Author Topic: best light,waterproof and warm boots to replace my favorite mickeys.  (Read 8759 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
I ended up buying the Lacrosse 1600 boots, not sure I like the feel. I still like my old Sorels. Today we were on a drive and noticed a sign Alpaca gear for sale, it was a local farmer who has a few Alpacas but does not make socks. He sells some brands in his shed, I bought a pair today for $20, they feel great but need to test them.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muck Arctic Pro’s for me. I wear a 14 shoe and got a 14 Muck. I wear a thermal ultra light liner and a heavy Marino wool sock (85% wool or better). The fit is perfect for me and they aren’t heavy IMO. I suggest trying any footwear on before you buy them. What works for some doesn’t work for others.

Another thing to consider is how your boots will impede you’re driving ability if you plan on driving with them on. I know it might not be an issue for some but a big clunky pair of boots can reek havoc on my accelerator. My Arctic Pro’s don’t do that. For being a size 14 boot they are pretty low profile and light weight. I drive a 2006 HHR, I’m 6’ tall and about 230#’s. Space is pretty limited as it is and I have no problem driving in those boots.

I also wore them in a river once and fished for steealhead for about 4-5 hours and my feet stayed dry and warm the entire time. Hole slush is a non-issue.

This. I have a pair of Baffin Eigers and they are the warmest boot, but they are too bulky to drive a car/truck with. I bring an old crappy pair of snowmobile boots that I use for driving.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I ended up buying the Lacrosse 1600 boots, not sure I like the feel. I still like my old Sorels. Today we were on a drive and noticed a sign Alpaca gear for sale, it was a local farmer who has a few Alpacas but does not make socks. He sells some brands in his shed, I bought a pair today for $20, they feel great but need to test them.

u will love the alpaca socks.  one of the best purchases i have made in the last few years. 

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
Muck boots are the best IMO. I have arctic sports

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
Baffin Impact boots are what I wear. Very warm and comfortable.

I used to wear Mickey's but they were so heavy.  The Baffin Impacts are also rated to -148F.  They are not nearly as cheap as Mickey's. The Baffin Impacts run around $150-$200.

Forgot to mention: they fit snug, so get a size larger if you are interested in these.

Tight lines.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Warmest boots I have ever had are the Cabela's trans Alaskan . Hands down !!! Light but big and bulky .

X2

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Warmest boots I have ever had are the Cabela's trans Alaskan . Hands down !!! Light but big and bulky .

x3
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
well I'm not liking the mucks so far.i haven't been icefishing in them yet but sitting in the boat steelheading ive noticed my toes getting cold.it  was about 27 degrees out.i only had crap socks on tho so I will put a base layer sock with my wool over them but..i haven't had cold feet in over 20 years with my mickeys.just wish my hips could still handle the weight of them while walking..

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
It will be a very sad day if I ever have to give up my Mickey mouse boots, have had them filled with water and they still keep my feet warm, even in our temps.

Offline Kevauron

• IceShanty Rookie
Extratuf. I work outside and have never had a better boot. 1 size big, heavy socks on subzero days. Plain white cotton if warmer. Hunting or fishing they are the way to go.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
just a little update on the muck arctic pros.was out standing in a ft of water and slush for 8 hrs and feet were barely cold at the end of the day.it was 9 degrees out.i wore regular socks with 70% wool over them.should be alright in 20 to 30 degrees tho.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just switched this year from my old bunny, mickeys, boots to muck arctic pros. Much lighter and my feet seem to stay just as warm.  I also like the fact that they are quite a bit taller which keep you drier and legs warmer.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got some Baffin titans, super light, can’t wait to try them. Says good to -148 don’t think I will need that feature

How did they work out ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.