Author Topic: 13Fishing Teardrop  (Read 25206 times)

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
13Fishing Teardrop
« on: Jul 06, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Did anyone see what 13Fishing announced the other day.

http://store.13fishing.com/c/ice_reels_inline_teardrop

It looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what kind of applications it would be for.  It looks like a baitcaster fell in love with a spinning reel and they popped out a kid. 

I'm starting to get excited for all the other companies to start introducing their new product lines.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 13Fishing Teardrop
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Exactly!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2013, 05:30 PM »
That is one odd looking reel to say the least.  Thank you for posting the site since I've never heard of them before.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2013, 08:31 AM »
there are really not too many reels designed for us icefishermen(and women).  its about time somebody stepped up to the plate! You see reels designed and re-tweeked year after year. There are fishing reels geared towards every fisherman but us. But then again, you can go out with a spool of line and a hook and have fun on the ice. While this is not the "be all, end all" of the icefishing reelworld, I think it keeps the ball rolling in the right direction.

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2013, 09:56 AM »
this looks aweseome
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2013, 10:01 AM »
nice looking reel ,but too spendy for me.
TEAM ICEHEAD

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2013, 03:06 PM »
They are pretty spendy but I think I'm going to try one. I like the idea of having the advantage of no line twist and being able to use a normal spinning rod too. I think it might be nice to have a decent diameter spool to keep the line memory from being so tight. 13 fishing certainly seems to be thinking outside the box for us ice guys and I couldn't be happier about it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2013, 07:53 AM »
I'm going to pass on the reel but I did find a nice new rod I want from the site.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I'm going to pass on the reel but I did find a nice new rod I want from the site.

Their Whiteout Combo just won 2013 ice fishing combo of the year at iCast this last week.  It's a great combo.  I like the wicked too.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2013, 11:45 AM »
I preordered two from the 13 Fishing Web Site a few months ago, along with two new Whiteout 29.5" Ice Rods.  Got an email today that they have been released.  Should be getting shipping info soon.
This is gonna be one sweet ice season!  ;D

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

It looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what kind of applications it would be for.  It looks like a baitcaster fell in love with a spinning reel and they popped out a kid. 

I talked with a dealer about this reel and this is what they told me.  The theory behind the reel was to build a reel that would have the characteristics of a fly reel with a larger arbor preventing line twist and spinning jigs into a reel that ran more like a spinning reel and that is what they came up with. 

IMHO it is just down right ugly and for 120 bucks it better light a smoke and bait a hook too.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2013, 07:43 AM »
I talked with a dealer about this reel and this is what they told me.  The theory behind the reel was to build a reel that would have the characteristics of a fly reel with a larger arbor preventing line twist and spinning jigs into a reel that ran more like a spinning reel and that is what they came up with. 

IMHO it is just down right ugly and for 120 bucks it better light a smoke and bait a hook too.

That would be that dealer's opinion.  Something new brings skepticism.  It's a "straigth-line" reel, just like their previous two models and like a few others on the market; with some added features (nice features by what I see and have been told by those that have handled the reel).  Definitlly reduces line twist and can aide in getting your lure back down to the fish quicker.  Really depends on what you are fishing for and how you are fishing, i.e. depth.  Some of us can do with a stick and a few feet of string.
I always like the "new" stuff; I can afford it and I like to play when it comes to fishing through the ice.  That's all.  @)
If these reels and rods don't work out for me they will go to one of my sons to enjoy.  :)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2013, 10:28 AM »
That would be that dealer's opinion.  Something new brings skepticism.  It's a "straigth-line" reel, just like their previous two models and like a few others on the market; with some added features (nice features by what I see and have been told by those that have handled the reel).  Definitlly reduces line twist and can aide in getting your lure back down to the fish quicker.  Really depends on what you are fishing for and how you are fishing, i.e. depth.  Some of us can do with a stick and a few feet of string.
I always like the "new" stuff; I can afford it and I like to play when it comes to fishing through the ice.  That's all.  @)
If these reels and rods don't work out for me they will go to one of my sons to enjoy.  :)

No not the dealers opinion what they were told by the company.  According to what this dealer was told that was their theory behind the development of the reel, a straight line reel that ran more like a spinning reel rather than a fly reel.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2013, 01:31 PM »
OK.
Here is the "deal" direct from the 13 Fishing Site (sorry - no theory):
The New Teardrop Ice Reel delivers everything Ice anglers asked 13 to design. A ultra sleek light composite body surrounds the narrow spool, and Japanese high spin bearings deliver even the lightest ice jigs to the bottom with ease. The push button thumb bar free spool release is easy to use and familiar for any angler that has fished open water. Instant anti-reverse, oversize line window to reduce ice build up, and a ridiculously smooth carbon drag system are all featured in this inline zero line twist design. Join the Teardrop Revolution!
And the Specs:
Material   Composite Construction
Gear Ratio   6.2:1
Drag   Carbon
Anti-Reverse   Instant Stop
Total Bearings   8BB including 2 Japanese High Spin Spool Bearings
Design   Teardrop Shape

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2013, 02:10 PM »

I had the teardrop in my hands months ago , nice reel , but I'm getting another 6061 , I beat the tar out of it last winter on eyes and perch , and a few lake trout and i matched it up with a 28"wicked med rod great combo IMO ,and the tear drop is going to sell pretty well I think

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Personally, I can't wait to try it.   I should have my hands on it Wednesday.

After purchasing and maintaining a several thousand dollar ice fishing arsenal, I hardly worry about spending 120$ on a new product to try it out.  Especially when 13 fishing has quickly built a reputation for quality, if I don't like it, I doubt I'll lose out on more than 30$ all said and done.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Have the new teardrop reels and whiteout rods in my hands  ;D  Pretty nice.  reading the insert and looking at it - looks like it's made by Okuma for 13 Fishing.  Nice piece of equipment.  Can't wait to get it on the ice - I think the two new rigs are going out on my boat, or down the sipping dock with my LX7 for some break in and familiarization time.  @)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I just went and bought one of these. The retrieve ratio is insane! My dealer said it'll drop a 1/32 ounce jig as if it weighed an ounce. Like Chinaski said, if I don't like it, I can sell it. However, I just looked at my rods to see how it felt on it, and that sucker is heavy! It's gotta be the heaviest inline ice reel on the market. They certainly didn't think about the weight. Oh well, I'll be putting it on my TB Quiverstick.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Are people using these reels for pan fish or lake trout and walleye?  How much 6lb line can fit on the reel.  I think the black Betty reel does not hold a lot of line if I remember correctly

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2013, 02:58 PM »
180 yards of 6 lb. 250 yards of 4lb and 300 yards of 2 lb

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Are people using these reels for pan fish or lake trout and walleye?  How much 6lb line can fit on the reel.  I think the black Betty reel does not hold a lot of line if I remember correctly
Just finished winding my two new teardrops, each with 150 yds 5lb. PowerPro (room for 200 yards, easy).  I intend to use these mainly for eyes.  I always seem to run into some crappies in the same homes though!  Fishing in 20 to 30 ft of water, sometimes up to 50.  I've got a BB 6061 from last year and put the same line on it.  You would not get as much mono of the same line weight.  That 5lb. PowerPro is like my wife's thread she uses for sewing fine fabrics.
I think I'm really going to like these reels - seem to be really "smooth" with a nice drag system and great retrieve ratio.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2013, 03:43 PM »
The teardrop advertises that there is a deadstick alarm which I assume would be a clicker. It also advertises instant anti-reverse. It says both of these things on the box they come in as well as online, however, these features don't exist. That's false advertising. My first 13 fishing product. For 120 bones you'd think they would of got it right.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2013, 03:47 PM »
My dealer said it'll drop a 1/32 ounce jig as if it weighed an ounce.

FISHFORPIKE, Any truth to that?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Their website said it'll drop a 1/64 oz like nothing. I'd have to see it to believe it. Just got off the phone with 13 fishing. They said there's definetaly no bait alarm and that the box is wrong. And for the anti instant reverse, he said that you can't back reel and if you try to, that there is no play. And that this is instant anti reverse. I guess I was expecting to be able to back reel like on other inline reels. My reel is not spooled up, so I'm interested in seeing what FISHFORPIKE has to say as well.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Philly,  FISHFORPIKE is all spooled up! I'm interested in seeing what he says too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Well, I would say it is "instant anti-reverse".  As for dropping 1/32 or 1/64 oz. Lure like "nothing"  -  I'd say that's what my setup does with 1/64 oz.  "near nothing" and that's in air, not water.  Not surprising to me.  I'd say that would be dependant on LOTS of variables.  What line?  What weight line?  How much line?  How "tight" is the line wound?  Given the very best of all variables, it would likely drop that 1/64 oz. lure.  Makes absolutely no difference to me; that's not what I bought the reels and rods for.  I will likely never have less than 1/4 oz. Lure on my setups.  More like 1/2 oz.  "the bigger the lure, the bigger the fish".
I definitely need some time to get acquainted with these setups.  They are "different" and I like them.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Cool, thanks!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Forester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Looks like these are out to retailers already!  They sure look like they would be fun to check out.

http://anglersguidehq.com/black-betty-tear-drop-in-line-ice-reel/

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Looks like these are out to retailers already!  They sure look like they would be fun to check out.

http://anglersguidehq.com/black-betty-tear-drop-in-line-ice-reel/

Yes they are.  That's how 13 Fishing works.  If you order from them, on line, they have one of their dealers ship the item to you.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Havent tried the Teardrop yet but my 6061's will drop a 3-4mm Fiska as fast or faster than any of my spinning reels.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.