backbone/sensitivity. Any suggestions from my fellow iceheads?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 42" multi-species rod recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I wont spend a lot of money on a ice rod but I can tell you the best rod I have for doing what you want to do is a half of a spinning rod I found at a flea market and I used the handle off a ultra light rod that I got with the same bunch I got 5 rods total for 15 bucks I still buy rods at the flea market if there cheap to make jigging rods out of and you get the satisfaction of making it yourself before you know it you will have so many rods to choose from and every one is a custom rod ;D

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I'm like BIGCREW at present, but I find your question very interesting. Have a few extra coins in the piggy bank this fall, which may result in my first rod not cobbled together by myself. Hope lots of suggestions in answer to your post.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2014, 12:06 AM »
I'm in the process of making a hole hopping rod for smaller jigs n spoons 1/8-1/4 oz for walleye and perch.  I went with MHX 42" walleye blank and cut 2" off butt end.  This is the lighter of their 2 42" rods.  It has the right action and power for this application.  The heavier version I doubt can handle 3/4 but I can't say for certain.  If you have a decent rod currently with backbone you could tear it apart and custom taper it if its a solid carbon blank.  I have done this to a couple of my older rods and even brand new mhx blanks.
]

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Ryno.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2014, 11:50 AM »
I need some suggestions. I've been testing 36" rods over the past 5 years and am ready to start testing a 42" version. I'm in the process of designing a species specific rod, but would like it to be versatile enough for multi-species predator fishing. 

These are the primary species that will be targetted:
Catfish, Walleye,  and pike....not necessarily in that order.  Rod must be able to handle 1/8 oz.- 3/4 oz. lures.

Here are the issues I've had with the current species-specific rods on the market. 

Pike/Makinaw rods:
They are built like telephone poles with poor sensitivity. Although plenty of backbone, not the rod for the job.

Walleye specific rods:
Although the text on the rod blank says walleye....it should probably say Small Walleye. I have found the eye rods (even Thorne Bros.) to get overloaded when fishing a lure over 1/4 oz. in weight. Not to mention, when a fish larger than 2 lbs. bites they lack the backbone for propper hookset and poor action for fighting larger fish.

So basically I'm at a loss for finding the perfect rod that balances backbone/sensitivity. Any suggestions from my fellow iceheads?

Tuned-Up Custom Rods...if they ain't got it...they will build it but don't wait...they are probably already smoking busy...call them...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:08 PM »

Tuned-Up Custom Rods...if they ain't got it...they will build it but don't wait...they are probably already smoking busy...call them...

I bought a couple of the TUC rods last year and not super impressed. Not gonna bash them on the net but would happily PM you my experience if you wish.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline SODAKIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I would look at Glacial Lakes Outdoors Rods...They are a fairly new company on the scene but are the best at custom building rods to your needs. While they have their main line of rods; The Powerpan, King Perch and Eye Candy. They will assist you in building a truly custom rod to your specifications; from selecting the blank that meets your needs to wrap and guide selection. Their website is www.glaciallakesoutdoo rs.com.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:10 PM »
PM me Da jigger.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Just ordered some more stuff from mudhole and picked up 2 of mhx 42" walleye blanks.  I will report back how it compares to the lighter version I built.  I figured would try em just to see...can always custom taper them to my needs.  Just handling the 40" I made around the house I can't wait to get it on the ice...feels awesome!!
]

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:18 PM »
St. Croix Legend 48" ML. It's around $60, bit pricey but great backbone and sensitive tip. Comes with nice Ti spring bobber. Handles anything from 8" croppie to large pike and walleye.

Offline nesd44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Was thinking about ordering some of the MHX walleye blanks. Do mostly perch/walleye jigging would be very interested to see how yours turn out.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:31 AM »
Was thinking about ordering some of the MHX walleye blanks. Do mostly perch/walleye jigging would be very interested to see how yours turn out.
Are you wanting a longer 40"+- rod?  The longer mhx walleye rods have a slower action.  The walleye wizard is what I would call a fast action and the panfish king is closer to an extra fast.  The panfish king is my favorite blank to build, I can very easily make it a very fast and sensitive rod with amazing back bone.  Now if your wanting a longer rod go with the walleye wizard since its 36" and the panfish king is only 30".
]

Offline BritinCanada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Try Brickers Custom rods   he can make a rod with interchangeable blanks   for you

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:27 PM »
The wife got me a TB professional 42" for Christmas. Seems a little heavy for the application, but I will test it very soon.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:42 PM »
I would look at Glacial Lakes Outdoors Rods...They are a fairly new company on the scene but are the best at custom building rods to your needs. While they have their main line of rods; The Powerpan, King Perch and Eye Candy. They will assist you in building a truly custom rod to your specifications; from selecting the blank that meets your needs to wrap and guide selection. Their website is www.glaciallakesoutdoo rs.com.

I had GLO design me a custom rod. Good lord am I one happy customer.  Fished it twice now-fell in love with the action and sensitivity. For those of you that are very serious ice-heads, take a look at this company. They make a great product. I will be ordering another rod next season.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Another great company is Thorne Bros.  I have four of their rods and one is that size.  They make a bunch of different legths and it helps they're in my back yard so I can actually go look at them before deciding. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:51 PM »
I own a 32" walleye sweetheart and a 42" professional series. I will be testing the Prof. this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.